AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some are calling it OLED some are calling it LCD - I'm not sure what group it will end up in but I'm interested to see it as it gets revealed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Samsung seems to be hedging their bets by pursuing several different technologies concurrently. Namely: QD-OLED, QNED, MicroLED, and MiniLED-backlit LCD. The latter is the only LCD-based technology and would be the easiest for Samsung to get to market, considering they already exist from other brands.

QD-OLED, QNED, and MicroLED are unrelated to LCD, so discussion for those belong in the "OLED and flat panel general" forum.

Also worth mentioning Samsung Electronics and Samsung Display are two different companies, with different goals. The TVs you buy are made by Samsung Electronics, while the panels that go in the TVs are made by Samsung Display. Traditionally, Samsung TVs have mostly used Samsung panels, but since Samsung Display is getting out of the LCD panel business, future Samsung TVs will have to use panels from other manufacturers if they plan to continue to sell LCD-based models (which seems to be the case). Moreover, these two companies are pursuing different display technologies: QD-OLED and QNED for Samsung Display; MiniLED-LCD and MicroLED for Samsung Electronics.

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
Not shure what new tech we are talking about here. My guess is QD OLED which has very little to do with LCD tech.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This video was hard for me to follow or just not logical to me but thought it was interesting.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Some are calling it OLED some are calling it LCD - I'm not sure what group it will end up in but I'm interested to see it as it gets revealed.
As subtec already stated Samsung does not abandon LCDs. The panels in 2021 will be supplied by brands like AUO, Sharp and TCL.
The QD-OLEDs will obviously be in the OLED section.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts