AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember about a year ago there was some murmuring and rumors about special RF light sources being adapted to D-ILA and other digital FPTVs.

It was claimed to be very bright, not too expensive, have a 20,000 hour lifespan, and produce no heat (no fans needed).

Is this real, is anyone producing these now, does anyone know if any projector manufacturers are integrating this technology.

I do understand that a product like this would be like a 200MPG car, taking away the revenue source of selling so many replacement bulbs, but it would certainly change the industry, and whoever built these would own the market in FPTV installations that run their projectors 24/7. :cool:

-Dean.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
These are the super long life sulfur bulbs you are talking about?

There have been some articles on the amount of RF these spit out. Might be why we aren't seeing them in products. They are on the same frequencies a the Bluetooth protocol I think.

BB

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, the guys who knew the details wouldn't talk about the technology openly, just hint at it, and about the possibilities for use in HT FPTVs.

The gist that I was getting was that these "bulbs" produced light without heat, and did not have fragile filaments that failed over time.

-Dean.

·
Premium Member
24,817 Posts
I believe it was the sulphur bulbs. Yes, efficient and lon-lived, but IIRC the RF power source required to power them is big and bulky, only suited to big lighting jobs.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I asked this question about a year ago. I figured someone must know something more by now. The company (forgot the name now -dang!) that seemed to be the most advanced develpoment (they said they lit the Dept. of Energy building) actually removed the limited info they once had on their web site.

They used to show a prototype RPTV set even, and it seemed they already had a RF bulb that was the size od a marble that could light a projector.

Along w/ no heat the Argon gas (in a quartz sphere) output a perfect 6500K color (so they said).

Outward RF emmisions should be able to be controlled -uh... right? And power supplies shouldn't be that big of a problem. There's lots of eff. ideas out now.

Anyone else know anything?

I found a tiny bit of info stateing G.E.'s been working on these bulbs too. They're kind of a LARGE company, so I'm VERY suprised nothing's come of this yet!?

Anyway... I'm starting another thread asking about LED's since the progress there seems very large and fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.