AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Augie--

I used your calculator for the first time tonight. Assuming a hypothetical room of 16 x 23 and a 123" (diagonal) screen, the Grayhawk yields lambert levels of 17 with the Sharp Z9000 operating at its maximum 800 lumens. (I know that there is some 600 lumens setting as well, but I'm not sure when it applies).

Is 17 high enough w/a little ambient light (lights, not light from outside)?

Also, a little off topic here, but the calculator gives about 16 1/2' as the MSD. What's the minimum? I've called Stewart, and they say 2 x screen height (which would be a little under 10'). Seems like a narrow range.

Thanks for the great tool--

Drew

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally posted by royalswin
(I know that there is some 600 lumens setting as well, but I'm not sure when it applies)
If you press the "Theater Mode" button on the Sharp remote the light output drops to 600 lumens. As a consequence, the fan slows down and gets quieter.

Quote:
Is 17 [foot lamberts] high enough w/a little ambient light (lights, not light from outside)?
Good question. I don't know. I've not seen any guidelines regarding foot lambert measurements and ambient light.

Quote:
Also, a little off topic here, but the calculator gives about 16 1/2' as the MSD. What's the minimum? I've called Stewart, and they say 2 x screen height (which would be a little under 10'). Seems like a narrow range.
I'd say as close as you want as long as you don't find the pixel structure distracting or the image size so big your neck hurts from moving your head to follow the on-screen action. :) More conversation about screen distance here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=87732

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are a lot of threads asking about the Sharp and what screen to use. Keep voting to let us know what you're using!

I almost forgot... bump. :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hard to keep this poll visible with all of the activity on the forum the last couple of days. Bump.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ordering a 96" W (110" diag) Studiotek 130 for now, but plan to replace with the new Stewart DLP screen when available.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Using 100" diagonal 16:9 Studiotek130. Image is bright enough (600 lumen mode) and blacks look good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Using 100" diagonal 16:9 STEWART Studiotek130(Gain 1.3). Image is bright enough (600 lumen mode) and blacks look good.

·
Registered
217 Posts
royalswin,

I think that Don Stewart's testing of the 9000 yielded a maximum of 670 or so lumens in the highest light output setting. I think that could have a significant impact on your calculations.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I was at Stereo Exchange in NYC, and was told that Stewart will produce a new screen specifically for projectors like the 9000 called the "Firehawk". Should be available in 2-6 months.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have on order..

a DA-LITE 119" diagonal with a 1.5 gain.

Can't wait to get it, I should have it in by Wed Dec 5th.

:)

Chris

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
hi guys :)

any of you lucky ones took some screenshots already ?

will a 2.0 gain screen affect the blacks quality ?

thanks

David

·
Registered
34 Posts
Several people have mentioned getting a Stewart screen and later on replacing the fabric with the newer fabric made for DLP's. How easy is this to do? I'm ordering a Stewart Luxus A Electriscreen with Grayhawk fabric right now. Would it have to be sent back to Stewart to replace the fabric later? Is this expensive?

thanks,

Dan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.