AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you guys recommend for making backup copies of copy-protected DVDs? And is there software that will also make repairs of scratches or skips in the process? My "CyberLink DVD Suite" won't copy copy-protected discs.

thanx and happy new year

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKent /forum/post/15424079

What would you guys recommend for making backup copies of copy-protected DVDs? And is there software that will also make repairs of scratches or skips in the process?

thanx and happy new year

There are several software programs for making DVD backups. I use DVD Shrink, a free download from UK websites.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts

Quote:

And is there software that will also make repairs of scratches or skips in the process?

DVDs contain extensive error correcting codes (ECC) which will automatically recover the correct data even in the face of fairly significant scratches and mars on the surface of the disc. This is done automatically by the DVD drive itself and has nothing to do with the software.

If the drive itself can't read the disc sufficiently well for the ECC to recover the data, then you're out of luck.

Most software meekly accepts the situation if the drive isn't able to recover the data, but there are some special programs such as ISOBuster which will retry until the cows come home in the hopes that you'll get lucky.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DigaDo: Thanks but I downloaded DVD Shrink and it seems too complex for me. I hit "open disk" and got an error message: "DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Invalid DVD navigation structure." I read a 3rd party guide and it says I need to download more software: Img Tool, DVD decryptor, Daemon Tools, etc etc etc. Too complex for an old man.

Sean, your comment makes sense but I found this review, and the top-rated programs allegedly "restores defective or scratched DVDs". Is that just hype?
http://dvd-copy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

So--"CD Cloner" is full of features and about the lowest priced at $40 for download only. Any opinions?

thanks again

·
Registered
2,256 Posts

Quote:

What would you guys recommend for making backup copies of copy-protected DVDs? And is there software that will also make repairs of scratches or skips in the process? My "CyberLink DVD Suite" won't copy copy-protected discs.

thanx and happy new year

I use DVDFab Platinum and I think it is great (click here) . It is frequently updated to improve performance and for new copy protection.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKent /forum/post/15425061

Sean, your comment makes sense but I found this review, and the top-rated programs allegedly "restores defective or scratched DVDs". Is that just hype?
http://dvd-copy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Well, I'd sure like to know what they mean by "restores defective or scratched DVDs". But it IS software, and it really can't do anything about the data until it's delivered from the drive itself. If the drive can't read the data there's no way I know of for the software to know what it should be.

There might be some tricky things the software could do with multi-session DVDs (ie, pulling off an older version of a file if a newer version is unreadable), but basically I don't see any way to recover data that the hardware can't read.

·
Registered
13,406 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara /forum/post/15426562

I use DVDFab Platinum and I think it is great (click here) . It is frequently updated to improve performance and for new copy protection.

The Free version of DVDFab works the same as the Pro version except it won't burn a DL movie to a DVD5. You can save the movie to your HD and then use Shrink to compress the file on the HD and burn it to a DVD5. An extra step but no cost or pirated SW.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Until two days ago, when they switched from "free lifetime upgrades" to a "paid subscription upgrades" plan (
), the easiest-to-use and most reliable backup system was the SlySoft CloneDVD2/AnyDVDHD combination. They may still be a good buy, depending on what the current purchase arrangements are, but it depends on how many backups you generally do in a year and whether you would benefit from the near-weekly updates SlySoft issues for these applications to cover the latest disc releases and other issues. I don't know if SlySoft still offers their 30-day free trial, if they do you should definitely give it a spin to see if it suits you.

The people who use DVDShrink, DVDFab and other freewares have a lot of patience and don't mind making a lot of technical adjustments, because they feel they're getting better results and/or they just prefer "freeware". Me, I prefer fast one-click backups that always work and don't force me to make decisions about every little fart. I was willing to pay the $60 two years ago for CloneDVD/AnyDVD after testing it for 30 days under free trial. My favorite feature is its ability to preserve the original menus even if you delete bonus features and alternate soundtracks: the menu still functions normally for whatever you included on the backup disc, clicking on an inactive menu item briefly blanks the screen then returns you to the menu: no hardware lockups ever! And its compression scheme is easy to understand: it assumes the disc producer already applied custom compression settings for each scene, and does not attempt to reinvent the wheel. Instead, it applies a straight-across flat compression that follows the original. By viewing the percentage of compression, you can decide whether you need DL media or should delete some features to increase bandwidth. Also you can split a DL title across two SL discs while retaining the original overall menu: very handy.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
for a Mac? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
You could look into getting updated versions of "Mac-The-Ripper" and similar Mac-based solutions. I was never that thrilled with "MTR", but then the popular "DVDFab" products on Windows also leave me cold. Once I tried the SlySoft apps, nothing else seemed as good. Last time I checked, admittedly over a year ago, there was nothing with the feature set of CloneDVD/AnyDVD available for Mac. I'm primarily a Mac user, and they're what I administer at work, but I keep an old Windows box to beat on for DVD backup. The Parallels Windows environment or booting directly into Windows are Intel Mac workaround options: perhaps you could set up a small Windows area on your Mac for DVD backup if you don't find a Mac app you like?

