AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Marquee 9500LC. I was planning to buy a Leeza or Asimilator. I would like to know what the suggestions are for a DVD player to go with the scaler. I would like to stay in a reasonable price range. Would it be better to get a RP91 with SDI, or mabey get the new Samsung 1000 putting out 1080i and have the scaler deinterlace to 1080p, or perhaps something else. Thanks, Mike

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Unless something has changed, KD is including a SDI modified DVD player (a Panny RP-62) with the HD Leeza as part of the $4K price, giving you a pure digital pathway into the scaler. The aSimilator includes a built-in DVD player (as an option???) or you can insert your own SDI modified DVD player, much like the HD Leeza setup. SDI from the DVD player (or BT.656 in the case of the aSimilator) is about as good as it can get--much better than analog component, upscaled or not.

http://www.keydigital.com/press_rele...calerleeza.doc

http://www.immersiveinc.com/products_asimilator.html

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess my question is two-fold at this point. On the Asimilator with the DVD player built in, will the connection be digital form the player to the scaler? If it is, this would basically be a DVD player outputing 1080P on an unprotected output. Wouldn't this violate some agreement?

If I went with the Leeza, am I better off using sdi and having the scaler start with 480i or am I better off starting with a better signal(like 720p or 1080i from the Samsung) albeit analog.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Blocktrader,

Yes, both SDI adn BT.656 are digital formats (SDI is essentially a serial version of BT.656). Immersive and Key Digital wouldn't be able to sell the units if what they were doing were illegal. It may anger a few companies, but it's not illegal [yet ;-) ].

Usually, keeping the signal digital is the way to go, so stay SDI through the scaler. In the later [analog] case, it depends on how you can connect to your display device. Just minimize the number of A/D->D/A conversions.

-Jon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.