AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are three potentially big short-term factors regarding TV pricing (CES, SuperBowl, and DTV transition). What effects will these have on pricing, do you think?

And, are the current fairly low prices just a simple suppy-and-demand snafu, with LCD and plasma makers having overshot demand (i.e. the were caught flat-footed by the global recession), and once they've gotten production more in line with weakened demand (in a few weeks, via production cuts), prices will go back up again?

It'd be good to know where prices are headed, both short-term and long-term. For obvious reasons.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15492331

There are three potentially big short-term factors regarding TV pricing (CES, SuperBowl, and DTV transition). What effects will these have on pricing, do you think?

And, are the current fairly low prices just a simple suppy-and-demand snafu, with LCD and plasma makers having overshot demand (i.e. the were caught flat-footed by the global recession), and once they've gotten production more in line with weakened demand (in a few weeks, via production cuts), prices will go back up again?

It'd be good to know where prices are headed, both short-term and long-term. For obvious reasons.

I thought we'd see some massive discounts after Christmas but that hasn't seemed to happen yet. I'm sure there will be a push to get people into HD sets during this period but I'm not sure what impact that will have on pricing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
if the A950 dropped in price maybe id get one dunno if i can wait till summer for the 09 models

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, don't know if it means anything, but on Amazon, the Sammy LN46A650 has dropped almost 80 bucks in just the last day or so.

Maybe CES is having an effect? Dunno.

Edit- Nevermind. It's back up to almost what it was b4. Wacky.

·
Registered
876 Posts
the ln46a650 is on sale at American TV for 1200!

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Everything you mentioned should cause flat screen prices to drop.

I am waiting for the pre SB blow outs to buy a mid size LCD.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
LCD prices will drop to whatever extent they do just because of the glut of LCD glass on the market; as factories are idled and that extra inventory is soaked up, those pressures should alleviate. But I don't think they can alleviate entirely...

As for CES and the present sets in the market, the manufacturers will wait as long as they can for present inventory to be bought up before introducing the new stuff into retail. Once they do, any leftover inventory will probably be attractively marked down. Last year I remember this being around June I think.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ln46a650 is 1599 at sears

amazon has free shipping so online match is $1430 + sears 10% match.

1430 - 17

=1412 - 10% total price when you open a sears card till 1/10/09

=1412 - 142 = $1270

+ you get the $200 nfl gift card with samsung > $1000.

(dont really want the gift card but maybe sell on ebay for $100?)

$1170 for ln46a650?

Think we will get a better deal before the superbowl???

·
Registered
29 Posts
As far as retailers go, we will be having larger sales. But more or less, what we have been seeing a lot of is no interest with the specific credit card, **% off with a specific card, some large discounts on nice TVs (we had the 40" Z series for 1299 with a free Blu Ray player BDP-350) A good deal as you can see. There are others but, none as good as that.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blajoie /forum/post/15504036

ln46a650 is 1599 at sears

amazon has free shipping so online match is $1430 + sears 10% match.

1430 - 17

=1412 - 10% total price when you open a sears card till 1/10/09

=1412 - 142 = $1270

+ you get the $200 nfl gift card with samsung > $1000.

(dont really want the gift card but maybe sell on ebay for $100?)

$1170 for ln46a650?

Think we will get a better deal before the superbowl???

Huh? So, you are saying the Sears is going to match the Amazon price - $17?? Also, don't forget about tax.

PM me if you actually get this deal. I am interested, because I just bought mine from another retailer for a good price but not this low. If you get this, I will go make the same deal, and take my current one back.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^ My condolences. Sucks when you game something out, and it doesn't come together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts