Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking at updating my current Sony DVD player for my home theater room and have a question. First I am currently running my NON progressive DVD player through a ISCAN PRO line doubler and then to my NEC XG-110 PJ. Now I am looking at replacing my DVD player with another Sony and was wondering would I get a better pic using a progressive scan DVD player and bypass the line doubler and send it right to the PJ or should I be looking at purchasing a non-progressive DVD player and send it through the line doulber. What will give me the best pic quality?

Thanks Rick

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hi Rick,

Does your 110 take component input? Best to check before buying a Progressive DVD player otherwise you may need to buy a transcoder as well. If it does take component input then the Denon 1600 is a good machine to try feeding direct to the projector.

HTPC is a LOT better though, might be worth a try and would certainly bring the best out of the XG!

PAul

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I agree with Paul. I have an XG1100 and use a Radeon htpc with TheaterTek. If you don't want to go the htpc route I'd suggest an external doubler/scaler that can do better than 480p.

I run my htpc at 1280 x 720. I tried 1440 x 810 but prefer the 720. Paul, what resolution are ou running on yours?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have a transcoder that I use for my HD Box. This will allow me to run a progressive DVD player also. I am not ready yet to make the leap to a HTPC so this would not be an option. What way is going to give me a better image? With a progressive DVD player or one running through a line doubler?

Rick

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I used to have a Quadscan pro that I used with my dlp projector. I switch to a Panasonic RP56 progressive scan player and let the projector take care of the scaling after the signal was de-interlaced.

If I was only concerned with de-interlacing and didn't care about other sources I would go with the progressive scan player.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hey Rick,

I recently got an NEC XG110LC and I'm using a JVC XV-723GD DVD player with a Key Digital Transcoder. I really like this DVD player for a few reasons.

1. It is a DVD-Video and DVD-Audio Player.

2. It has optical and coaxial digital audio out, as well as 6 channel analog audio out.

3. It doesn't have the dreaded Chroma Bug.

4. The deinterlacing in the player is very good, and has a few different modes. This is usefull when the Progressive Flags are set incorrectly in the datastream.

5. The price - I was at an Ultimate Electronics store and they had them on clearance for $188.00 - You might be able to check their website - www.ultimateelectronics.com

Finally, and of course most importantly, picture quality. I really think the JVC has great picture quality. There is great detail in the images it produces. Also, it has some built in video controls which allows you to tweak the chroma and luminance to your liking.

I also have an Iscan V2 which I use for my other SD sources, and I tried running the JVC in interlaced mode and sending both S-Video and composite to the Iscan. There wasn't nearly as much detail in the picture when using the Iscan. I'm sure this has to do with the fact that the component video outs have much more detail the the others.

With your Iscan Pro, you may not notice as much of a difference if you use the component video outs in interlaced mode.

Another player to check out is the Panasonic RP-82. It's getting great reviews and people seem to really like the PQ on this one. I haven't seen it so I can't comment personally.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
480p to an XG110 or XG110LC? Ouch.

If you are HTPC phobic you should be thinking about a Focus Enhancements Centerstage CS-1 outboard scaler. A tad more expensive than an HTPC but very affordable and more importantly a very worthy scaler.

If you want a good HTPC (killer image, btw) but aren't a DIY kinda person send me a PM.

--Jerome

·
Registered
502 Posts
I agree that 480p MAY seem a bit of a waste but I just put 480I into my XG and was suprised as to how good it looked...and how simple it was to operate.

Don't get me wrong, my HTPC at 720 is a lot better but 480p on an 80"wide screen is VERY acceptable for someone who isn't used to seeing 720p or wants to bother with a scaler or HTPC.

Just my opinion,

Alun

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok if I want to build a HTPC what do I want to look for. I have a friend whom is very good at building PC and has done a lot of them. He said that he has these parts that I could have if I want:

Athlon 1.1 with a GeForce 3 GTS card and a Soundblaster Audio card

Would this help out with the building of a HTPC? I really don't want this PC to cost me a lot of money as the wife factor will not allow it. She said I already have way to much money into my room and I have to agree with her. Pic quality is going to be very important to me so would this be a start?

Rick

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I've got to jump in here as to what Casey did with the JVC DVD through a transcoder and then into the XG110LC.

