AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in NYC and just got a front projection setup. I would like to watch HDTV now but can't mount a dish or any antenna outside. What equipment will I need? Is a hidden antenna like the Terk 55 or Channel Master Stealth all I need? Do I need a seperate HDTV tuner? I tried to do a search but all of the threads are too advanced for a beginner. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Jaron,

What kind of a FPTV did you get? If it is HDTV compatible and because you live in NYC you will definitely need a STB that has HDTV via OTA. You may need nothing more than a simple UHF "bowtie" antenna that normally sits ontop of a TV.

Try going to your local Radio Shack and talk with them about what other HDTV watchers are buying. They also have a super return policy and they might "lend" you a few different types to see which works best.

As far as the STB, you could buy a used Panasonic that is OTA only. Most of today's HD STB's are designed to work with DirecTV and OTA and since you cannot place a dish, that is out.

You should also contact Time Warner Cable as I believe they are offering HD via Digital Cable in NYC. You might be able to get HBO-HD and other channels vis Dig. Cable.

Lee

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. my FP is XGA and I am processing through a Quadscan. It doesn't have any DVI input. time warner carries zero HD as far as I know. Any recs on what OTA only tuner boxes I should look at?

[This message has been edited by jaron (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Jaron,

The only OTA only HDTV STB that I know of today is the Samsung unit and it runs $699. Like I said almost all of the STB's have DirecTV capabilities in them, thoug you can buy one and not use the DirecTV portion.

I saw that someone bouoght a Panasonic for $299. I think you can also look at a company that went out of business called Unity Motion which i believe also had an OTA tuner in it. These sell for about $300.

You also have to keep in mind how you are going to attach the STB to your PJ. The Panasonic only offers Component output. The UM and Samsung offer both Component and VGA/RGB. Most of the newer STB's also offer both.

Are you sure TWC doesn't offer HDTV? I thought sure that they were offering three channels of which HBO and CBS were two of them.

Try a search for "TWC" and see what you come up with.

Lee

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they were rolling out HDTV on Digital Cable in NY but they stopped due to a problem with the Audio in the boxes. I don't think anyone can just sign up for it yet anyway?

[This message has been edited by jaron (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Registered
517 Posts
Buy the double bowtie antenna from Radio shack. It is $17 but make sure you ask for it specifically. Maybe get the part number from the RS website first. When I went to buy one in NY the salesman had no idea what i was talking about.

It works for all the channels but due to multipath i have to reposition is for diff channels.

NY has a ton of HDTV content relative to other parts of the country.

------------------

Eram

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.