Its also important to factor in the embedded slot-load burners on the Mac laptops, the Mini, and the iMacs. These can be an expensive nightmare to replace when they wear out: even with flawless and simple backup software, I would be leery of taxing these burners with heavy backup duties. If you expect to do a LOT of backups, a PC with cheap easily replaced burners makes more sense (unless you're lucky enough to own a Mac Pro Tower, which uses the same type of "disposable" tray-load burners).

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Backups are few and far between. I don't have kids at home so I don't need endless copies to get beat up.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKent /forum/post/15425061

Thanks but I downloaded DVD Shrink and it seems too complex for me. I hit "open disk" and got an error message: "DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Invalid DVD navigation structure."

DVD Shrink is actually one of the simpler - and yet flexible programs around. Those error messages mean that the disk you're trying to back up has a more recent type of encryption that Shrink cannot handle by itself alone. Since it hasn't been updated in several years, you have to use other programs to rip the DVD to the HDD, and then use Shrink to make it fit to a regular single-layer disk.

"RipIt4Me" (which, when installed downloads DVD Decrypter + FixVTS + DVD Shrink to its directory) is free and works for close to 99% of DVDs presently marketed. It has a "one-click" option for those who can't be bothered to customize the back-up. You should be able to google it and find a download site.

"DVDFabHDDecrypter" is also free and can be used on the occasional disk that doesn't work with RipIt4Me. However once you've ripped the DVD to the HDD, you still have to use "FixVTS" to fix the DVD structure, otherwise the burnt DVD may not play correctly on some DVD players.

I have only once come across a DVD that I couldn't back up with the above programs, in which case "AnyDVD" worked like a charm. AnyDVD is not free, but comes with a 30-day free trial period.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I've used DVD Decryptor/DVD Shrink for years. Some newer DVDS, dvd shrink cannot read. For those I have to go to RipIt4Me, which works every time.

With DVD Decryptor, DVD Shrink, RipIt4Me, and FixVTS.exe you can handle nearly any disc.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford /forum/post/15453991

for a Mac? Any suggestions?

1. Put DVD to be copied into Mac. Open MacTheRipper (a free download). Rip.

2. Eject copied DVD. Put blank DVD-R into Mac.

3. Open Toast (if you don't already own this, buy it).

4. Drag the Video_TS file from the ripped folder to the Toast window. Burn.

Done.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrz /forum/post/15590146

So, how is DVDFab working out for you?

DVD Fab Decrypter works perfectly, is free, and is updated regularly. However, you will need to use DVD Shrink to make your DVD rips fit on a regular single layer DVD+R or DVD-R. And you need DVD Decrypter to burn the DVD as a DVD video (it's a different program from DVD Fab Decrypter altogether) Or you can buy the full version of DVD Fab. So you have a choice of 3 mouse clicks or 1 mouse click.

That settles windows XP or Vista (In Vista, you have to go the the executable for the program, right click, and cliock on "Properties". There's a compatibility tab in the window that pops up, and you can set it for compatibility with XP SP2 and it'll work fine. 32 bit Vista or 64 bit Vista, no difference. Works as it's supposed to.

I wouldn;t mind knowing more about Mac software, but I'd REALLY like to find a good ripper for 64 bit Ubuntu. I found a 9 to 5 program for 64 bit Debian graphical interfaces, but not found anything to rip, not command line or Debian graphical interface. I thought Linux could do anything .... but first I found it to be somewhat uncontent with ATI onboard HD3200 or 3300 video drivers and also sorely lacking in DVD ripping software. Sheesh, do the DVD distributors really expect you to give 6 year olds access to your expensive DVD disks, rather than 50 cent backups?

·
Registered
3,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrinfla /forum/post/15650924

DVD Fab Decrypter works perfectly, is free, and is updated regularly. However, you will need to use DVD Shrink to make your DVD rips fit on a regular single layer DVD+R or DVD-R. And you need DVD Decrypter to burn the DVD as a DVD video (it's a different program from DVD Fab Decrypter altogether) Or you can buy the full version of DVD Fab. So you have a choice of 3 mouse clicks or 1 mouse click.

Shrink-the latest version that was put out, comes with Imgburn, which can burn the reduced file to disc right after Shrink finishes.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I have yet to find a dvd I could not copy with DVD Shrink or DVDFAB Platinum. If you don't want to pony up for Platinum, they have a free version that works excellently.

Free alternative: get DVD Shrink and DVD43. DVD43 works with other ripper programs and removes copy protection. Unlike DVD Shrink, it is updated, so it should handle newer protection schemes.

IMGburn is an excellent free program for burning DVDs after they've been ripped.

Disclaimer: I have not actually used DVD43 in a while. DVDFAB refused to install with DVD43 on my machine, so I removed it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.