AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does more power in a receiver provide? Just more loudness or better sound? I am testing a 90watts receiver. When I turn the volume from the mid level, it is too loud for me. Does that mean that I don't need a receiver with more 90watts? By the way I have Rocket 450s and Big Foot as the LCR speakers.

·
Registered
243 Posts
When you double the power you only gain 3 decibels of volume. But when you run more power you get way better bass & overall sound even @ low levels. Imo it's nice to have more for the dynamics like a sudden explosion or say the beat of a drum.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaysmit /forum/post/14180899

What does more power in a receiver provide? Just more loudness or better sound? I am testing a 90watts receiver. When I turn the volume from the mid level, it is too loud for me. Does that mean that I don't need a receiver with more 90watts? By the way I have Rocket 450s and Big Foot as the LCR speakers.

Your receiver will do just fine.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Size of room the larger = more watts type of music and movies with lots of dynamics=

more watts and running speakers full range =more watts or crossed over to low=more

watts.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Does it sound good to you below half volume? When you cranked it did it sound too loud because of distortion or just plain too loud? There's a big difference.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I have to agree with chatanika. There's a point where distortion creeps in. I used to turn up the volume to that point, and then back it down until the distortion went away. If it's not loud enough at that position, you either live with it, or spend more money

If your receiver does not have enough money, buying a higher rated receiver may not cut it. As mentioned above, 20 more watts of power near the 100 watt range doesn't make a big difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts