AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will today's crop of AV receivers be obsolete because they don't have DVI connections?

Also, what bandwidth is recommended to avoid component input degradation (e.g, 40, 50, 60 MHz) for HD sources.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Why would DVI 'obsolete' a receiver/pre-pro? Only if you actually use the video switching would it matter. I, and everyone I know, does not use their receiver to do video switching. I let the TV do it.

If you do use the receiver for video switching, then yes, technically, it could be obsolete in what..5-8 years? component/s-vid/and even coax are not going away anytime soon (yes I know about 5C/etc..it isn't going to happen overnight).

You can always wait for DVI receivers, but as soon as you buy one, some new connector is going to come out making DVI obsolete. The cycle never ends. You have to give in and jump on board sometime. You just need to decide when that time is. For me personally, I would rather enjoy my equipment now than worry about what will happen years from now.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kendrid
If you do use the receiver for video switching, then yes, technically, it could be obsolete in what..5-8 years? component/s-vid/and even coax are not going away anytime soon (yes I know about 5C/etc..it isn't going to happen overnight).
You've made some good points, but if you don't use your AV receiver for video switching, why not just use an audio receiver?

I plan on getting my first HT system this fall and replacing my aging 32" Sony TV. Unfortunately, an old receiver I'm using to power external speakers has died, so I am considering replacing it with an AV receiver now. The TV only has (don't laugh) one S-Video input, so I would like to route the S-Video outputs from my Tivo, DirecTV, DVD player and 2 S-VHS VCR's through the single S-Video input on the TV. I assume this is what you are referring to by "video switching"? I would also like to able to simultaneously watch and record S-Video sources. Do all AV receivers have this "pass through" capability?

You can probably tell from the equipment I have that I don't have to be the first guy on the block with DVI inputs. I just want a solid AV receiver that will not be obsolete in a year or two. I don't want to spend more that $800, and could be happy with something for much less if it did the job. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I personally have never seen/heard of a 'audio only' receiver. If you know of any please point me in the right direction.

As was previously stated, no matter what you buy there will be something new next month. Best bet would be to get a reciever that has:

S-video

Digital Coax

Toslink

Dolby Digital

DTS

With all that you will be great for years to come.

And for $800 (us right?) you have allot of options.

Denon

Onkyo

Marantz

Yamaha

Try any of those any you will be happy.

:)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
probepro - if by "audio receiver" you mean 2 channel, then I couldn't get DTS/DD. Plus, even 2 channel receivers have video switching now. It makes it easier for the joe-schmo consumer, but for those of us with semi-complex systems it is just an added cost for something we don't need.

·
Registered
148 Posts
HDTV component connections for Time Warner cable will not pass through a receiver at all...you must connect directly from the cable to the TV for some reason. On a related note, when I first upgraded to a new receiver (with 2 component INs, 4 S-Video ins etc... it's a nice, bargain priced Panasonic SAHE100K)...I tried hooking up my sources via the receiver and using it to do the switching. However, I found that it was just easier to connect all video to the TV, and merely run audio through the receiver (so I could get the Dolby, DTS and other sonic effects). :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.