AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
I have a very noob question regarding what I would like to do. Currently I have a RS6710 projector and 120" 2:35 Screen Innovations 1.3 gain screen. I am using a Nvidia Shield as a source. It looks great with 1080p, and even 4k through my OPPO 203 player. However when using 4k and the shield the color and contrast is all blown out. My searching leads me to believe that the difference between the oppo and the shield is the HDR to SDR tone mapping on the shield is the culprit.

I am wondering if a combo of Display Cal, spyder 5, and a EEcolor lut box would allow me to correct for this until I replace my projector (probably a while down the road)?

I guess I am trying to do this somewhat on the cheap because I will eventually want full 4k and HDR.
To play HDR on the RS6710 you will need to load the BT.2020 profile and create some custom gamma curves using Arve's Tool. There were some posts in the x500 thread on the details.

To calibrate the projector, HCFR is a more suitable than DisplayCal.

EEColor does not accept 4K signals.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a colormunki display and I'm looking at using it to calibrate my a samsung JS900 connected to my PC.
I'm a little confused as to which software to use.

Is it incorrect to use Displaycal to calibrate the display and then use it to generate a 3DLUT for madvr? The tv's use is largely playback via mpchc + madvr, netflix via smarthub app and pc games. Should I be looking to use HCFR instead?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I am still researching the topic a bit. Would be nice to hear from user who have had a look at all the software options. I hear the ChromaPure workflow and interface is really nice. LightSpace has some nice features as outlined by Ted.

Ted, is it not possible to get the i1DisplayPro profiled by a reference spectroradiometer for both laser phosphor and lamp based projectors ? Both SpecraCal and ChromaPure offer such profiles with their OEM i1DisplayPro meters.

Laser Phosphor DLP systems emulates a lamp anyway due to the phosphor even though it is brighter, the only exception that I can think of is the blue laser which preserves it's integrity by passing through a clear section of a colour wheel.

Can the i1Pro2 spectrophotometer be used in place of the i1DisplayPro for projectors assuming that most domestic use projectors including the brightest laser phosphor versions go up to about 300 to 400 nits. Can the i1Pro2 handle the dark end of the spectrum as well as the i1DisplayPro ?

I'm trying to understand what you mean when you say that both probes need to be used because of the fact that every projector needs to be profiled individually, is there such a big difference between laser and lamp projectors from brand to brand ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm planning on getting a 4K TV this Fall, probably an LG-C8 or Sony A8F. I was wondering if the calibration gear & software you are discussing typically requires access to a set's service menu or can it make any significant picture quality improvements utilizing just the non-service menu adjustments available in the sets mentioned above?

Noob question, I know, but thanks for any clarification.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
I am still researching the topic a bit. Would be nice to hear from user who have had a look at all the software options. I hear the ChromaPure workflow and interface is really nice. LightSpace has some nice features as outlined by Ted.

Ted, is it not possible to get the i1DisplayPro profiled by a reference spectroradiometer for both laser phosphor and lamp based projectors ? Both SpecraCal and ChromaPure offer such profiles with their OEM i1DisplayPro meters.

Laser Phosphor DLP systems emulates a lamp anyway due to the phosphor even though it is brighter, the only exception that I can think of is the blue laser which preserves it's integrity by passing through a clear section of a colour wheel.

Can the i1Pro2 spectrophotometer be used in place of the i1DisplayPro for projectors assuming that most domestic use projectors including the brightest laser phosphor versions go up to about 300 to 400 nits. Can the i1Pro2 handle the dark end of the spectrum as well as the i1DisplayPro ?

I'm trying to understand what you mean when you say that both probes need to be used because of the fact that every projector needs to be profiled individually, is there such a big difference between laser and lamp projectors from brand to brand ?
Hi Sam,

I have missed your question because there were no 'quote' of my nickname to get notification.

LightIllusion is not selling profiled meters, they are selling all the instruments directly from each company, so they don't have 'shelf stock'.

Each display requires its own meter profiling, because each projector, even if you compare the same tech (blue laser source for example), they have different spectral distribution, so having one table based to one model doesn't guarantee to you accurate performance measuring different models of the same tech.

For that reason it's highly recommended to create a new meter profiling to the place you want to measure/calibrate.

For example see below some SPD graphs coming from different blue laser projectors (see peak shape but weighting also):

JVC DLA-Z1

Epson EH-LS10000

Optoma UHZ65

When you will have both instruments (i1Display PRO colorimeter and i1PRO2 spectrophotometer) you will use them both only during meter profiling creation, after that procedure (measuring 4 patches per each instrument, and verification or the profiling later) ...then you will use the profiled i1Display PRO for the whole calibration session.

You can see some recommendation about what to do before the meter profiling (end of this page) and the very important step of meter profiling verification (most of the users ignoring...see details here) ...after the meter profiling generation; to be sure that your generated 3x3 XYZ matrix is accurate.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
I have a colormunki display and I'm looking at using it to calibrate my a samsung JS900 connected to my PC.
I'm a little confused as to which software to use.

