AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to Stewart Films web site and did some poking around to find out what firehawlk is. From the best I could tell it's a screen material right? Now with that, can you buy it in any size you like? Is it expensive? I didn't see any ordering information on their site....

Thanks all

·
Registered
916 Posts
Moon,

FireHawk is the name of a new screen material manufactured by the fine people at Stewart Filmscreen. It yields amazing results, especially when paired with one of the newer HD1 chip based projectors. It costs no more than any of their other standard screen materials. It is not yet on their website, assumably because it hasn't been around all that long. I suggest you contact Jason at AVS Forum for current pricing on all Stewart products, as they do have the best pricing and service I've encountered.

Good luck to you!

Victor

·
Registered
916 Posts
Viking2000,

I remember reading a thread on the forum a short time ago where Don Stewart of Stewart Filmscreen posted that the FireHawk was specifically developed with the HD1-chipped projectors in mind. That doesn't take away the fact that the screen will more than likely work great with other types of projectors, but I don't have the personal experience with any of the other projectors on a FireHawk, so I can't answer your question with absolute clarity. You may want to search the forum for "FireHawk" and read about what others have said. Hopefully, the posts you encounter will have the projector types listed and you can derive the answer from them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
766 Posts
As I understand it... DLP and LCD projectors do not project "Black" (Absence of light) as well as CRT projectors. Therefore, much of the detail in darker segments of movies become lost in a silvery gray hue when projected onto a bright white screen. By darkening the tint of the screen slightly off of reference white, the blacks appear darker, without sacrificing much of the colors at the other end of the color spectrum. Anyone with more informationn, or who knows the specifics, please chime in.

I believe screenmakers will send you samples of screenmaterial, once you have made the move toward purchasing a screen from them. By taping these samples onto your present temporary screen, you can immediately compare the various samples and decide which is right for you.

Once the screen is up, and the projector is color calibrated, everybody will love it, and nobody will know (they won't understand, or even care for that matter) how difficult it was to finally decide upon a screen material.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
The Firehawk material is a gray based material with a special optical coating on it that takes a normally less than uniform (1.0) gain, and by cutting down on the viewing angle slightly, improves the end result gain to about 1.35. The pros to this are that you now have improved black levels (result of the gray screen) while maintaining a good amount of reflected brightness. Another great aspect of this material is that it does an extremely good job rejecting ambient light. The Firehawk is the same price as the other Stewart materials.

It was originally designed with the HD1 DLP projectors in mind. The main reason for this is that these new projectors, having the RGBRGB color wheels and no more powerful lamps than the older units, lacked in a good bright image. Being digital, they also tended to not have the best blacks, altthough they are getting very close to CRT's. It does work very well for LCD, LCOS, and D-ila projectors as well. The main limitation to the Firehawk is the lower viewing angle (100 degrees total). If this is not an issue for you, then this is definitely a good choice to consider for digital projectors.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.