AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I last checked this seemed to be THE sub-$1500 projector to beat. Now I look at this site and there is not a single active thread on the AE200.

What happened? Have other, better sub-$1500 projectors come out since?

If so - what are they?

·
Registered
746 Posts
The Sanyo Z1 is a better projector for the same price, if you use HTPC with it. With me being HTPC-less, the AE200 remains my best choice. Most people have more money than I do, and thus will pass over the AE200 in favor of the HS-10 or AE300.

I'm very happy with my choice, and with over 300 hours, I'm glad I got off the fence.

I have a lot more experience with my projector now, and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have. I'm willing to bet that most owners out there are "Enjoying Movies on AE200" ;)

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Quote:
The Sanyo Z1 is a better projector for the same price, if you use HTPC with it.
HUH? I guarantee you the Z1 is better even if you don't use a HTPC. Why on earth would you think you need a HTPC with the sanyo to get a better picture than the ae200? Lets see:

Sanyo has higher res.

Sanyo has higehr contrast

Sanyo has pictures adjustment controls

Sanyo probably has better colour reproduction but I am not sure. It beats the AE100 in this area though.

Still have no clue why you think a HTPC is needed with Z1 to get a good picture and even more baffling is why you think a Z1 is only better than the ae200 when the Z1 is hooked up to a HTPC. The component connection on this thing is SOLID.

Come over and see my Z1 in action mated to the Panasonic RP91 via component and see if you still believe that.:)

Believe me, the AE200 is not your best choice for being HTPC-less for that price. The Z1 is. There should be NO debating that. Ae200 is still good though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I haven't seen the Z1, but I own the AE200. It was really down to these 2 (for my price range) for me before I got off the fence like Mike did.

Belial, you should be aware, and update yourself on the issues that the Z1 has been having as far as the fan noise inconsistencies and the "optical geometry" observations some Z1 owners (not all) have been noticing as far as the screen shape not being perfectly squared (this may have some additional light shed upon it by the updated review over at Projercentral).

I have had no problems with the AE200 (nor have I really read anyone with any - of course, maybe there aren't as many of us out there currently as Z1 owners...)

Please, before the inevitable responses come, I am not saying, "Get the AE200 over the Z1 because the Z1 has a bunch of problems!" Simply, I'd see what the deal is with these issues before committing to the PJ.

William

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for your responses! I guess I have to do some more research on both these projectors. Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wcwu
I haven't seen the Z1, but I own the AE200. It was really down to these 2 (for my price range) for me before I got off the fence like Mike did.

Belial, you should be aware, and update yourself on the issues that the Z1 has been having as far as the fan noise inconsistencies and the "optical geometry" observations some Z1 owners (not all) have been noticing as far as the screen shape not being perfectly squared (this may have some additional light shed upon it by the updated review over at Projercentral).

I have had no problems with the AE200 (nor have I really read anyone with any - of course, maybe there aren't as many of us out there currently as Z1 owners...)

Please, before the inevitable responses come, I am not saying, "Get the AE200 over the Z1 because the Z1 has a bunch of problems!" Simply, I'd see what the deal is with these issues before committing to the PJ.

William
There was one person here who mentioned something about geometry being off and his problem was because the projector was set up wrong. Only projector central has said something about it and we have NO IDEA what the problem is they saw. Whatever the case, it is not the design of the projector. As for the fan issue, I still feel it is a Japan model problem. Even then, it doesn't happen all the time and if you do have it happen, you can get the firmware updated.

I think people are jumping to conclusions regarding those issues. If the same thing happened back in the day, NOBODY would've bought the ae100 because people right off the bat had faulty units. Same thing with 95% of the projectors out there.

Having said all that though, I do agree that it won't hurt to wait and see if those random issues are more common than (I think) they are.

belial,

once agian, there is zero point in getting the ae200 with the z1 for the same price. The z1 is the flat out BETTER performer. Anyone who says otherwise has a seriously biased opinion, meaning they are ae200 owners who bought too soon and wish they waited.:)

Honestly, if anything, you should be looking at the ae300 vs the z1. That's the better comparison to the z1.

And please don't listen to this "you need a HTPC to make the z1 look better than the ae200" garbage. The z1 looks amazing with a prog scan player via component and it WILL look quite a bit better than the ae200. the higher resolution and the higher contrast PROVES this.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do you own a Z1 Rob? :)

William

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlindo
once agian, there is zero point in getting the ae200 with the z1 for the same price.
But they aren't the same price. They are $256 (18%) apart and that can buy you a new progressive DVD player (RP82) and some decent component cables. Or it makes for a nice rebate when buying your next projector.

With the technology changing so quickly, it's not a bad idea to save money at this point. You'll probably be upgrading in 2-3 years anyway.

Quote:
The z1 is the flat out BETTER performer.
Sure but it's not like the AE200 is a 4/10 and the Z1 is a 9/10 on the home-theatre scale. It's more like 7/10 and 7.3/10. The Z1 is going to be better to be sure, but it's not night & day. (And anyone buying their first PJ will be blown away by either.)

There is still a choice to be made for new buyers: do I spend the money to go to the next tier or save it because the technology is dropping in price so quickly. At the same time you want to be sure you'll enjoy what you have while you have it (but you can 'just a few dollars more' your way right up to a $5000 projector, if you like).

The current popular tiers (to recap):

PT-AE200 : 858x484, 700:1 CR, 700 Lumens, $1395

Sanyo Z1: 960x540, 800:1 CR, 800 Lumens, $1651

PT-AE300: 960x540, 800:1 CR, 800 Lumens, + DVI Input, + Smoothscreen technology (screen door minimization) $1922

One always has to spend increasing amounts of money to get the next batch of features. For any new buyer, comparing any of these to its neighbour is a good idea before making your buying decision.

In my case, I was originally only comparing the AE200 to the Z1, but recently I've actually been considering the AE300 (but it will probably outside my budget).

-Colin.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, since you can get the Sanyo for $1500, the difference in price is really quite low between the AE200 and Z1. Even the SE version is less than $1650. Really though, you get a 3 year warranty with the Z1 over the 1 year with AE200. Isn't that worth something too?

Jim

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think a direct purchase price comparison needs to account for the cost of ownership - and the Bulb is a big part of that. With prices like we're seeing, the Bulb can be almost 1/4 of the origional outlay.

To be fair, the comparision should be the AE200 (5000 hour lamp life) to a Z1 + 1.5 bulbs (2000 hour lamp life). For a first time budget based buyer, that's significant - even more so if you intend on multi-use (gaming, TV, etc..)

I own neither (I went the X1 route), but if that hadn't been an option, I'd have chosen the AE200 as a value PJ.

Kevin

·
Registered
111 Posts
I say go for the AE3000. Current dealers are offering the U.S. version of it for $1999.00 with a free RP-62 progressive DVD player (170.00 value), so that makes the AE3000 $1829.00! Just a little more than the Z1 and AE2000.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If there is a possible problem with the Japanese version of the Z1 and its fan, what is the price difference when buying in the U.S.? I mean how much more do you have to spend to buy in the U.S.?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Quote:
HUH? I guarantee you the Z1 is better even if you don't use a HTPC.
Sorry, I've been misinformed.

I've casually thought about selling my AE200 and getting a Z1 as a replacement. I'm not trashing on the Z1 in any means, I actually legitimately thought that the Z1 showed advantage only when fed with an HTPC (for pixel-perfect matching). Throw distance is also a concern for me considering I already have a screen and not much leeway for the projector.

Regardless of whether the Z1 is better or not, I've racked up over 300 hours on my AE200. On my budget (college student), the AE200 also wins out due to price, even if the difference is only $300 or so.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jhwu
Well, since you can get the Sanyo for $1500, the difference in price is really quite low between the AE200 and Z1.
Prices are relative. I got those all from the same source for that very reason. If you know someone that sells projectors at a tighter margin then they'll be happy to cut their margin on the AE200 (or whatever) as well. Meaning: there should always be an 18% difference between these projectors until the manufacturer changes their selling price to the retailers.

Quote:
Originally posted by jhwu
Really though, you get a 3 year warranty with the Z1 over the 1 year with AE200. Isn't that worth something too?
It's absolutely worth considering, but that's my point: all three (and others) are worth CONSIDERING. Some would have us believe that the Z1 is absolutely the best deal going and that no one should suggest otherwise. That's silly: it's a good deal, the AE200 is a good deal, the AE300 is a good deal, the HS10 is a good deal.

It's all a question of what's important to the individual and how much they want to invest to get it. It's not an absolute.

-Colin.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gtv
I say go for the AE300. Current dealers are offering the U.S. version of it for $1999.00 with a free RP-62 progressive DVD player...
I love it when a retailer charges you more for a product and then tells you they are throwing something in 'for free.' :)

It's a good deal as is, but once ample stock hits U.S. shores, I think you'll see the price drop lower than that. (Hurrah for competition!)

Too bad they aren't offering an RP-82 instead (I called and asked -- no substitutions; they bought a boat load of RP-62s).

I might jump at it if they were; This fence I'm sitting on is starting to get uncomortable! :)

-Colin.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe I should have been more specific from the begining.

I only want to use my projector for DVDs and Xbox gaming.

Should I still go for the Z1 over the AE200?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Belial:

Both projectors will work fine with both those sources. You aren't looking into HD stuff so you won't get the full benefit from going to the more expensive XGA/WXGA projectors; any of the WVGAs/SVGAs will do fine.

Now you just have to decide how much you want to spend.

The AE200 has more screen door than the Z1 which will have more screen door than the AE300 (and assorted other benefits that you get by going with each more expensive model).

It's probably a good idea to wait until mid-January, if you can. By then there will be ample stock of the AE200/300's in the U.S. and you can do a more realistic cost/benefit comparison.

Re: Price difference of the Z1 between the U.S. and Japan.

I believe the US version of the Z1 is now $100-150 cheaper than the Japanese version. Some retailers are taking pre-orders for the AE200/300, but at prices higher than the cost of the Japanese version. I would think that will come down quickly as more retailers get stock (most retailers aren't even taking orders, that I can tell).

-Colin.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by belial
If there is a possible problem with the Japanese version of the Z1 and its fan, what is the price difference when buying in the U.S.? I mean how much more do you have to spend to buy in the U.S.?
The Japanese version LP-Z1 is listed on PJ as $1651, I brought the US version PLV-Z1 from a authorized Sanyo dealer for $1450 (shipping included).

Why buy import from Japan ?? The US version comes with 3 years warranty and advanced replacement from Sanyo. I've own 2 other Sanyo and the after sales service from the factory is great.

Hope that answer your question, and let's get back to watching movies :)

MrWes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.