AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any thoughts on what would be a good DVD player to use with the Dwin? At CES, Dwin recommended not using a progressive scan player, and allowing the Transvision's processor to do the processing (or whatever you call it.) So does that mean a cheapo $200 interlaced player would be fine, or would a better player that also does progressive scan be a better choice, even if you use the interlaced mode? Would the Panasonic H1000 be a good match, which I understand you can now get for around $900? Or is the good reviews on that player based solely on how it does progressive scan? I'm totally confused, and am wondering what those of you who have tested the Dwin have seen it used with, and those of you who have one on order are planning on doing. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I saw excellent results using the Camelot Roundtable into the DWIN Transvision.

I am looking at trying this player further, when my Transvision arrives.

Also take a look at Stacy Spears excellent DVD reviews on the Secrets site.

It go's to show you that not all things are created equal especially with DVD players. It also shows you that paying top $$$ will not always get you the best unit either. Hero's are "shot down" and villans are "flamed" with brutal honesty.

Great reviews from the Secrets team.

P.S. Read the H-1000 review before you buy.

DavidW

[This message has been edited by David Wallis (edited 04-17-2001).]

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David, I'd love to get the Camelot, but it's out of my price range for a DVD player. Also, the reviews of the other players on Secrets were all fairly negative, although it appears they were applying very high standards to what they were looking at. And the other problem is that, in reading the reviews of the players, it is not clear what player problems or deficiencies would not be an issue with the Dwin because of the external processor, and whether certain benefits that some players provide would be useful with the Dwin for the same reason. Hence, my confusion.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Any comments on using the RV80 Panasonic DVD player. I know on previous threads this unit was often recommended for the Infocus DLP'S, based on those machines excellent built in scalers. It would seem a similiar scenario exists with the DWIN Transcanner.

Thanx

Michael

------------------

tuckerdog

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Michael, thanks for the suggestion. After reading various reviews on this site and several others, it seems that the Panasonic RV-80 has a reputation as one of the best interlaced players available. Apparently, it has been discontinued, however, and there are only a few places left to get one. I'm about to pull the trigger on one for around $350 shipped. Does anyone think this is a mistake, given that I would be using it with the Dwin? I know Panasonic will have new players coming out shortly, but I understand that none are designed to replace this model.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the RV-80 seems to be all gone. I called today 7 or 8 internet sites that had it advertised, but none have any in stock anymore. Any one have any other ideas re a good interlaced player to match with the Dwin?

·
Registered
195 Posts
pioneer elite dv-09

------------------

peteg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.