AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading a thread a few months back where Gabe Newell was asking the PS3 community to suggest improvements for his game 'The Orange Box'... So whatever came of his pleas?

Has there been any update?

·
Registered
262 Posts
They requested feedback on January 2nd. I think you'll have to wait a little longer.

·
Registered
12,176 Posts
Valve supports their products better than almost any developer I can think of - I'll give them that. They will put something out since they asked for help.

·
Banned
2,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/12940358

these sorts of things take many man-hours to do. You probably won't see anything until March.

Especially considering the pace at which Valve works. Not saying they're slow but it takes a long time for them to finish anything because it's done when it's perfect. That's why I was so amazed that a team that focuses so much on making every last thing as sublime as they can would hand there baby over to EA to get ported, EA of all freakin companies, the company that is notorious for craptastic PS3 ports.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I will only buy this product when it has been made equal or better to the 360 release. Hope they release that update soon, as i believe that 2nd quarter is going to be a great time for new (impressive) PS3 releases.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
it arguably looks just as good (you could argue it looks better with the quincunx Anti-aliasing vs no AA on the 360 version), so as long as they fix the major bugs and the performance issues (ie: make ANY attempt at optimizing it) i will definitely buy it.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel /forum/post/12941843

i will buy it if they fix the performance issues.

Same here, i do not believe that i should give my money to any developer that makes a halfassed port, especially from a development studio that is led by someone who dislikes the PS3 and as such "allowed" such a crappy port to be released (knowing all the issues).

I say they need to fix the performance issues and fix their attitude, if not, no loss for me i have many other titles that will (by far) out shine this product.

'08 is going to be a really cool year for PS3 (games and firmware feature wise) and i think that the share sales numbers (EU and Other regions) will force developers to think twice about how and what they port as well as possibly using the PS3 as their lead dev platform (especially since the SDK is cheaper ).

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Either way, the box is worth 54.06 with $10 off from BB. The minor issues do suck, but the game is fun either way. I been playing EP2. I do own EP1 and HL2 on PC, however I might as well beat it on the PS3. So that is like 5 games for price of one

·
Banned
2,456 Posts
I've also been avoiding this game until the patch is released. If Valve is smart enough to know there's a problem, that means I'm not touching it until THEY feel it is fixed. Too bad, too, because OB was one of my most anticipated releases of last year.

·
Banned
1,839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantpop /forum/post/12942392

I've also been avoiding this game until the patch is released. If Valve is smart enough to know there's a problem, that means I'm not touching it until THEY feel it is fixed. Too bad, too, because OB was one of my most anticipated releases of last year.

I ended up getting it on PC. Best game for the buck I've ever bought.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungwader /forum/post/12940011

They requested feedback on January 2nd. I think you'll have to wait a little longer.

Wow. That recent?

I don't know why, but it felt awhile ago...like say early December.

Oh well, no sense dragging their feet. Hopefully they release an update by March '08.

·
Banned
2,801 Posts
I think it's funny people aren't buying the Orange Box just because the port had a few framerate issues in the HL2 games that don't really take a whole lot away from the overall experience. If you haven't played Half-Life 2 and it's episodes you need to do so, it's not just another good shooter, it's a truly amazing experience that as far as I'm concerned no other game on the market can offer. O and Portal alone is worth $60, best 2 hours of my life.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elikhom /forum/post/12940158

The game kinda bombed on the PS3 though, so I wouldn't be surprised that the "improvements" never come.

The reason the game bombed is because of the much-publicized framerate issues. Considering how well other multiplat FPSs have done (CoD4), there's no other reason it'd do so poorly on PS3.

If Valve and EA want to make any of their money back on the PS3 port, they'll have to get on this quickly. If Valve (and not EA's UK team) is handling a major patch, that can only be a good thing.

Looked at another way, Valve may be willing to dump money and resources into fixing the PS3 port, even if they don't make it back right away. I'd guess they would want to ensure that Episode 3 sells well on PS3 by making PS3 owners happy now (since the console will have much wider household penetration by then). Valve (unlike EA) lives and dies by the Half Life series.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If they can make run as good as they say it does on the 360, I'd buy it. Can an update really fix core problems?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I bought it this morning... and aside from the long load times I think it's pretty fun.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf Byte /forum/post/12951433

If they can make run as good as they say it does on the 360, I'd buy it. Can an update really fix core problems?

if you're talking about performance issues and bugs, absolutely they can. thats what patches are usually all about, better optimization which leads to better performance, and bug fixes.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts