AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have recently set up a modest home theatre system comprised of an oppo blu-ray player, a denon 3311 a/v receiver and some smallish b&w speakers (in a stereo config with a b&w htm62 centre speaker). I also use, at this time, my iPod -- plugged into the denon via a usb port -- to play music thru the system. When I'm doing so I notice that denon screen shows, among other things, a percentage value that fluctuates from 100% (usually at the start of a playlist) down to values between 60 and 80% ... sometimes as low as 20%. I looked thru the manuals and tried searching online but can't find any info on what that percentage value means. Any clues? Thanks

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaterso47 /forum/post/19641020

Hello,

I have recently set up a modest home theatre system comprised of an oppo blu-ray player, a denon 3311 a/v receiver and some smallish b&w speakers (in a stereo config with a b&w htm62 centre speaker). I also use, at this time, my iPod -- plugged into the denon via a usb port -- to play music thru the system. When I'm doing so I notice that denon screen shows, among other things, a percentage value that fluctuates from 100% (usually at the start of a playlist) down to values between 60 and 80% ... sometimes as low as 20%. I looked thru the manuals and tried searching online but can't find any info on what that percentage value means. Any clues? Thanks

It may be the dialnorm kicking in to keep the same volume levels. Not sure though as I don't use Denon equipment. Just a guess on my part. The AVr will usually show dialnorm in a percentage. Watch it and see if thats whats showing on the AVR's readout.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/19641653

The AVr will usually show dialnorm in a percentage. Watch it and see if thats whats showing on the AVR's readout.

No, dialog normalization value is usually displayed in dBs, either dBs below 0 dBFS or dBs above -31 dBFS.

AJ

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks to you all for the quick replies ... the files on my iPod are Apple Lossless or AIFF and thus quite big, hence the buffering problem?? Also, I noticed that at one point the music simply stopped when the % value was quite low (

BTW, I thought I had posted my original to the 3311 forum ... obviously not, as it turns out.

Still learning ...

rpaterso47

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaterso47 /forum/post/19642086

Many thanks to you all for the quick replies ... the files on my iPod are Apple Lossless or AIFF and thus quite big, hence the buffering problem?? Also, I noticed that at one point the music simply stopped when the % value was quite low (

BTW, I thought I had posted my original to the 3311 forum ... obviously not, as it turns out.

Still learning ...

rpaterso47

Aren't we all still learning? Never would have got that one right without WIWavelength and jdsmoothie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.