AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post here; so I'll begin by thanking everyone for many enjoyable and informative hours of surfing these forums.

I am seeking opinions and recommendations for a DVD player that will provide excellent video performance with a Faroudja NRS and 50" Panny plasma display. The NRS accepts interlaced component (480i) or RGB.

My price range is open; but I'd like to keep it under $1500 street price. Less is better. ;)

Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
There is a closeout at www.onecall.com on the champagne colored Panasonic RP91, for, I think, $318.

I use a NRS too, and have used it with a number of players, including the RP91, which is excellent as an interlaced player, and also has DVD-Audio.

For what you're after, you don't need to spend any more than this, and, if you look at the reputation of the RP91, it's a great deal. The versatility that you have with the outboard processor permits you to take advantage of something like this.

Good luck.

Nick :cool:

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Nick, I have a similar situation, with an NRS and currently using an older Pannie RV80 interlaced. Do you think the RP91 would be a significant upgrade to this player?

Ron, I believe ABT electronics has the same player for $300 delivered. You might want to check their web site.

Dan

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DanHouck
Nick, I have a similar situation, with an NRS and currently using an older Pannie RV80 interlaced. Do you think the RP91 would be a significant upgrade to this player?

Ron, I believe ABT electronics has the same player for $300 delivered. You might want to check their web site.

Dan
I'm not familiar with that model, Dan, but I would doubt it. I've used lots of players with the NRS, and when you feed it the interlaced signal, they all look pretty good. I will say that the RP91 seemed to have a very high quality black level signal, and color saturation, improved over the interlaced signal of the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5900 (using interlaced outputs).

The build quality and the DVD-Audio feature set of the RP91 are attractive, and it's been written about widely on this forum, usually praised. But the need for good performance on just interlaced outputs could probably put some first generation players as great performers with the NRS.

Nick :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.