AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my new recveiver, a Yamaha RXV2200, which will be driving my 4.1/C3/2.1 Diva's.

According to the manual, the switch should be put in the 4 ohm position(the 4.1's are 4 ohm, according to the label on the back) . I actually tried both, and could not tell a difference either way.

1) So, what actually happens within the receiver when you flick this switch?

2) Should I put it in the 4 or 8 ohm position?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

· Registered
2,188 Posts
Kevin,

The 4.1's are mistakenly labeled 4 ohm. They are in actuallity 6 ohm. Leave the Yamaha on the 8 ohm setting, and it will drive them fine.

· Registered
1,049 Posts
This very good explanation was posted by HAN the other day:

"The issue is heat buildup. The switch is there to help the receiver pass UL or CSA heat safety tests when driving lower impedence loads. When in the 8 ohm position, the receiver outputs it's highest potential wattage. The 4 ohm position lowers the output section's power supply voltage, thus lowering the overall possible heat buildup/wattage. (Measurements I've seen range from around 20 to 40 percent less power at the 4 ohm setting than what's available at the 8 ohm setting.)

You want to consider heat related problems (when using lower impedence speakers in the 8 ohm position) versus the higher risk of amplifier clipping (when running the receiver at high volumes when in the 4 ohm position.) Too much heat can mess up your receiver and clipping can eat tweeters.

Bottom line...

It kinda comes down to ventilation. If your receiver gets a good, constant breath of fresh air, then you're probably fine with the 8 ohm setting. (BTW, don't stack ANY components on top of your receiver. Even slightly blocking the top can cause heat buildup.) But if your Yamaha gets very warm, and you can't really improve the ventilation, then you might want to consider the 4 ohm setting."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.