AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read today in Soundandvision that Deep Color has not yet been implemented in any HD movies so far. From what I read they have to use a camera that films in this high color spectrum. Further xvYCC is not supported by DVD-Video or Blu-ray, but is supported by the high-definition recording format AVCHD and PlayStation 3. So, my question is why do so many TVs come with this if we can't even use it? Is it just marketing bull?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Some BD players up-convert to Deep Color. It doesn't cost a lot to implement at the TV. And currently, considering the lack of content, it is marketing BS.

There is also the chicken and the egg problem. Which comes first? Why would anyone produce content for a market that does not exist?

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Aren't the only sources that support these things domestic camcorders using AVCHD? I've seen x.v.YCC mentioned in some specs - though to be honest I suspect this is not a major selling point.

AFAIK no mainstream broadcast gear supports x.v.YCC - though some kit does support 10/12 bit depths (which is I believe what "Deep Color" refers to?)

Until a mainstream source of high-quality content appears in these formats - they're probably not hugely of concern.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
My '09 Panny plasma (TH-65VX100U) has some of this marketing BS built in, along with some other displays. VX100s have the DCI (Digital Cinema Initiative) extended color format. Pro reviews sometimes 'failed' this color aspect while overall giving the display kudos. Red and greens do appear too strong, but only if I forget to switch out of Cinema mode while viewing non-24p 1080i/480i programming. Otherwise, great color in either Standard or Cinema modes. -- John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts