AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you already know, the good folks at www.theonion.com have a wicked sense of humor. Now they have aimed their stinging wit at those of use who possess a "disturbingly random, mediocrity-filled DVD collection."

Harsh Light of Morning Falls on One-Night Stand's DVD Collection

Quote:
They're the sort of things you'd rent, not buy, if you watch them at all," Pearle said. "Out of the thousands of movies you could own, why would you spend your money on this stuff? Don't you buy a movie because you're somehow passionate about it and want to watch it again and again? Does this guy feel that way about Hard Rain?"

In spite of a wicked hangover, Pearle could not resist hypothesizing about Koenig based on his DVD choices.

"It struck me as weird that the same person would possess both Hellraiser 2 and Holy Man," Pearle said. "What did it mean? That he's a guy with eclectic tastes, and therefore tolerant and open-minded? Or is he just meek and wishy-washy, surrendering his tastes and imagination to arbitrary pop-culture dictates? He seemed like such a smart, cool guy."

Continued Pearle: "I slept with a guy who, at some point in his life, walked into a store and said to the cashier, 'Hi, I would like to purchase this copy of The Legend Of Bagger Vance.'"
ouch

Me? My DVD collection might seem disjointed, but all are movies I feel passionately about and will watch more than once. Examples:

Gandhi, Kubrick Col., Toy Story 1&2, Caddyshack, Die Hard, Weapons of a$$ Destruction, Citizen Cane, Pulp Fiction, Unbearable Lightness of Being, 5th Element, 7 Samurai, Herzog Coll, Star Wars Trilogy, Fletch, F1 Year in Review, Baraka, T2, Silence of the Lambs...

What does it say? I like a good laugh, a good f$§%, a good shoot em up, a good thriller, a good head scratcher, some classics, and every now and then good mindless and ear eye candy to show off the HT. I do try to resist drunken, late night internet shopping sprees and stick to movies I REALLY like, but somehow Moulin Rouge snuck past. Thats a definite re-gift in waiting.

Kurt

·
Registered
111 Posts
My collection indicates I live for concerts and like a lot of action and enjoy a good scare every now and then.

Also indicates I'm not a romantic guy at all. Eeks, how did I ever get married?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Gee, I think mine says, I'm at a point in life where I can impulse buy whatever takes my fancy. :D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
My collection tells me I don't drink enough, and live in the past.

See the bottom portion of http://www.yubyub.net/ht for my collection.

-Jon

·
Registered
135 Posts
I can see what a gal might think of my DVD collection...

"Boy what loser owns a copy of 'It's a Drink, It's a Bomb!' and ENJOYS it?!"

From Reptilicus to My Wife is 18, from Metropolis to Love Hina, Ultraman to the Cannonball Run etc. etc. etc.

Oh well at least I like a lot of different things. Yet I don't own any Hollywood films made in the past 5 years or so.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
...that I'm obsessive/compulsive, and see ckolchak's post

and, with a somewhat obsolete beta collection, that I am unable to learn from earlier mistakes

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Williamson

Also indicates I'm not a romantic guy at all. Eeks, how did I ever get married?
yeah, my collection would show the same thing, if it wasn't for my wife's movies: You've got mail, sleepless in seattle... those are some of the worst, but the list goes on and on. She complains that I buy movies I've never seen that are crap. There are some movies I like that she doesn't like, that she would call crap, then of course there are a few movies I have bought that are crap. I think I'll get rid of those though. She says I should only buy a movie if I intend to watch it over and over again. There are movies that I have that I've only watched once or twice and will most likely not watch again, but I keep them since they are well respected movies and I don't want someone to walk into our place and only see you've got mail. :D

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
1. I'm a cheap b&stard. Almost every DVD I own was either a gift, or bought from Coulumbia House for 5/$25.

2. I've got a thing for Franka Potente. The one exception the the rule above is Run Lola Run which I paid MSRP for.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Avia, Video Essentials, Sound and Vision, and multiple other 'set-up' discs outnumber my movie discs - suggests that I'm a techno geek who apparently spends more time fiddling with the image than actually enjoying it.

htomei

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
That Vickie and I are willing to buy damn near anything that we want to see, as the cost of most DVDs is less than the cost of the two of us going to see a movie in the theater. Besides, having more than 1000 DVDs helps provide camouflage for the real stinkbombs. Although I could assemble a very scary set of 50 or so...as well as several hundred that would be on most film critic's "best" lists.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Williams
That Vickie and I are willing to buy damn near anything that we want to see, as the cost of most DVDs is less than the cost of the two of us going to see a movie in the theater.
Good point - what it says about you is that you like to watch a lot of movies, and you are smart enough to avoid driving to a theatre, waiting in line, etc when you can get the same or better experience at home for the same money (or lest if you sell the discs after), forgetting the cost of your HT of course.

