AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a contractor shattered my 50 inch plasma, I'm in the market to replace it with a similar sized lcd which I hope to be more durable. A 46" panel is a noticeable downgrade and wouldn't suit my large livingroom, and a 55" panel is too big for the wife-approval-factor (and even i think it's overkill). There used to be a large selection of 52" panels which would be perfect, but they are nearly impossible to find now -- no new panels from Samsung, Toshiba, Vizio, Philips, etc -- and what's out there cost more than the 55" ones. Is there no market for LCDs between 46" and 55"?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
as far as LCD size goes, the only one I believe who still produce 52" pannel is Sharp. So most does have some selection of 52". Sharp also manufacturer for other company like sony who is using their panel in their hx909 series.

Samsung as far as I know only produce 55" pannel and their panel is used by Themself and Sony on some models.

LG also produce their own panels. You will notice that LG don't make 46" but only 47". But they also only produce 55" and not 52".

On the plasma side, it's usually goes from 50" to 54".

Not sure if toshiba manufacture their own panel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the marital advice guys

But I guess I'm curious if I'm the only one that even wants a 52" tv. Look at, say, Vizio's latest LCD lineup: 32", 37", 42", 47", and 55". Considering how quickly screen area grows at larger diagonals, the jump from 47 to 55 is huge -- 37% bigger by my math. Seems to my amateur mind like a huge missed market of folks who will go buy a 50" plasma because the LCD porridge is too hot or too cold.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsassone /forum/post/19504966

I appreciate the marital advice guys

But I guess I'm curious if I'm the only one that even wants a 52" tv. Look at, say, Vizio's latest LCD lineup: 32", 37", 42", 47", and 55". Considering how quickly screen area grows at larger diagonals, the jump from 47 to 55 is huge -- 37% bigger by my math. Seems to my amateur mind like a huge missed market of folks who will go buy a 50" plasma because the LCD porridge is too hot or too cold.

I do agree with what you are saying. I am shopping for a new Tv as well and while I own a 32" right now, I've tried a few 46". They are a great upgrade but I also tried a 50" plasma and liked the size. Unfortunately, plasma aren't made for me so I am back into shopping for an LCD and I preceated the 50" size but thing 55" is a huge step. 52" is a size I would prefer but there are limited number of TV with that size. if I want remote quality, I'm stuck with either the very expensive sony hx909 or Sharp's 920un. Or I go with my original plan and go with a 46" then I have a lot of option.

I agree that between 46" and 55" it's a huge step and there should be a size inbetween both for people on the fence like us.

·
Registered
819 Posts
You can't tell me a 55 is too big most likely it will take the same space up considering the frames of TVs are extremeley small compared to whist they used to be. It's all screen now.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've never understood this "too big" argument that you see being made in these forums more and more, especially during the last 2 years. We're not in the age of RPTVs with huge boxes. If it's larger, it's only larger in ONE PLANE, that is height and width, and it has no depth, so what difference does it make? I have never seen anybody ever regret or not appreciate getting the biggest LCD or Plasma they could afford. I mean do you complain that the movie theater screen is TOO BIG when you go to a theater? There is no too big on flat panels or the movie experience. Mount it on a wall. And actually, what I think is far uglier is seeing TVs that are too small on a wall with a whole bunch of wall around them. I mean what are you using all that wall for anyway that you couldn't get a larger TV and a better movie experience? This argument has no merit in the current environment.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 /forum/post/19505056

You can't tell me a 55 is too big most likely it will take the same space up considering the frames of TVs are extremeley small compared to whist they used to be. It's all screen now.

+1, todays 55" sets take up about as much space as yesterdays 52" sets. A nice looking 55" will have a higher WAF than an ugly 52", something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpak2005 /forum/post/19505770

i've never understood this "too big" argument that you see being made in these forums more and more, especially during the last 2 years. We're not in the age of rptvs with huge boxes. If it's larger, it's only larger in one plane, that is height and width, and it has no depth, so what difference does it make? I have never seen anybody ever regret or not appreciate getting the biggest lcd or plasma they could afford. I mean do you complain that the movie theater screen is too big when you go to a theater? There is no too big on flat panels or the movie experience. Mount it on a wall. And actually, what i think is far uglier is seeing tvs that are too small on a wall with a whole bunch of wall around them. I mean what are you using all that wall for anyway that you couldn't get a larger tv and a better movie experience? This argument has no merit in the current environment.

+1

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sony 52 NX800 on sonystyle.com

·
Registered
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-It-Yourself /forum/post/19504721

Tell your wife that size matters. The bigger the better.

On the long run, you both will appreciate it nonetheless.

are we still talking about tv's in this thread?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Sony has the 52" HX909/NX800, Sharp the 52" LE810/920/925UN/D78, and LG has the 52" LD550. I'm assuming they all use Sharp panels? Honestly, the size difference between 52" and 55" is not that much, and you'll have a lot more options at that size. Just tell your wife it's a 52" and she'll be none the wiser

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpak2005 /forum/post/19505770

I've never understood this "too big" argument that you see being made in these forums more and more, especially during the last 2 years. We're not in the age of RPTVs with huge boxes. If it's larger, it's only larger in ONE PLANE, that is height and width, and it has no depth, so what difference does it make? I have never seen anybody ever regret or not appreciate getting the biggest LCD or Plasma they could afford. I mean do you complain that the movie theater screen is TOO BIG when you go to a theater? There is no too big on flat panels or the movie experience. Mount it on a wall. And actually, what I think is far uglier is seeing TVs that are too small on a wall with a whole bunch of wall around them. I mean what are you using all that wall for anyway that you couldn't get a larger TV and a better movie experience? This argument has no merit in the current environment.

Actually, I just bought a new 46" Sony EX710 this week. I wanted the 55", but it measure exactly 3/8ths of an inch too wide for my entertainment center - and that was the closest to fitting 55" I could find. So yeah, it was *extremely* frustrating to find out that if I wanted something between a 46" and a 55", I would have to go with plasma (not a fan) or a lower quality lcd.

Not everyone has the perfect room for a home theater, and we could use more choices. 46" to 55" is a huge jump. Why should I have to consider changing my room or replacing my entertainment center?

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
I would check Sears for the Sony 52NX800. Discontinued, but should be great price for a TV that rated very well in professional testing.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/19509961

I would check Sears for the Sony 52NX800. Discontinued, but should be great price for a TV that rated very well in professional testing.

Can you point me to a great review? Everything I'm finding is showing uneven backlighting and not-so-great blacks. User reviews report a problem in the design of the plastic casing, where it creaks and pops with heat.

I would have jumped all over this set (it fits my entertainment center *perfectly*) if I could have found some very positive reviews. I still may (still in my return window) if someone can convince me it matches my EX710 quality.

·
Registered
370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauwolf /forum/post/19510391

Can you point me to a great review? Everything I'm finding is showing uneven backlighting and not-so-great blacks. User reviews report a problem in the design of the plastic casing, where it creaks and pops with heat.

I would have jumped all over this set (it fits my entertainment center *perfectly*) if I could have found some very positive reviews. I still may (still in my return window) if someone can convince me it matches my EX710 quality.

Cnet has a review, it rated very high in Consumer Reports as well but most people in here don't give much credence to that publication.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts