AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I just need the cables? If so are they only component?

My setup normaly runs into my computer via S-video and out to my Ampro 3300 CRT via vga to 5 bnc connector.

I don't have a tuner card that'll take component in, I could plug right into the projector but the composite signal from the xbox wouldn't work in a rgb input like I have would it?

Any idea's on how I could start running HD w/o spending too much $?

My screen is 4:3 if that matters, can I run most games that way?

·
Registered
324 Posts
You need the XBOX High Def AV pack. It's a box that has the stereo audio L/R, component Y/Pb/Pr, and optical digital output on it. It comes with a 5-lead cable for the video and analog audio, but no TOSlink digital audio cable.

Or there are some third-party cables that'll do it too.

Keep in mind that the Digital audio output is also on the High Def AV adapter and some third-party cables don't have the digital audio output.

Also check that your project takes Y/Pb/Pr component versus RGB component, since the XBOX can't outout RGB component AFAIK.

If your CRT only has RGB input, you'll need to get a Y/Pb/Pr->RGB transcoder.

You can run all XBOX games 4:3, as that's the current aspect ratio of the masses. Some XBOX games support 16:9 and/or better resolutions as well.

·
Registered
324 Posts
So I take it your display only accepts RGB component?

Audio Authority sells one, it's not too expensive, but not exactly cheap either. Though I think Digital Connection had the Y/Pb/Pr to VGA transcoder on sale recently.

Finding a tuner card for your PC that takes component will definitely be expensive.

You could also try checking places like liksang.com and see if there's a direct VGA output for the XBOX too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes bhiga, it only has 3 RGB inputs and 2 syncs.

Dylan, I use the first one right from my xbox, get a vga cable to go from that to the adapter then a short run of rgb cables to my projector right?

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I'm not clear on your description. You need a VGA->BNC breakout cable to go from the X2VGA to your projector. (Same as you have from the computer to your projector.)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, as it is now everything goes into my PC and is run from Dscaler. The PC output is VGA, the projectors inputs are RGB with 2 syncs.

I guess running it through my PC is outta the question because tuner cards with component are real exspensive. So.... my only option it to run my Xbox directly to my ampro 3300 projector, and that's xbox connector to RGB w/ 2 syncs.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
ok now i'm confused

can somebody with more knowledge about it than me tell me what the deal is please. my projector says it takes component and labels them

r/r-y g/y gsync b/b-y . so do i need some kind of transcoder? i can't seem to get it to work. it plays fine if i turn all hi def options off but as soon as i turn them on...poof no image.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Kyle, that is correct. The XBlaster has a VGA passthrough which would simplify your connections.

bosnh, what kind of projector do you have? Does it accept 480p from a progressive DVD player?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
dylan

i have an epson 7350. yes it takes 480p,720p 1080i, and many computer resolutions as well. when i set the xbox to 480p it will accept a dvd signal but when i put in soul caibur it goes away. no signal. nothing.

i also have a scaler (quadscan pro) which outputs 480p(and many other resolutions)and that's ok with the projector as well. just the darn

soul calibur is giving me trouble.

·
Registered
324 Posts
bosng,

It sounds like your projector is trying to be "smart" about things and won't accept 480i in high-def mode and Soul Caliber isn't outputing 480p (sorry, don't know if it's supposed to, I'm not much of a fighting game guy). Running the XBOX out through the scaler should work.

There are different types of component signals. Component in the general sense just means each of the different signals are separated into separate wires.

R/G/B Component consists of Red, Green, Blue, Horizontal Sync* and Vertical Sync*

* H-Sync and V-Sync sometimes are not present, as Sync-On-Green can be used

Y/Pb/Pr, sometimes labelled Y/U/V or Y/Y-B/Y-R consists of a Luminance signal, the Red-difference from the luminance signal, and the Blue-difference from the luminance signal.

There's a mathematical formula to derive Green from the Luminance (Y), Red-difference (Pr/Y-R) and Blue-difference (Pb/Y-B).

Connecting a YPbPr and RGB together without the proper conversion will either show nothing (due to failure to sync) or everything in an Incredible Hulk-like shade of green.

Either way, it doesn't work right.

Some higher-end devices have inputs that can be switched between RGB and YPbPr.

PlayStation2 can also be switched betweeen R/G/B and Y/Pb/Pr outputs in the system setup.

AFAIK, XBOX only has YPbPr output (without a VGA converter).

GameCube has a mod for RGB output.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
bhiga

xbox should put out 480p 720p and 1080i as well as 480i(could i be wrong on this?-anyway the xbox dashboard displays all the resolutions i just listed) you are correct about either i get a green picture or nothing at all.but if i put in a movie i get a great picture!(frustrating). if i shell out the bucks(60?) for a vga out on the xbox will i be good to play games in 720p?

i'm about to give up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
bosng,

Best to check your Epson's manual, but it seems like either it'll take either progessive or interlaced but it won't take interlaced in progressive mode and vice-versa.

So, sounds like you're gonna have to settle for S-Video, or get a VGA box for the XBOX so your display's always getting a signal it likes.

I'd try to find someone nearby with such a box and see if that'll work before you put up the money for it (unless $60 isn't a big deal).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.