I went to the theater probably 4 times in the past year, and not only because all the movies around me in Germany are dubbed into Deutsch - blah. Just don't care to sit through 95% of the new releases.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Here's some of my DVD's:

The Stand

On the Beach

The Aristocats

Brazil

Pretty in Pink

A Boy and his Dog

The Terminator

Ferris Buellers Day Off

The Atomic Cafe

The Muppet Movie

The 10th Victim

The Last Man on Earth

12 Monkeys

Cafe Flesh

She's All That

Uh-oh...does this mean I'm a fun-loving romantic nihilist?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Quote:
Good point - what it says about you is that you like to watch a lot of movies, and you are smart enough to avoid driving to a theatre, waiting in line, etc when you can get the same or better experience at home for the same money
I'll never forget complaining to a theater manager that Gladiator was playing in mono and that the surrounds were turned off, and the bonehead actually replied, "the movie's not in mono, it's in digital."

Good grief!

Anyway, my dvd library is an eclectic one - Snow White next to Straw Dogs: Criterion, Eraserhead next to Easy Rider, etc. What does that say about me? Who knows...

Two of my most favorite films are Close Encounters of the Third Kind and The Shining. When a friend asked me why I would think of them together, I told him they both evoke a deep wonder of the mysterious and unknown, as well as a dreadful feeling of horror: they're both about fathers who are uncomfortable taking on the responsibilities of parenthood and eventually sacrifice their families in pursuit of their obsession.

Geez, that's also Eraserhead. Ahhh! Freud! Strap me to a chair and headshrink me!

Then again, sometimes a movie is just a movie ;)

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Uh-oh...does this mean I'm a fun-loving romantic nihilist?
If you were, you wouldn't care :D

-Jon

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Mine says that I have movie night every Tuesday, so hopefully something good came out at my local Best Buy....if it sucks you will probably see it up for sale on Half.com on Wed, however due to the extra effort on my part to sell it and send it...it has to really suck. :D

·
Banned
172 Posts
I sold off over half of my 200+ DVDs in the past year. Actually feels like a relief to be able to rid myself of all those movies which I will probably never see again.

When I first started my DVD collection, I was setting out to recapture those wonderful memories of days past when I was literally blown away by all the great movies I have seen. However, after about the 10th DVD, I felt I could no longer relive those moments, no matter how hard I wanted to try. Perhaps it's b/c of a more mature mindset, perhaps it's b/c of a different outlook on life. But times have definitely changed.

My saddest moment was when I realized that Supermans I and II no longer hold that special place in my heart anymore (after the second viewing).

My goal is to trim my entire collection down to ~50. Any takers? I'm currently looking to unload

Schoolhouse rock

Die hard 2, five star

Great blunders of WWII

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kedelbach
Good point - what it says about you is that you like to watch a lot of movies, and you are smart enough to avoid driving to a theatre, waiting in line, etc when you can get the same or better experience at home for the same money (or lest if you sell the discs after), forgetting the cost of your HT of course.
Actually, not true in our case. We also see a huge number of films in the theater, and would not dream of skipping a film in the theater in favor of seeing it at home. We probably see 60+ films in the theater every year...possibly more depending on weather we go to film festivals that year. One year, Vickie managed to see 42 films at the Chicago International Film Festival inside of two weeks!

Not to pick on you, as it might seem like a logical assumption, but Vickie and I are film fans. Our theater, as good as it is (HTPC, 8" CRT Sony front projector, great sound system) still doesn't compare to seeing a film in a theater. And, most importantly, we couldn't imagine waiting several months to see a film. We were in line for the midnight showing of "The Two Towers", we already have our tickets for the midnight showing of "The Matrix: Reloaded".

We have a lot of DVDs so we can choose to watch anything that strikes our fancy. For instance, we watched the film "Girlfight", a great little indy film about a female boxer. So we decided we wanted to see a second feature that night on the same theme. So we watched "Love and Basketball". It's wonderful having a deep enough collection that we can decide things like that on the spur of the moment.

Quote:

I went to the theater probably 4 times in the past year, and not only because all the movies around me in Germany are dubbed into Deutsch - blah. Just don't care to sit through 95% of the new releases.

Kurt
That would be a very different situation. In Chicago, we can see almost any new film in any of dozens of theaters, in the original language. If we were in your position, we might not see as many new films...or we'd concentrate on subtitled films.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I would say mine says that I am a sellout to special effects, movies that make insane money at the box office, and pop culture.....and that I really like the M.Night Shamaylan films (since I own UNBREAKABLE)

The twist would be some foreign films and a slew of the "cool" "kids" movies like Monsters Inc, Shrek, etc....

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.