Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
taken from: Dolbys website
Quote:
Pro Logic II is a dramatically improved, updated matrix surround system, based on the principles used to develop the original Dolby Pro Logic decoding back in the 1980s. The original Pro Logic features four channels—front left, center, and front right, plus a mono surround channel that's usually split between two rear speakers. The surround channel is also "band-limited," reducing the treble frequencies. Pro Logic II further enhances the sound with a full-range stereo surround output and a greatly improved steering logic, resulting in high channel separation and an exceptionally stable soundfield.
In other words, a heck of allot closer to 5.1 sound.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ProLogicII is the digital successor to the Fosgate's 6-Axis mode, used in Citation products when H/K tried to resurrect it. It was an analog/digital hybrid, but it had startlingly good imaging. It's not as smooth as Lexicon's

Logic7 (especially with the MC-12), but it's very good nonetheless.

Supposedly, ProLogicII is better-sounding than 6-Axis, but I haven't heard

PLII yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zipbags
What is the difference between pro logic & pro logic 2.
zipbags,

In a nutshell (at least to me), current DPLII tries to mimic 5.1 DD/DTS processing. So why bother? Well, while DD/DTS requires digital input, you can use DPLII to process your analog output movie such as cable, dss, vcr, etc into 5.1. If you're looking for a receiver or a pro, you should get or at least listen to it as this is a great feature IMHO.

FF

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
So does DPLII work with stereo? DPL? I would assume it wouldn't be effective with mono.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Works with all stereo material. Whether or not it will sound good (with everything) is another thing. But for the most part it is better. Music with dpl II is leaps-and-bounds better than pro-logic I.

I have it, and I am really impressed. If you still use vhs for movies, or like tv in suround sound...get it. It is worth it.

·
Registered
12,365 Posts
Pro Logic II can do a little more with mono sources than original Pro Logic, which places all the sound into the center channel. While it applies no spatial steering effects, you can use the PLII Music mode to adjust the Center Width control to set the ratio of sound from the L/R vs the C speaker. Either extreme is not ideal for all listeners, so being able to adjust the blend might be useful.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I would definately be curious as to how DPL II sounds with my old Laser Discs like Star Wars Ep IV, V and VI (the second release THX editions) and of course the Indiana Jones Trilogy. :D

Dolby Prologic does not sound bad at all from Laser Discs, but I would bet that Dolby Prologic II sounds a lot better. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bradad,

The answer is YES! DPLII makes a stunning improvement over DPL on the Laserdiscs you mentioned. Any stereo LD [and in particular Dolby Surround LD's] really begin to approach AC-3 type sound.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Now I am really eager to try it out. :) I'll have to make sure that my next "piece" has DPL II on it. :D

·
Registered
30,155 Posts
Bradad,

The 'Star Wars' laserdiscs sound spectacular in PL II; especially 'Return of the Jedi'. The biggest improvements you'll notice with PL II over Pro Logic are: cleaner separation between channels (very little, if any, dialogue leakage into the other channels), natural spread of sound (front channels don't clump around the centre like Pro Logic does) and stereo surrounds (believe me, big BIG improvement over Pro Logic's mono surround). It actually comes surprisingly close to the DD 5.1 soundtrack of the later 'Star Wars Special Edition' laserdisc package.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Sanjay,

Knowing that you own the Lexicon MC-12 and thus have both Logic 7 and DPL II, do you find yourself using DPL II at any time instead of Logic 7?

Michael

·
Registered
30,155 Posts
Michael,

Sure I do. PL II can do wonders with 2 channel material.

However, because of my 7 speaker set-up I tend to prefer Logic 7 over PL II in most cases; nothing like having 4 independent surround channels. But EVERY matrix decoder eventually runs into material that it trips over or it does something that just doesn't sound "right" (to my ears). On the few occasions where I don't like what Logic 7 is doing, I'm really glad to have PL II as an option.

If I'm in the mood to experiment I'll try switching between PL II Music, PL II Film, Music Logic and Logic 7 Film; just curious to hear how they each interpret the same 2 channel material. Sometimes one won't sound better than the other, just different. Besides, I can't settle on what I like without exploring all my options, can I? :) So yes, PL II does get a little use in my system. Though I'll tell you what doesn't get ANY use: DTS Neo-6. What a dog of a decoder! Makes me appreciate PL II all the more.

All of the above is in regard to music. With movies, it's L7 all the way; especially with 5.1 material. I guess if I were running a 5 speaker set-up I'd probably be trying PL II more often.

Hey BTW, any news on the PL II upgrade for your Anthem?

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Sanjay,

The latest rumor is that Anthem has the "hardware" upgrade ready, with the "software" upgrade soon to follow. I am also trying to confirm what several AVM-20 owners have heard from their Anthem dealers, which is the following:

Purchase the AVM-20 hardware upgrade in the first 90 days it is available and it will cost $100. After 90 days, the hardware upgrade becomes $300 and the retail price of the AVM-20 increases by the same $300.

In either case, the software upgrade becomes available free online (which of course requires the upgraded hardware). I have already updated my AVM-20's software via the online method, so this should be a snap.

I look forward to when rumor becomes fact, so that I can test DPL II with 2 channel movie sources. It will be interesting to see how the AVM-20 with DPL II compares to the Lexicon MC-1 with Logic 7, which so far has been the best I have heard (steering-wise) in my system with 2 channel movies.

Michael

·
Registered
575 Posts
Looking down the road is the Anthem going to be able to be upgraded to handle a 8-9-or 10-channel system? This application appears to be just a software upgrade by combining the 2 separate 5.1 outputs.

I have a Sony ES9000 and Sony has not been good about providing software upgrades and the hardware upgrades are out of the question. What is Anthems history with customer service? What is your wish list for Anthem?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
James,

I had heard that Sonic Frontiers/Anthem was a company that sold quality audio components, and since I liked the sound of our system with the AVM-20 better than any other prepro I auditioned, I bought it. I had also heard that their previous prepro, the AVM-2, was suppose to be upgradeable to new formats, but wasn't (although it did have some software upgrades available online).

My only "want" for the AVM-20 is DPL II and Sonic Frontiers had said that this is going to be coming, so I took a chance. If it doesn't happen, count me among the many who purchased a prepro with the belief that they would be upgraded to the latest formats. With DPL II, I can't imagine upgrading or replacing the AVM-20 for quite some time.

As far as 8 to 10 channel prepro systems, I am not sure many prepros on the market today could do this without a new "box" or a complete replacement. The Lexicon MC-12 currently has two additional outputs as spare, along with having THREE subwoofer outputs (one dedicated to any present LFE (.1) channel, plus two for Left/Right or Mono subs). This might be the closest to fitting your request.

The AVM-20 does have two additional outputs, currently configured for a second center speaker and a second subwoofer. It is possible that these two outputs could be reconfigured to handle two more channels if needed. Despite having a decent sized room (22' x 14'), I had a devil of a time fitting a 5.1 system into it, so I can't imagine much beyond that (although a 7.1 setup may be possible).

Beyond DPL II, the only other upgrade I could see Sonic Frontiers adding to the AVM-20 would be separate crossovers by speaker. While the flexibility to set a crossover from 40 Hz to 160 Hz (by 10 Hz) is good, this crossover is global for all "small" speakers. In my system, 60 Hz is a good setting all-around, but it would be nice to be able to toggle this by +/- 10 Hz to see if it made any improvement. Other than that, I am set! :)

Michael

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks Michael,

I'm just out there looking at this point. I would like to be able to add an overhead channel and a bass shaker channel at some point in time. But they have not been created at this point. Upgradeablity is very important to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.