I sold him his projector and did an initial setup for him when I was up in Chicago. My thoughts were the same as ya'lls, this isn't going to look that good.

Man was I wrong. Yup I turned up the color saturation a bit on his DVD player to help with scan lines and color detail but I was really amazed at the quality of picture he is getting out of his system. I wouldn't hesitate to do this again.

Sure a HTPC looks better, and a good scaler might as well. But for someone on a budget, this is the cats meow.

Casey, have you done anything else to it since I was there??

Terry

Terry

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
If you're on a budget you probably don't have a 110 :)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Rick

-To get a good DVD image an Athlon 1.1 will be enough, but barely. To just scale DVD's it should suffice. My HTPC is a Celeron 1ghz and it works okay, but I don't run a lot fo fancy algorithms to process the picture.

If you can, pair the Athlon with a Radeon card, such as a 7200 or higher. For more current info see the HTPC forum.

But I tell you - the HTPC will be worth your effort and you won't regret it.

You have such a high-end projector capable of such high resolution that it is crying out for a better signal than 480p. =)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not to sure what I want to do now. If I stay on the budget then just a new progressive DVD player is the way to go and then I would sell my Iscan PRo line doubler. If I want to open up the wallet then a PC would be the way to go. I am going to have to think about this as it looks like a HTPC is going to cost me around $1200.00 and I know the wife factor is not going to like the idea of a computer. Am I correct by saying $1200 is about right?

Rick

·
Registered
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuchuf
I've got to jump in here as to what Casey did with the JVC DVD through a transcoder and then into the XG110LC.

I sold him his projector and did an initial setup for him when I was up in Chicago. My thoughts were the same as ya'lls, this isn't going to look that good.

Man was I wrong. Yup I turned up the color saturation a bit on his DVD player to help with scan lines and color detail but I was really amazed at the quality of picture he is getting out of his system. I wouldn't hesitate to do this again.

Sure a HTPC looks better, and a good scaler might as well. But for someone on a budget, this is the cats meow.

Casey, have you done anything else to it since I was there??

Terry

Terry
Hey Terry,

At this point, I haven't really changed anything. I've gone back and touched up the convergence on each memory, but that's it.

I really like the ease of use with my setup. Just pop a dvd into the player and off you go. I definitely want to get some higher resolutions fed to the projector, and for me I will probably be going with a CS-1. That will keep my ease of use, and give me the higher resolutions.

I've been reading alot in the HTPC forum, and while I certainly agree that the HTPC will give me the best PQ, and allow me to record HD with a MyHD card, I'm not sure I want to deal with the maintenance of the HTPC. I keep trying to convince myself to go with the HTPC, but it hasn't happened yet.

Rick,

Good luck with your decision. For me, it's been a dificult one, and I still haven't decided. Every day I change my mind about 10 times.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Terry

I changed my green in the 135 and it was far easier than I had expected. Now I know I need a blue as well. I was hoping the blue wear would not be too bad but I was wrong. Do you know where I can get a blue? I would be happy with a light wear blue as long as the wear area is uniform and large. it is not the discoloration that annoys me but the difference between the wear and non wear is intollorable. My current blue has light wear on a SMALL (piss me off) area. I also am going to need a new fan to replace the fan near the high voltage block as it is starting to make bearing noise. Any ideas where I may find these 2 items?

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
502 Posts
Rick, a good audio shop should lend you a progressive dvd (or a deposit usually works) to try with your projector. If you like what you see I would not go any further.

I admit that I do have an HTPC, but it can be a lot of fiddling. Just for fun I've been watching 480i from an older DVD and although the pic quality is crappy compared to HTPC, the ease of use is really quite nice. Setup and convergence is easier too! I would never keep this on my xg but I'd love to see 480p squeezed onto 16X9 screen (this brings the scan lines closer together_

Also maybe someone in your area with an HTPC would come over to your place and let you try it out to see if you like it.

Just a thought.

Alun

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can a person run a progressive DVD player through a Iscan Pro line doubler? I really like the idea of a HTPC but have no idea on what I would need to build. Can anyone help out here and with cost? I have a friend whom builds computers so this would not be that big of a job for him.

Rick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.