AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am setting up a new system. Budget is somewhat limited, but could certainly piece together equipment as the weeks go by. What equipment would I need to setup a system that would play movies (HD or Blue Ray, not even sure where to get HD or Blue Ray Movies??) I also would like to watch my Comcast Cable (Fairly Easy) and I really need the simplest way to stream iHeart Radio or Pandora through the 5.1 surround sound system. So basically I have cable, and I would like to watch movies and hear internet radio through my system. What would be the best way to do that, starting from scratch. The only equipment I currently have is an older set of Kenwood 5.1 speakers ( I have to use those to start out with, can certainly upgrade later). I have wireless internet in my house via Comcast, is there anything I can do with that? How? I don't need the biggest, best system out there, but I would like to buy something of decent mid range quality that will last and I will be happy with. Thanks for the help, as I am fairly new to all the new technology, but I learn quick.....

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
First get a receiver. It will take care of sources switching and audio processing. Next you need Blu Ray player. Select one that can do Internet radio too. Google will help you with initial search and then you can download manuals from manufacturer's sites and see all details. Few players can work with wireless network, but most need physical network connection. If you can't get Cat 5 cable to you room, you have two options: either use wireless client bridge, or a pair of MoCa adapters to deliver network connection via existing TV cable. Wireless bridge is cheaper solution, but is not the best if you decide to watch movies over Internet (like Amazon on demand or Hulu or Netflix.).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I've still been reading and searching, and I am thinking I may have a solution. If I get an AVR receiver, wanted a Denon 1613, but size wise is big for my cabinet, built in cabinet is 15 inches from wall to glass door, Denon 1613 is 15" exactly, no room for wires. But point being, if I find a reciever that works sizewise, I could buy a PS3 and that seems like it covers all my bases. From what I understand, the PS3 would play Blue Ray movies, HD movies, upconvert, I could connect it to my wireless internet in the house, stream pandora, iHeart Radio, Netflix, AND, I could buy a wireless bluetooth keyboard and get to the internet on my TV via the PS3. Does that sound right? PS3, connected to Denon 1613 or equivalent receiver, connected to my Sony Bravia TV, and sound through the 5.1 speakers..... I would be able to do everything I was wanting to do..... Seems like a neat little setup if it works. Any advice on pro's and con's?

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I suggest that you get the Onkyo TX-NR-414 receiver, which Amazon has for only $279.

It is 17" wide and under 13 " deep, which should fit much better.

It also has network radio streaming capability and other connectivity which should meet your requirements.

A basic Blu-ray player should be inexpensive and play all discs, video and music. There should be no need for the PS3.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1420831/what-equipment-do-i-need-to-do-the-following#post_22234409

I suggest that you get the Onkyo TX-NR-414 receiver, which Amazon has for only $279.

It is 17" wide and under 13 " deep, which should fit much better.

It also has network radio streaming capability and other connectivity which should meet your requirements.

A basic Blu-ray player should be inexpensive and play all discs, video and music. There should be no need for the PS3.

I agree that the PS/3 might be overkill for this application.

I did a little searching and found that network-enabled Blu Ray players from Samsung, Sony and LG support many if not all of the services that the OP mentioned.

For example, there is more info on Pandora Blu-Ray player support is on the Pandora site. I found some of these players on the web for well under $100.

I have an inexpensive network-enabled Blu Ray player for some time and it meets my needs for network access, and sounds good as a music player. Its most serious functional downside is the need for a TV or computer display to act as the display part of its user interface.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I've been doing more research, and after reading all the reviews, and talking to some people. I think the Sony S390 BD Player is gonna do everything I need it to do in one package. Play DVD's, watch Netflix, and stream internet radio. I think I'll pair this player with a quality non-network receiver, and roll with it for a while. So now on to receivers.....

Looking at Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, and open to any other suggestions. I will eventually outfit the system with a set of Martin Logan MLT-2's or Klipsch Jamos setup...... So I would like to get a receiver that will be suitable for those speakers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, after further, more in depth review. I think I may have to go with that Onkyo NR414 for space reasons. In your opinion, what are the pros and cons between the Onkyo NR414 and the Denon 1612/13? I was hoping not to have to pay the extra for the Network Receiver because I am going to purchase the Sony S390 BDP which has wireless internet networking capability already. But my biggest issue is going to be space. When the dimensions of the receivers are listed, is it an all in measurement, like front of the buttons, to the connections in the rear? and how accurate are the adverstised dimensions? I would really like the Denon 1612 for the Audessey capability, how is the Onkyo going to compare?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts