AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for HT bass for a room that is roughly 4000 cu ft and has large openings to rest of my house. The floor will be solid oak and probably no area rugs. The sub(s) will be located along walls near the TV.

The volume will typically be at reasonable levels (I'll never try to simulate a metallica concert). Sometimes it may be a little loud.

I've tried to get suggestions for a particular sub, and I'm not sure why a particular sub is recommended. It may be for reasons that I don't really care about. So instead of taking the approach of getting advice for a particular model, I would like to know what features I need or what features are more important. I.e. 15" driver and 500 watt RMS amp. 2 subs. -3db at 20Hz. Any explanation of why I need these features would be helpful.

I want to get an idea of features that I really must have, things that would be worth paying a little extra for and things that probably aren't worth the bang for the buck.

Ay responses are appreciated.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Rather than getting overly wrapped up in "features" or specs, I think you should first concentrate on which sub(s) will be adequate for your 4000 cu ft room (which is fairly large). You may want to call some of the respected internet direct companies (HSU, Rythmik, Epik, SVS, ED, etc.) and see what they recommend for your room size. What's your budget?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/20893284

I'm looking for HT bass for a room that is roughly 4000 cu ft and has large openings to rest of my house. The floor will be solid oak and probably no area rugs. The sub(s) will be located along walls near the TV.

The volume will typically be at reasonable levels (I'll never try to simulate a metallica concert). Sometimes it may be a little loud.

I've tried to get suggestions for a particular sub, and I'm not sure why a particular sub is recommended. It may be for reasons that I don't really care about. So instead of taking the approach of getting advice for a particular model, I would like to know what features I need or what features are more important. I.e. 15" driver and 500 watt RMS amp. 2 subs. -3db at 20Hz. Any explanation of why I need these features would be helpful.

I want to get an idea of features that I really must have, things that would be worth paying a little extra for and things that probably aren't worth the bang for the buck.

Ay responses are appreciated.

The ability to provide a minimum of 105 db at the listening position, from 20Hz-80Hz with less than 10% distortion. Serious bass-heads would probably say 110-115 db from 20Hz-80Hz.

Like the previous poster we need to know your budget limitations. On a roughly $1,100 budget you might get by with 2 HSU VTF2-MK3. A different route would be one bigger louder sub from the likes of Rythmik, HSU (VTF 15H).

People here mostly shop for performance and not features. Certain Rythmik and HSU models have "features", but some owners find the extra features a real complication that most models don't present.

Two of the most popular high performance models, the Seaton Submersive and the JTR Captivator have very little in the way of features. It is basic performance that makes them so highly rated.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 /forum/post/20893709

What's your budget?

I'm not going to buy anything that won't fit my needs. My budget is as low as it needs to be to meet necessary requirements for good bass. I realize I would likely need to spend at least say $800, but am willing to go higher (within reason) if that's what I need to spend.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/20894036

I have a question...

For my room, would I be better off with two hsu VTF-2 MK 3? or one hsu VTF-15H?

You should discuss that with the people at HSU. You can even submit a floor plan so they can get a better idea of what the subs will have to deal with.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Agreed-give Pete at HSU a call-he's a great guy. You should also have a chat with Bryan and Enrico at Rythmik.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/20894036

I have a question...

For my room, would I be better off with two hsu VTF-2 MK 3? or one hsu VTF-15H?

For your room at 4000^3 that's open to even more space you had better increase your budget. (that's a large space to cover and still put a smile on your face)

A pair of 15Hs is more like it. Unless your expectations are low, one of any brand of sub isn't going to cut it in your room for your budget.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 /forum/post/20894186

For your room at 4000^3 that's open to even more space you had better increase your budget. (that's a large space to cover and still put a smile on your face)

A pair of 15Hs is more like it. Unless your expectations are low, one of any brand of sub isn't going to cut it in your room for your budget.

If he could get away with nearfield placement (within 4 feet of the listening position), one sub might well be enough.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/20894423

If he could get away with nearfield placement (within 4 feet of the listening position), one sub might well be enough.

I was thinking of that. It might be fine for one seat (maybe two).

However, he would be really constrained in placement not to mention the freq response issues from such a limited option.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Use two subs coupled/placed next to each other to avoid any phase issues and achieve even sub coverage across the room. Having subs on either side of a room can create a power alley where you will find the low frequencies strong in the centre of the room but weaker on the sides of the room

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeka /forum/post/20895366

Use two subs coupled/placed next to each other to avoid any phase issues and achieve even sub coverage across the room. Having subs on either side of a room can create a power alley where you will find the low frequencies strong in the centre of the room but weaker on the sides of the room

I'm thinking 2 subs also.

What configuration would be best? Downfiring? front firing in the same or opposite directions?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeka /forum/post/20895366

With all due respect, lots of people get fine results with one sub in the right front corner and one in the left rear corner. If one was going to co-locate 2 subs as you described, they might as well get one more powerful sub.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeka /forum/post/0

This is absolutely true in some rooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/0

With all due respect, lots of people get fine results with one sub in the right front corner and one in the left rear corner. If one was going to co-locate 2 subs as you described, they might as well get one more powerful sub.

This is also true in some rooms.

The only thing that is true in all rooms with dual subs is that it is highly unlikely that a good FR will be achieved without measuring equipment. One "rule of thumb" approach to dual sub placement is as good as any other since they all have the same dismal chance of being any good.

·
Registered
751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/20893879

The ability to provide a minimum of 105 db at the listening position, from 20Hz-80Hz with less than 10% distortion. Serious bass-heads would probably say 110-115 db from 20Hz-80Hz.

Would that be without room gain?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLansing /forum/post/20902599

Would that be without room gain?

No, that would be with room gain. Achieving even 105 db at 20 Hz with less than 10% THD is not particularly easy.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy
No, that would be with room gain. Achieving even 105 db at 20 Hz with less than 10% THD is not particularly easy.
Yeah,the distortion levels would be pretty high without multiple subs at play.

Isn't typical room gain around 9dB?

Thanks,

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/20897266

I'm thinking 2 subs also.

What configuration would be best? Downfiring? front firing in the same or opposite directions?

I have had good results with dual front firing subs coupled together in the same direction. I haven't tried two down firing subs...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.