AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine just bought a Marquee 8500. It should be there tomorrow.... he wants to set up a home theatre system. He wants to be able to play dvds, vhs tapes, and get on the internet. So I know he needs a HTPC. I'm working on the specs (i've never built one before) and would appreciate input... I'm looking at a shuttle setup with a Nforce 2 board... will the integrated video/audio suffice, or do i need an all-in-wonder video card (or other type) and sound card. Also, what other equipment does he need.

Thanks for any info... i'm a pc builder by trade, and have no experience with AV stuff.....

RobertP

·
Registered
358 Posts
HTPC are not complicated machines at all. All you really need is something right around 700 mhz with an ATI Radeon based card. You could get the Radeon 9000 all-in-wonder and not waste a pci slot on a tv tuner card. A soundcard that does spdif passthrough. Any if you really want to see the 8500 shine dunk 300 on a OTA HDTV pci card like the myhd card. It will make you jaw drop. Specially if you get everything set up by this weekend in time to catch the NBA games in Hi Def

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok... thanks for the info... i'll ask in the htpc forum for pc config.... I've got a HiDTV Pro in my home pc and yes, a HD card in his htpc would be nice....

Is there any other hardware that he'll need besides the HTPC? I guess one concern is the types of connections on the marquee 8500.... how do we hook it up to the htpc and also get a vhs player or home stereo system into the mix?

Thanks again for the info.

RobertP

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
My HTPC is hooked to my Marquee 8500 with a breakout cable. 15 pin mini d-sub plugged into the video card at one end that "breaks out" to 5 pin BNC connectors for RGBVH (input 01 on the Marquee) on the other end. Not sure how you would hook up the VCR, or the better question might be why would you want to hook-up a VCR to a $20,000, projector? Probably S-video out of the VCR assuming your 8500 has S-in as this was an optional input.

As far as audio I bought a revolution sound card (came bundled with Theater Tech. software that runs the DVD ROM player) This sound card has coaxial digital out and plugs directly into my Denon reciever for 7.1 channels of surround sound. I'm only running 5.1 but the soundstage is amazing.

As far as CPU power and RAMM, I would not skimp here. A good CPU and DDR RAMM is cheap and video takes a lot of power. My AMD athalon 1.7/ 256 megs RAMM runs at about 40% system resources. The picture is amazing and I can fast forward 30X, pause, skip, whatever with no stutter or lock-up. PM me if your interested in a parts list.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

There is a decoder board optional for Marquees, two S and two composite inputs, 480i out only so it won't look real pretty but it can be done; I have some of those decoder boards here from $200 used. E.mail me if interested.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Quote:
So I know he needs a HTPC.
He could also use an external scaler. This may be easier for the less computer savvy...

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
More info:

I'm also building a HTPC to drive an E-home 8500. For the computer I did the following:

- Ahannix D-Vine HTPC case

- Asus P4PE MB (integrated Ethernet and sound)

- 2Ghz Celeron processor

- 512MB Kingston DDR

- wireless keyboard and mouse

- 30Gig Seagate Barracuda HDD

- Toshiba 1712 DVD-R

- Radeon 9700 pro (the 9000 or 9500 are good options if you don't want to use it for gaming). You can also get Mike's MP1 Radeon mod that will improve the picture of these cards.

- Zalman cooler

- Equitech PS with variable speed fans

- Win XP Pro

- Haven't decided on DVD SW yet...

The entire system cost

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
- 2Ghz Celeron processor? 512MB DDR RAMM? Radeon 9700? MAN!, and I thought my computer was overkill:p . Oh well, I guess you're well covered just in case you want to use your HTPC to launch satellites into orbit:) Isn't it wonderful and amazing what $1000. will buy these days?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool..... thanks for all the info guys...... i'll pass it along.... someone told him he needs a "line doubler".... is this true? if so can anyone recommend one?

thanks,

RobertP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.