Is it incorrect to use Displaycal to calibrate the display and then use it to generate a 3DLUT for madvr? The tv's use is largely playback via mpchc + madvr, netflix via smarthub app and pc games. Should I be looking to use HCFR instead?
Hi, you can use madTPG (madVR test pattern generator) from inside DisplayCAL, and the use the generated 3D LUT table for madVR with Media Player Classic HC: https://hub.displaycal.net/wiki/3d-lut-creation-workflow-for-madvr-or-eecolor/

Before starting the 3D LUT measurements, you can find the best pre-calibration settings using HCFR and adjusting your Samsung calibration controls. Check Contrast/Brightness/Color Clipping and pre-calibrate 100% White only (while you will keep an eye for your desired peak luminance levels). Find your native gamut 'colorspace' (larger colorspace from REC.709) setting and use that one. No need to do other parametric adjustments of TV's CMS controls.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Now there's a plan! Pack up and move from the Bay Area to the Midwest so I can afford professional calibration software!

On another note, I think I saw that HDR calibration may require a different colorimeter. Is it correct that the i1DisplayPro maxes out at 1000 cd/2. If so, it should still be OK for 2018 WOLEDs but might not be by next year (and certainly not by the time LG comes out with top-emission, probably by 2020...).
I packed up and left the Bay Area. The result? My HT is now in MY actual home!

I use i1D3, i1 pro rev D, and HCFR

·
Registered
976 Posts
When calibrating displays or projectors for SDR and HDR - does one need to setup 2 different profiles: one for SDR and one for HDR ? I understand that SDR works with the rec.709 standard but since there is no standard for HDR how does one calibrate effectively for HDR?

I'm under the impression that there is only one calibration profile/setting for HDR based on the max gamut of the device. This is then used in conjunction with tone mapping methods/profiles that also effect device luminance settings based on the incoming video signal (HDR10, P3 via BT2020). Apparently BT.2020 is a container for DCI-P3. Is it also a container for HDR10 for those displayed/projectors that don't support it ?

Can someone please explain this in a clear and easy to understand manner.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
You need two profiles, one for SDR and one for HDR. And HDR definitely does have standards for color gamut and luminance. They are BT2020 for color and ST2084 for luminance. However, no current display can meet either. So in-display tone mapping is necessary. Displays don't usually allow you to defeat the tone mapping, so you have to do what little calibration is possible in concert with it, rather than instead of it. Mostly you're limited to grayscale and basic color/tint adjustments.
You see P3 within a BT2020 container mentioned these days because theatrical features are color corrected using P3 for digital cinema presentation. No home theater display actually uses P3 as a gamut. 2020 or 709 are it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
You need two profiles, one for SDR and one for HDR. And HDR definitely does have standards for color gamut and luminance. They are BT2020 for color and ST2084 for luminance. However, no current display can meet either. So in-display tone mapping is necessary. Displays don't usually allow you to defeat the tone mapping, so you have to do what little calibration is possible in concert with it, rather than instead of it. Mostly you're limited to grayscale and basic color/tint adjustments.
You see P3 within a BT2020 container mentioned these days because theatrical features are color corrected using P3 for digital cinema presentation. No home theater display actually uses P3 as a gamut. 2020 or 709 are it.
Thank you Rolls, that was informative. What calibration software do you use ?

Have you tried outboard processors such as the Lumagen for tone mapping / calibration - They're quite expensive.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Thank you Rolls, that was informative. What calibration software do you use ?

Have you tried outboard processors such as the Lumagen for tone mapping / calibration - They're quite expensive.
I use CalMAN and LightSpace. And we have Lumagen Radiance 202x processors on both of our displays. Their 3D LUTs make a huge difference!

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
CalMAN Enthusiast is $399. That gives you autocal on selected LG, Sharp, Samsung, and Panasonic TVs and certain brands of projectors plus autocal with 3D LUTs on Radiance and DVDO video processors and eeColor LUT boxes. It also includes computer monitor calibration (ICC profiles) on up to 3 computers. The HDFury Integral is $179, IIRC.
For a projector such as a JVC Rs520, how much "value" or increased performance is there in getting something like a Radiance Pro (that of course *should* last through a few projector upgrades) vs just using Calman, an i1 Display pro, and the projector itself? In other words, is buying such a nice processor worth the extra money to pair with a meter like the i1 Display pro? And also it the increase in performance on the resulting calibration so high as to be quite obvious over the built in controls on the JVC? I was considering a used Radiance PRO at some point, but just not sure if it is "worth it" over what I get out of the box on the JVC with how good they have become. Note, for the time being, this is all just about SDR, and maybe SDR with rec 2020 (UHD discs ripped but with HDR stripped out) since with my 156" AT screen, I have no chance in the world at a decent HDR presentation. Maybe when 5k and higher lumen projectors are commonplace....

