AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -- I currently own a Mitsu 55807, but haven't yet taken the leap to full HDTV, as I'm waiting for the Zenith STB (I'm occupying myself with my overlarge DVD collection for now). I live in a small apartment building (actually a house that was subdivided into 6 apartments) in Beverly Hills. The problem is that, from a renter's standpoint, the various rooftop/outdoor antennas that folks here have been trying are nice, but have very poor LAF (landlord-acceptance-factors). Soooo....I'm wondering what indoor options might be feasible. All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I'm sorry to not be much more help than this, but when I read your message the image of a CM4248 attached inverted to a rotor from your ceiling right over your sofa made me laugh! At least, that's what I'd do http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif I live out in the boonies, but there are several members here that live near transmitters that will be along with more difinitive answers. You might also try a search in this forum for "indoor antenna", etc. as I have seen several similar threads in the last several months.

Good luck!

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Get the best indoor antenna (VHF only) for HDTV: The Silver Sensor from www.nbtelectronics.com. (Only online dealer that sells those AFAIK)

PS: All Digital OTA channels are on the VHF band throughout the country with very exceptions. (I think CBS-DT Chicago is on UHF)

------------------

***Stop DFAST, HDCP and Boycott JVC*** HTPC1: P-III 800Mhz EB, 256MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS CUSL2 Mobo,Telemann HiPix HDTV PCI card, Geforce 2 GTS 32MB DDR, Creative DVD-RAM, Creative Soundblaster Platinum 5.1 Dolby Digital, IBM 45GB 7200rpm HD, SuperMicro 750 FullTower with 6 fans, Cable Modem, Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2040u (22")s>

[This message has been edited by Desertfox (edited 05-22-2001).]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I think you mean most are on UHF. If you are on the other side of the Hollywood Hills mountain you may need some big guns to pick up without a line of site with Mt. Wilson. You should talk to the landlord.

Glenn

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertfox:
Get the best indoor antenna (VHF only) for HDTV: The Silver Sensor from www.nbtelectronics.com. (Only online dealer that sells those AFAIK)

PS: All Digital OTA channels are on the VHF band throughout the country with very exceptions. (I think CBS-DT Chicago is on UHF)

·
Registered
497 Posts
err yeah, the other way around. Thanks for correcting my mistake.

------------------

***Stop DFAST, HDCP and Boycott JVC*** HTPC1: P-III 800Mhz EB, 256MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS CUSL2 Mobo,Telemann HiPix HDTV PCI card, Geforce 2 GTS 32MB DDR, Creative DVD-RAM, Creative Soundblaster Platinum 5.1 Dolby Digital, IBM 45GB 7200rpm HD, SuperMicro 750 FullTower with 6 fans, Cable Modem, Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2040u (22")s>

·
Registered
260 Posts
I used the radio shack double bow tie for a while, then I got the silver sensor. Both of them were able, with some serious positioning, to get all of the local digital channels from my TV's location in the basement! I ended up putting in a rooftop antenna just so passing cars wouldn't disrupt my signal. The bow tie didn't have to be as exactly positioned but the silver sensor received better signal. YMMV.

Terry

Mitsu 46"

Dish 6000

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I live in a second floor condo about 16 - 18 miles from the local TV towers. Yesterday I finally got my Dish 6000 and went and bought the $15 Rat Shack double bow tie antenna. I'm getting between 80 and 100 on ALL Metro Detroit digital stations. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

But the land here is basically flat as a pancake so I have clear line of site to the tower.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi saltheart,

I take it you live in a rental unit. If you owned the property, then you can install an outdoor antenna.

At any rate, I would recommend trying a Radio Shack double bowtie antenna first. Try to move it around your apt for the best possible signal. If that doesn't work, then return it and get a Radio Shack attic/small outdoor antenna instead. Some of these can be concealed behind furniture or even in closets, so it is a viable option. Again, string the cable to various parts of the room or your apt to get the best possible signal. If none of the outdoor options work, then you might want to pursue a small outdoor antenna tucked away from view might be an option.

For more antenna tips including sources for the Silver Sensor, pls click here .

Thanks,

Errol

------------------
Keohi HDTV

Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

·
Registered
97 Posts
You guys are very helpful. I live in an apartment too. Does the antenna have to be on the roof or will it help just to put it outside (like on my fence). I'm on the first floor.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Many DTV reception problems are a combination of low signal levels and multipath. The Silver Sensor has a fair amount of gain at UHF frequencies, and should get you started. You may want to add a preamp if signal levels are unstable.

The Channel Master #7775 Titan 2 is a two-piece unit designed for mast mounting, but works fine as an indoor preamp to boost signal levels.

Don't be surprised if you have to turn the Silver Sensor to get best reception on different DTV channels.

For more info on antennas, here's a good site:
www.projectorexpert.com

KC

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx for the suggestions, folks! Yeah, if I owned this place, there wouldn't be an issue -- I'd rig up a nice, big, outdoor eyesore, and to hell with the aesthetics! However, my landlord is not of that mindset....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Desertfox:

Cleveland ,OH Has two VHS HDTV Channels 2 and 10

[This message has been edited by jaam (edited 05-24-2001).]

·
Registered
271 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.