AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happen to all the players and Divixs dics. Do any of you people out there have a lot of this stuff. Just wondering.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
When it died I heard that all discs were automatically unlocked so you could play them like they were regular DVDs. I never bothered to look into it since they were all pan & scan and I never had a "Divx enhanced DVD Player" anyway, so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I also amd glad that the DivX format died. Pay per view is for cable! Leave us collectors alone! Imagine if we had to pay $5 a pop to put in a few different discs to calibrate stuff. The thought makes me shudder. Anyway, my sister's boyfriend has one of these and some discs he never watched and is afraid to watch them because he thinks he will be able to watch them once, but not again. Is this the case? Or are they unlocked? If they are in fact locked, I would think that a class action lawsuit against Circuit City is possible for the cost differential of the players and the original cost of the discs. As far as I am concerned, any company that tried this is just greedy and deserves financial collapse. I don't shop at Circuit City either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes they are unlocked........

I was located at CC during the DivX experiment.

Trust me, the sales force hated it more then the customers

·
Registered
469 Posts
Are we still beating that dead horse? I still shiver when I drive past a Circuit City for concocting this travesty. I won't hit my breaks while driving past CC. Why don't we talk about 8 tracks? You can still find this crap at the flea markets for about 10 cents each. Too high! I'm scared wondering what CC will come up with next.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Divx encoding is still being used. My friend who is a Systems Engineer uses divx to record movies on his hard drive. From what he told me it has almost DVD quality. I don't know how this works but the company DIVX is still around, I found their web site through a search on yahooooooo.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael4JBL
Divx encoding is still being used. My friend who is a Systems Engineer uses divx to record movies on his hard drive. From what he told me it has almost DVD quality. I don't know how this works but the company DIVX is still around, I found their web site through a search on yahooooooo.
That is Divx;) which is completely different. They named it that as a joke and it has nothing to do with the former DIVX format.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thanks, I guess I just assumed that they were the same since the name is so uncomman that it would have probably have been the same. Thanks again for the information.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What I had read was that he specifically named it that because of the controversy over DIVX. That's what the winkyface after the name is for. Yes, its official name is DivX;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.