AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be ceiling mounting my Z2, and since I don't enjoy running cable through an insulated ceiling, I want to run my S video, component, composite, and DVI cables all right away. The problem is I do not have a source for DVI at this time. What kind of connectors do I need to plan for when (not if) I go with a dvi dvd player or hdtv?

It will be about a 20-25 foot run from my video source to projector.

On a side note, can anyone recommend a supplier for decent cables that do not cost a fortune. I was looking at cables to go, but am not knowlegable enough to know if they are good cables by their specs.

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
the best answer is that you need an HDMI cable since that will replace DVI probably before it takes a good hold. HDMI also carries audio. The new Panny DVD player from CES has HDMI out. I think you'll see a brief wave of DVI last year and this year that will quickly be replaced by HDMI, and already is. The Panny player is only going to be $350 I think. And they're making an inexpensive receiver with HDMI already too. But HDMI cables that long aren't available yet, they're coming soon though. And the connectors on each end are much closer to USB size than the big old DVI cable connector. See the other thread on the board, DVI Big Cable Small Hole.

If you have to run your cables now, I'd consider using some type of PVC conduit if you can to facilitate future changes. Or at least run a pull-through along with your other cables so you could just pull the HDMI cable through when you were ready.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Put in 2" conduit at least and run the cable later. It doesn't pay to install a $100 for something you "may" use. Once DVI goes beyond 5m, you need to really start beig picky about quality.

-tReP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.