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
For a projector such as a JVC Rs520, how much "value" or increased performance is there in getting something like a Radiance Pro (that of course *should* last through a few projector upgrades) vs just using Calman, an i1 Display pro, and the projector itself? In other words, is buying such a nice processor worth the extra money to pair with a meter like the i1 Display pro? And also it the increase in performance on the resulting calibration so high as to be quite obvious over the built in controls on the JVC? I was considering a used Radiance PRO at some point, but just not sure if it is "worth it" over what I get out of the box on the JVC with how good they have become. Note, for the time being, this is all just about SDR, and maybe SDR with rec 2020 (UHD discs ripped but with HDR stripped out) since with my 156" AT screen, I have no chance in the world at a decent HDR presentation. Maybe when 5k and higher lumen projectors are commonplace....
The 3D LUTs are head and shoulders above what can be attained with in-display controls. In addition, the Radiance has terrific video processing and aspect ratio control. I suggest you check out the thread on the Radiance Pro in the "Video Processors" area of the forum.:)

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Is calibrating with those "idiot proof"? My JVC seems to have a million different controls now.. a far cry from my earlier units. If I have a Radiance along with an I1 Display Pro and Calman, do I basically turn on the autocal / 3D LUT and let it calibrate one Rec 709 input and one Rec 2020 input (or P3 in a Rec 2020 container... whatever is correct) and just "go"?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Is calibrating with those "idiot proof"? My JVC seems to have a million different controls now.. a far cry from my earlier units. If I have a Radiance along with an I1 Display Pro and Calman, do I basically turn on the autocal / 3D LUT and let it calibrate one Rec 709 input and one Rec 2020 input (or P3 in a Rec 2020 container... whatever is correct) and just "go"?
They aren't "one click" solutions, if that's what you mean. Generally you'll need to set brightness and contrast as well as do a basic 100% White white balance before beginning. The Radiance generates its own patterns, or you can use an external pattern source. Check out the guides on Spectracal's website. They have them for the Radiance processors and for many displays.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I found it cheaper back in the day to pay for calibration by a pro...I watched his every move/sequence and was able to ask a few ???'s....since that one time pro calibration...I now calibrate my own to my best ability and have been happy.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi, If you decide to get your own meters and start the journey, the ideal meter to get is the i1Display PRO (colorimeter) and if you want to improve it more, you can add a spectrophotometer (like i1PRO2) to use it for creating a unique meter correction table for each of your displays, to improve your colorimeter color accuracy. To see why you need both or a lot of other details generally about these 2 meters see there.

For calibration software for your LG, any calibration software you will choose can provide you nearly the same end results, adjusting your display internal calibration controls. The differences will be to layout interface/workflow.

The difference of free software vs. paid software is the customer support (and supported hardware). If you choose free software (like HCFR) there no guides (up-to-date), no manual and support will come from other users if you post a question to HCFR thread or from developer which is very helpful (Zoyd) (and some experienced users may reply) or by searching already posted questions/topics.

Paid software has manual, guides, customer support via email/forum from each company. (not all paid solution companies have proper support, and not all companies have up-to-date guides)

Using the free software you can do SDR and HDR10 calibration.

For Dolby Vision you will need to buy CalMAN Enthousiast and HD Fury Integral, also it will require from you to have a notebook with Intel GPU, to be able to generate DV patterns, procedure explained here, it will seem pretty complex for a newcomer to calibration: LG 2017 OLED Dolby Vision Calibration

You can start with SDR and HDR10 (with free software), and do DV in later time, once you will be involved deeper to calibration stuff.

About calibration software there free solutions, you can download:

1) HCFR from here with support forum topic: HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software

2) The Free DPS version of LightSpace CMS can be used also with an i1Display PRO meter, there available to read various guides on the Light Illusion website.

The specific guide for use with LightSpace DPS is here.

But there is a lot of potentially useful/interesting info in the various guides on the website also.

Support forum topic: Free LightSpace DPS - Manual Display Calibration

There is a HCFR tutorial from a forum member here: The certainly not complete user guide to get to know and calibrate your TV

After selecting your calibration software, you have to find a calibration disk which had been created specifically for each software because there differences between calibration disk that can affect the final result when you will use not proper patterns for each measurement run.

You will playback the calibration disk from the source you use to playback your movies, to include to the adjustments you will make any player internal processing/colorspace conversions inaccuracies, to have your full video chain calibrated.

If you will decide to use a notebook as pattern generator you have to compare fist and see if it's matching a blu-ray player (with YCbCr output colorspace) and using a calibration disk as a reference, if you see that you have agreement with black/white/gamma/color gamut etc, then you can use the notebook or HDMI stick solution.

For improve your calibration knowledge, here are some useful links generally for calibration:

Newhome2017 - The Laser Video EXPerience

Video Calibration From The Inside - Volume I - 2nd Edition-1

ChromaPure Video Calibration Software

http://chromapure.com/ChromaPureManual.pdf

http://www.spectracal.com/downloads/...n%20How-To.pdf

http://calman.spectracal.com/user-guides.html

http://calman.spectracal.com/webinars.html

Portrait Displays

Why Calibrate?

Light Illusion

http://lightillusion.com/manual_cali...ots_guide.html
Great post extremely informative. Thanks ConnecTEDDD !!! Now I have to find a good deal on an i1DisplayPro OEM or i1DisplayPro...

41 - 60 of 65 Posts