AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I visit here and would appreciate your suggestion for me to turn my PC into a HTPC. I just hooked up and PC vga output to the projector and the result of my monitor displayed on the big screen is not that thrilling. I think I did something not right. Here is my setup:

DELL 8250 Intel P4 2.4 with 256 MB

CDRW no dvd drive

NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 64mb AGP video card

Sanyo plv-z1 16X9 projector

I am looking for nothign fancy, just decent picture quality. I heard lots of talk about powerstrip, can I use that and display full computer screen on a 16X9 HDTV screen using the Z1? I also think I need to get a Raedon 7500 for Cable recording. So here are my questions:

1) Which dvd drive ? I need one that's region free

2) Which video card? 7500 all-in-one enoguh?

3) What else do I need for a HTPC? which kind of sound card for DVD playback?

I currently own a malata 520, does HTPC can generate a better picture than my 520?

Thanks

Martin

·
Registered
315 Posts
Martin,

You'll probably want to get a capture card. The best right now is the Holo3D card but is a bit pricey. I have an Radion All In Wonder 7500 and am pretty happy with it. However, it doesn't support dscaler. I've been thinking about adding another capture card without a tv tuner to scale the image from my digital cable box. I would check out dscaler.com before making any purchase.

Powerstrip is a must. It will allow you to do custom resolutions to get the most out of your 16x9 display. Be warned though, it will take much time and tweaking to get it just right. Check out this page ( http://forum.firmware-flash.com/portal.php ) for region free dvd info. It seems that most mainstream dvd players can be patched to play region free discs.

Wireless keyboard, here's one for a good one for $25 http://www.softwareandstuff.com/h_acc_airboard.html

Software. I personally like ShowShifter as a nice all in one package. There are other products out there that do some things better, but I like the convience of ShowShifter.

Good luck,

Jason

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Can you use Powerstrip, if your video card can handle it. Most of the Radeons are supported. You may not need it though as your projector may take standard video resolutions.

1) Very hard to find a region free DVD anymore. There are software hacks that can help.

2) AIW cards are not known for the best Picture Quality. They are not supported by DScaler either. DScaler is a program that deinterlaces the input and cleans it up with filters. It makes poor quality video input (vhs tapes or cable TV) and makes it watchable.

3) Depends on what else you have. Most popular way it to use the SP/DIF digital coax or optical output of a sound card or motherboard and feed it into a receiver that has DD decoders. I have had good luck with Audigy, others are using MAudio cards.

No idea on the malata...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.