·
Registered
6,908 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernalfer /forum/post/0

Ok i read it so because my Samsung DLP Does 5087 says it does 2:3 pulldown, 24fps is that a good thing?

I heard 24fps has something good to do when it comes to HD-DVD Movies.

I know it's long and complicated, but read through cavu's link again. It's a lot better than my explanation.

I think what you read about the HL-S5087W must have been confusing. What you read meant to say is that using its internal processor the display can convert the 24 frames per second (fps) of film based content (after it's decoded and and converted in the player to a form the display can accept) to the 60 Hz (or fps) that the HL-S5087W displays. All of this processing can introduce artifacts.

Being able to handle 3:2 pulldown to display 24fps content on a native 60 Hz display is a good thing, of course, but a better thing would be if the display could accept direct 24fps input (like you read about with HD-DVD movies) and display it at some frame rate that is a direct multiple of 24 (e.g. 48, 72, or 120 Hz) without having to do the processing involved in 3:2 pulldown. The HL-S5087W does not do that.

HTH

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpie /forum/post/0

Being able to handle 3:2 pulldown to display 24fps content on a native 60 Hz display is a good thing, of course, but a better thing would be if the display could accept direct 24fps input (like you read about with HD-DVD movies) and display it at some frame rate that is a direct multiple of 24 (e.g. 48, 72, or 120 Hz) without having to do the processing involved in 3:2 pulldown. The HL-S5087W does not do that.

HTH

With my set not being able to do the above like you say will that make an immediate impact on PQ. Or will this difference be minimal?

·
Registered
562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernalfer /forum/post/0

With my set not being able to do the above like you say will that make an immediate impact on PQ. Or will this difference be minimal?

Converting 24fps source content to 60fps for display can cause "judder" in some scenes. You can read more about judder in a Wikipedia article here . The link leads right to the part about judder, but the whole article is worth reading IMHO.

I would think it wouldn't be worth worrying too much about. Displays that actually accept direct 24fps input are rare for now (more models might be available in the next year or two, but how knows?), and I'd bet that the Samsung's processor does a good job. For some shoppers who are in no hurry to get a new display, waiting for direct 24fps input in a set that supports 24/48/72/or 120Hz might be worthwhile, but it's certainly not worth returning a display you already have to the dealer, IMHO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.