AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, own a Marantz UD5007 for universal player and Marantz SR8002 for amp, whenever I switch from HDMI output of my Marantz to the analog stereo outputs (for say stereo SACDs or regular redbook CDs), I get "PEAK" showing up on the receiver. What exactly does that mean? As far as I tried educating myself that means the analog signal is clipping? Then when I switch to pure direct (supposedly bypassing all internal processing) it shouldn't have that problem anymore correct? Because it is basically saying signal is too much to process? Also if I DO NOT go to pure direct when listening to analog stereo, I have to hit the ATT or attenuate button to get rid of peak light. Does this affect audio quality at all, what is it really doing? Just lowering the overall height or "amplitude" of the analog signal? All this stuff is new to me and I would just like to learn it on a technical level and see how it interprets to an audible difference.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
^+1.

Why ask us, go straight for the horse's mouth.

But yes, *typically* it means your signal is hitting the ceiling and the sound is being distorted, it's asking you lower the gain. My guess is, the ATT is "forced" cropper, lazy button, so you never hit the ceiling but it nevertheless changes the original signal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured the terms were across all audio, manual has a sentence on it and doesn't actually explain what ATT does. Was hoping there were some engineers or pros that could give me a detailed explanation what it is actually doing on a electrical level, and I am confused as to why the analog signals always coming out of universal Marantz player always peak, is this common for all other people who put analog signal from source player into whatever their AV receiver is?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts