Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

What type of DVD writer should I buy and what else is it good for other than storing data?

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I personally am looking for one that has DVD+RW so I can do some STB pvr and then doing some authoring of it on the pc with some software that can do DVD+VR .

peace

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What format or type drive can you copy video on and play in the most DVD players? Like video from a Mini DV camera through a Ulead video software program and burned onto a DVD. Is DVD-RW the best one to go with then.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I know the new Sony unit can record on both DVD-RW and DVD+RW disks. That way you don't have to "worry" about which type of disk you use. Also, if your player will only read a certain kind of disk, you have the choice.

There are both internal and external versions as well.

Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about this drive, what do you think of it. Plextor makes a good CD/RW, I'm not sure about the DVD+RW's.

Plextor PX-504A/SW DVD+R/RW

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
91 Posts
The Sony dru-500ax will do everything

there is also a external version the dru-500ul

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Ditto: the sony DRU500AX. Most players our there use the DVD-R standard and not the + . But just in case you may want to get the sony as it does both. Also, if you are into making back up copies of your DVD, you may want to make sure whatever software you plan to use supports your DVD burner.

"Is DVD-RW the best one to go with then?"

No, RWs are rarely supported by DVD players. DVD-Rs are supported by most newer players. Since the price has now fallen to about $2 (if you buy in bulk) per DVD-R, I expect, like the CD-RW, we won't be using them very much in the future. Far diferent when they used to be $5-10 per DVD-R.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Does anyone actually have one of the Sony external writers that can comment on the noise output?

I am thinking about getting one to connect externally through my wall to my server room via firewire or USB 2.0.

But I am concerned about noise. I currently have a generic firewire slimline dvd player that sounds like a plane during liftoff when it plays DVD movies. Not good for the quiet scenes I tell you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So what is the cheapest price anyone has seen for the Sony drive, and where. Sounds like that is the one to get.

Also when you make backup copies of DVD's, (I have kids, which means sticky fingers and scratches) is the copy the same quality, as far as sound and video is concerned, as the original. My main reason for getting this is to transfer video from my Mini DV camera to DVDs for easier access via DVD players.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I went with the Toshiba SD-R5002 DVD-R and have not been disappointed. Disks play fine on our several DVD players. -R media is relativly cheap and the drive was ~ half the cost of the dual media Sony.

At the lower cost point, I really did not expect a good experience and there seems to be little information on the Toshiba out there. I was plesently surprised. Does a great job on CD-R/RW as well.

James

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I'd buy the Pioneer A05, as it supports everything I need. Region free, fast ripping, faster burns, both CD-R & DVD-R. And compared to the Sony drive it's much cheaper.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Esben
I'd buy the Pioneer A05, as it supports everything I need. Region free, fast ripping, faster burns, both CD-R & DVD-R. And compared to the Sony drive it's much cheaper.
Yup. The 105/A05 (same drive, different packaging) is cheap, good, and gets a lot of attention from the firmware hackers.

DVD-R/RW discs are significantly cheaper than +R/RW discs. The only advantage +RW has is packet writing capability, but packet writing is generally considered to be an excellent way to lose your data. I'd rather not even have the temptation.

It's also a VERY quiet drive. I got the CenDyne rebadged one for $150 (OfficeMax had an incredible sale on them a month and a half or so ago.)

I've had no problems with -R or -RW playback of burned DVD-video discs in any DVD player I've used so far. (Well, I had some problems with Optodisc RWs in my laptop's LG DRN-8080B, but that's because the discs were junk. I bought some Sony RWs and they're flawless, and Ritek G04 4x -Rs are great too.) They even play in my el cheapo Rowa DVD-3610.

Feed it Riteks and the DVR-105 will be a very happy drive.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I just bought a Pioneer DVR-105B(black). I bought it as a Cendyne, you can also get it as a Pine 4X - they are all Pioneer.

I installed the hack firmware which uncaps the rip speed and allows you to burn the cheaper media at 2X and 4X. I am currently burning my Optodisc gold at 2X and as soon as I use those up I will be using the Ritek 4X.

I have owned it about a week and have been very happy with it.

Clay

·
Registered
213 Posts
I got the Sony DRU500a because it could do both DVD + and - so whatever media is cheapest at the time is what I buy :) It's been working great the 4 months I've had it. I had originally planned on sticking to DVD-R, but now I can get 50 +R's for $99 at the local BB so I'm using those.

-

Chris

·
Registered
237 Posts
The pioneer drive is a good alternative I guess. I currently have a 104 internal that has done well.

So if I get the new Pioneer like you guys have, what is a good external enclosure that has both firewire and USB 2.0?

Anyone packaged this drive in an external enclosure or bought one in an external enclosure?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm with James, the Toshiba 5002 has done quite well as a burner, and they can be found relatively cheap as OEM'd. They may not be the fastest, but they certainly do the job (and leave you with $$ to go buy recordable DVDs).

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I realize that I posted above about the Sony drives, but I would like to use DVD X Copy and use the backups in our van. Which drive or format would be the best choice?

Mike

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tonic

"Is DVD-RW the best one to go with then?"

No, RWs are rarely supported by DVD players.
Rarely? By the numbers at dvdrhelp.com, it's about 88% for DVD-R and 69% for DVD-RW. That's certainly less, but not rare.

Do you disagree with those numbers?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.