Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo guys!

Some weeks ago i read that there was comming an sdi option for the htpc with dscaler, what is the current deal at the moment?

Who makes it? how does it work? what is the advantage?when can I get it?

Will it make a better picture than a ordinary htpc?

Thanks in advance.

Kempf.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
There are messages about it up at the top.

current deal AFAIK:

They're going to start selling cards with SDI inputs. They will also upgrade about 5 different DVD players that you can send in with an SDI output.

Dschmelzer (sp?) et al are in charge of making it I believe. Again, loop at the first few posts.

How does it work:

They grab the digital data before it hits the DAC. You get a perfect image from a set top box that can be input into Dscalers supperior deinterlacing engine. No signal quality loss, very easy to use.

Better picture?

For well done DVDs with no obvious problems on HTPC, you probably won't notice a huge difference. But video sourced DVDs (concerts, cartoons probably) will show a huge improvement. Most software DVD players stink at handling video. The other obvious advantage is ease of use. You just turn on Dscaler and use your DVD player like you normally would. No issues with getting DD5.1, DTS, LFE, etc. Heck no sound card needed at all. Do direct DVD player -> receiver hookup.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Dan,

I'm giving some serious thought to getting an SDI board.

On your initial post for the board you describe the inputs available on the card and mention that there is a jumper which is used to specifiy which input connector is selected. I was wondering if there was some way change this so that the input connector selection is done via software, ie within Dscaler which already has source selction options?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Rick: the only thing that will change it from a 4 composite to 3 composite/1 s-video and vice-versa is the jumper.

But let's just get this straight. You have four composite and 1 s-video source?!! I thought five inputs available at a time, including SDI, was an embarassment of riches...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.