·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would likely get you to upgrade?

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Kudos Tryg. Set up a poll with only one likely outcome. Now you can use the results every time you debate the issue. I like it.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
QQQ,

I think there are a lot of good answers but the one I'm looking for is price. I am satisifed with everything out of the HD1's except price.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
It's Tryg so I have to give him a hard time. He just has too much fun rabble rousing. If you asked people whether they would rather see the market bring out a 3K 1280 x 720 projector or a 30K 1920 x 1080 projector, then I think you might obtain a different poll result, just not the one Tryg wants.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I voted for 2000:1 CR. Actually, they give me a 4:3 DLP with a fast RGBRGB colorwheel and the new 12 degree mirrors and 1800 CR, I'm writing the check.

Dan

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
We only get to choose one???

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by QQQ
Kudos Tryg. Set up a poll with only one likely outcome. Now you can use the results every time you debate the issue. I like it.
Is this a joke? One likely outcome? I gave 9 options. It should be obvious by now that there is interest in native HD projectors.

The only joke is that you guys tried to convince me that there was no demand for 1920 x 1080 projectors. Do you work for TI?

The fact is the WORLD has adopted 1920 x 1080 as the HD standard. Maybe the projector manufacturers should follow suit. Those that do will likely be very profitable.

There is no debate. ALL projector manufacturers should set 1920 x1080 as the standard to design toward.

Furthermore if TI is NOT capable of doing this, it isn't my problem. It just shows that DLP technology is at the end of it's life cycle for higher end applications. Do you want me to tell you I told you so now? or, at the end of the year?

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Does someone need a nap?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't forget to tell reps. the results of this at INFOCOM :)

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Contrast!

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Contrast is great and all but, even the smallest amount of ambient light can take a 3000:1 contrast projector to its knees. Even a candle in the room can bring your black levels up so much your contrast numbers will stink.

Most digital projector HT environments have some ambient lighting, sooo going much over 1000:1 in my opinion is a waste of engineering time. Unless you're using it as a marketing gimmick ;)

·
Registered
522 Posts
@tryg,

higher, wider, faster.

Every time the same srory. Br fair take this issue of the diskussion witch we all see first contast/black level.

The rest may be easy.

The TV productions here in germany are more and more done with 1080p stuff, without having HDTV. But beleave or not, if you see this image with a lot more black in display, it rocks.

Best

Armin

·
Registered
721 Posts
Full resolution HD native? Absolutely.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I voted for all digital path. the HD is nice, but until more source material is standardized- Id rather optimize my large and growing dvd collection.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Gentleman (and Ladies),

Tryg is right. Contrast/Black Level is very fragile. Ambient light destroys that "three dimensional" look that results from high contrast levels rather quickly. Higher resolution will go a lot further in the consumer market right now. Contrast level, although gorgeous when you see it, just does not get the consumer market buying yet. Maybe in a few years, higher contrast levels will be that "special" feature that sells the products. But right now it is only in the domain of the "eccentrics".:)

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Contrast! I want that 3D image!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.