AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there's this amp that says on the back

max rms output 400w/4(omega sign here, means ohm?)(40v), sp wiring: class 2 wiring my be used. (stereo)

max rms output 800w/8omega (80v), sp wiring: class 1 wiring shall be used (mono)

(mono) 8-32omega

(stereo) 4-16omega

can someone explain what each part of this means? this is a 2 channel amp, each channel says that under it. I thought you get more wattage when going down on ohm?

and what does it mean by stereo, i can use each channel as stereo?

2wiring, 1wiring? guessing i can't use a single 4ohm speaker on each channel?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
The Greek letter Omega is the standard symbol for Ohms = impedance (4"Omega" = 4 Ohms, for example).

I am not sure what they mean by "Class 1 (= monaural?)" or "Class 2 (= stereo?)" wiring - you would have to look at the owner's manual.

The 400W/4 Ohms (Stereo) means that it will output 400W into 4 Ohm loads. The 800W/8 Ohms (mono) implies that the amps can be series added (to double the power output) into an 8 Ohm speaker.

Since power (W) = V^2/R = I^2 x R = V x I, each amp should be capable of delivering 10 Amps into 4 Ohms (= 40 Volts). 10 Amps into 8 Ohms = 800W for a series (mono) connection. Remember that V = I x R.

Your last 2 items means that, in the stereo mode, each amp can drive 4 Ohm to 16 Ohm speakers (but not necessarily to the same power levels). In the mono (series connection), it can drive 8 Ohm to 32 Ohm speakers (which would make sense for a series, monaural, connection).

Therefore, you certainly should be able to use it for 4 Ohm, stereo, speakers (one speaker per channel). That's what the first and last statements say!

Based on the printed statements, I would guess that the power supply to each amplifier section is current limited to 10 amps and voltage limited to slightly more than 80 Volts, maximum (whichever limit is reached first - depending on the speaker impedance). This is strictly a guess!

NOTE: The statements are a little confusing, since it is extremely unusual for amps to be able to be series connected for mono use. Most "bridgeable" amplifiers use a parallel connection, which would permit use with lower impedance speakers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts