AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
I can attest to the fact that once you get hooked on to calibrating, there is no going back. You will spend countless hours but you won't regret it. It is so gratifying when you see the three bars(RGB) all unequal and then slowly become equal and the Delta E keeps going down. I too bought a meter recently and whether my TV is better or not, I feel I already got my money's worth in the use of the meter, so much so that I am thinking of buying an i1 Pro 2(used, not new). Good luck with your calibration.
PS: Ted's calibration disc is invaluable. It is a treasure trove.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
CalMAN Enthusiast is $399. That gives you autocal on selected LG, Sharp, Samsung, and Panasonic TVs and certain brands of projectors plus autocal with 3D LUTs on Radiance and DVDO video processors and eeColor LUT boxes. It also includes computer monitor calibration (ICC profiles) on up to 3 computers. The HDFury Integral is $179, IIRC.
Thanks. For a professional calibrator, those costs are a no-brainer, but that's a big nut to swallow for DIY software you're only going to use one weekend-per-year.

It would be much more palatable if Calman had a monthly rental model or a 1-time use model.

Or alternatively, if 4-5 Video Enthusiasts in the same area band together and chip in $200-250 each, seems as though $800-1000 could allow you to put together an end-to-end solution (possibly without colorimeters since those are probably the only delicate component...).

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Also, DV calibration is not as easy because you have to upload a profile for your TVs. The professional who did my Oleds had all the gear necessary to do SDR and HDR then when it was time to do DV, he sighed, then pulled out a USB and had to get my OLED to recognize the profile and use that to calibrate. And yes, he was using Calman software with DV workflow.
Does this mean that with Calman Enthusiast you do not get the Dolby Vision Golden File needed for an LG OLED?

If so, how is the necessary Golden File acquired?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Does this mean that with Calman Enthusiast you do not get the Dolby Vision Golden File needed for an LG OLED?

I really do not know that fafrd.

I think the profile on the USB may come from Dolby?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Thanks. For a professional calibrator, those costs are a no-brainer, but that's a big nut to swallow for DIY software you're only going to use one weekend-per-year.

It would be much more palatable if Calman had a monthly rental model or a 1-time use model.

Or alternatively, if 4-5 Video Enthusiasts in the same area band together and chip in $200-250 each, seems as though $800-1000 could allow you to put together an end-to-end solution (possibly without colorimeters since those are probably the only delicate component...).
Honestly, it isn't a one-time-per-year use thing. Notice all the hand-wringing in the flat panel forums every time there's a firmware update to one popular set or another. People are concerned that their settings will no longer be valid, and in some cases, that is true. You also can calibrate all your displays, be they projector, flat panel, CRT, plasma, computer monitor, whatever. Not all will be do-able via AutoCal, but the program does manual calibration as well, the same as your free solution. Like you, I'm not a professional calibrator, just a DIY guy. Nor am I a shill for Spectracal, but I have owned CalMAN since version 2.0. I also own LightSpace HTL. The additional capability such as autocalibration that you can get with commercial software does help justify the additional cost.
On a lighter note, from something in one of your previous posts, I take it you live in the Bay area. Talk about cost...:eek:

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

LG doesn't use a publicly-available Golden Reference file like Vizio does. By measuring and calibrating the set in the special DV calibration mode, then uploading the generated data to the set, you are essentially producing a Golden Reference for that individual TV which is then used while watching DV content.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Honestly, it isn't a one-time-per-year use thing. Notice all the hand-wringing in the flat panel forums every time there's a firmware update to one popular set or another. People are concerned that their settings will no longer be valid, and in some cases, that is true. You also can calibrate all your displays, be they projector, flat panel, CRT, plasma, computer monitor, whatever. Not all will be do-able via AutoCal, but the program does manual calibration as well, the same as your free solution. Like you, I'm not a professional calibrator, just a DIY guy. Nor am I a shill for Spectracal, but I have owned CalMAN since version 2.0. I also own LightSpace HTL. The additional capability such as autocalibration that you can get with commercial software does help justify the additional cost.
On a lighter note, from something in one of your previous posts, [b{I take it you live in the Bay area. Talk about cost.[/b]..:eek:
Now there's a plan! Pack up and move from the Bay Area to the Midwest so I can afford professional calibration software!

On another note, I think I saw that HDR calibration may require a different colorimeter. Is it correct that the i1DisplayPro maxes out at 1000 cd/2. If so, it should still be OK for 2018 WOLEDs but might not be by next year (and certainly not by the time LG comes out with top-emission, probably by 2020...).

·
Registered
646 Posts
Now there's a plan! Pack up and move from the Bay Area to the Midwest so I can afford professional calibration software!

On another note, I think I saw that HDR calibration may require a different colorimeter. Is it correct that the i1DisplayPro maxes out at 1000 cd/2. If so, it should still be OK for 2018 WOLEDs but might not be by next year (and certainly not by the time LG comes out with top-emission, probably by 2020...).
I think it is that the retail i1DisplayPro is certified up to 1000 nits. OEM is certified up to 2000. However, Tom Huffmann has said that even the retail goes over 2000 nits. X-rite doesn't certify it.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
I think it is that the retail i1DisplayPro is certified up to 1000 nits. OEM is certified up to 2000. However, Tom Huffmann has said that even the retail goes over 2000 nits. X-rite doesn't certify it.
Good to know - thanks.

2000 Nits should be enough for WOLED for at least the next 5 years ;).

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
These are post-January 2017 models, both OEM and Retail. Anything earlier doesn't have the 2K nit capability.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So this is a nooby calibration question, but here goes...

With a projector displaying content from a HTPC, do I calibrate the PJ for my screen, or do I calibrate my HTPC profile for my Projector+screen, or do I do both, or either, or..... man my brain already hurts.

I'm assuming a calibrate my PJ to my screen AND THEN calibrate my HTPC profile :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
So this is a nooby calibration question, but here goes...

With a projector displaying content from a HTPC, do I calibrate the PJ for my screen, or do I calibrate my HTPC profile for my Projector+screen, or do I do both, or either, or..... man my brain already hurts.

I'm assuming a calibrate my PJ to my screen AND THEN calibrate my HTPC profile :rolleyes:
The last statement is correct. Calibrate the PJ and screen together, then do the HTPC profile for the projector and screen combo.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The last statement is correct. Calibrate the PJ and screen together, then do the HTPC profile for the projector and screen combo.
Thanks, it took my brain a few cycles to break things out and realize that my HTPC is just a media playing device like any other. Do other media devices allow for custom color profiles, like bluray players? or is that why people use video processors?

·
Registered
345 Posts
What is the difference between the i1Display Pro. And C6-Hdr?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Blu-ray players give you about the same basic controls as TVs: contrast, brightness, color/tint, sharpness. No custom color profiles similar to video processors. But there is software available to do that without a standalone VP. Look through the HTPC area of the forum to find references.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
What is the difference between the i1Display Pro. And C6-Hdr?

The C6-HDR is a Spectracal-branded OEM I1D3 that Spectracal has verified and created additional display-specific profiles for. These are only available for use through the CalMAN software. If it is the HDR and not the HDR-2000, it's certified by Spectracal to be good to 1300 nits.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The C6-HDR is a Spectracal-branded OEM I1D3 that Spectracal has verified and created additional display-specific profiles for. These are only available for use through the CalMAN software. If it is the HDR and not the HDR-2000, it's certified by Spectracal to be good to 1300 nits.
Thoughts on it for a beginner? Just had my Sony 385es professionally calibrated but have been reading about the various platforms.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Thoughts on it for a beginner? Just had my Sony 385es professionally calibrated but have been reading about the various platforms.

If you don't have or plan to have CalMAN, the extra capability you are paying for will be wasted.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a very noob question regarding what I would like to do. Currently I have a RS6710 projector and 120" 2:35 Screen Innovations 1.3 gain screen. I am using a Nvidia Shield as a source. It looks great with 1080p, and even 4k through my OPPO 203 player. However when using 4k and the shield the color and contrast is all blown out. My searching leads me to believe that the difference between the oppo and the shield is the HDR to SDR tone mapping on the shield is the culprit.

I am wondering if a combo of Display Cal, spyder 5, and a EEcolor lut box would allow me to correct for this until I replace my projector (probably a while down the road)?

I guess I am trying to do this somewhat on the cheap because I will eventually want full 4k and HDR.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts