AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered what PJ goes in the Electrohome Retro IV 72" rear-projection enclosure.

My gut tells me that it is like the Barco units with different lenses and chassis from the FP PJs. I do have an extra 8500 that could be used for this, but my guess is that it would be too much work.

Am I correct? What would it take?

TIA

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
The only retro E'home that I've seen used a 4500 set (ECP). Looked nice, but giv me a Barco Retro 808s any day..:)

Curt

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow...this sucker is heavy at 470lbs. (might be with the PJ?)

Looks like it takes most of the Ehome models???

I still wonder if you have to install different lenses?

Electrohome Retro info

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I've got a 67" Retro cabinet(I'll give it away if you come get it !!) and the bracket inside fits either ECP or Marquee. They are so bright that the Marquee would only be installed if they needed the higher scan frequencies. Mine came with an ECP in it and it had standard lenses. I'm fairly sure you don't need any different lenses, the guy I got mine off of said he had more(already sold when I arrived) and all of his other ones had Marquee's in them. The image with the ECP was SUPER bright, I can't imagine how bright it would be with a Marquee. They come apart in the middle, and the bottom breaks down to a tray with wheels and the stand, which you can take off too, and the sides of the bottom all come off too. It is VERY heavy, but by taking it down, I just removed mine from my basement without any help.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last time I drove to your house I got stuck in some serious lake effect snow and my wife almost killed me (I think b/c a trip that should have taken us 3 hrs. ended up being a two day affair.) I was hoping that a local unit would work out for me, but I tell ya, I do not know if I can fit this one in the HT/sun room and have the wife approve.

I can't believe that you moved it out of your basement alone. Must have be a bit*h. I'm sure the hand truck came in handy and you must have been eatin your spinach too.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
When you take the screen off, you can take the mirror out the front, then you can lift the top off the bottom, then dis-assemble the bottom, and move the pieces. The only hard part is moving the mirror in its metal frame, its REALLY awkward. The top gets dragged around on a corner, and all the pieces of the bottom are only about 3' square. Very little muscle is needed, just alot of time to get all the pieces moved around. One thing about the retro's, when you pull the back out to get the mirror lined up, they are pretty deep, if you could mount the screen in a wall with the pj and mirror in a room behind the screen wall, that would look pretty cool. That was what I intended to do *someday* but I fear I will never get around to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.