AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sony KDSA2000 DLP HDTV. Its 8 years old but still puts out a decent picture. Good enough for room where I am just watching casual TV.

Recently I started noticing that the picture looked quite green, despite having changed the bulb and recalibrating 3 months ago - what at that time everything was great. So something changed. I checked it with CalMAN yesterday and was surprised at the problem - basically there is practically no blue in the lower IREs. So for instance at 100%, 95%, 90% etc I have D65. But as I start going to say 75% blue starts dropping. By the time I am down to 40% or so there is no blue at all. R and G are at their targets but blue doesn't even show up in the chart! Needless to say I can see the terrible looking color on the test pattern windows as the IREs get lower.

The only way I could get enough blue at the low end like around 30% was to crank the blue bias control in the service menu way, way up - like 400 (when 128 is the default). At that point I can measure D65 at 30%, but the edges of the screen are blooming blue out like crazy - way out of wack.

I swapped my last bulb back in which was still good a few months ago (just getting a bit dim) and the TV behaved the same exactly way. I know for certain therefore it is not the bulb, and I know its not the meter readings because its clear as day from my own eyes that the calibration windows look awful from the lack of blue.

I posted in the KDSA2000 thread but didn't hear anything because the TV is so old no one is really following that thread anymore. I thought I'd run it by you guys because it could be a general DLP related issue. Any ideas of what else to try or what the problem internally may be (a bad panel?)? Its certainly not worth fixing and I'm happy to replace it - even excitedly so. BUT I really don't want to buy anything until the HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 support are in these things this fall. Therefore if I can find a temporary solution or at least something that improves on the issue to hold me over for another 6 months or so that would be great.

What do you guys think? Thanks!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Greetings,

This may not be of any help, but I noticed something similar on my Samsung HLS5086 that is also about 7 years old.

It is connected via component cables, and one of them came loose. Sometimes it is the simple things....

YMMV,

b.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
OP, Not sure if it helps, but Sony never made any DLP tv's. That may help you, because the lcd technology used should have dedicated blue 'circuitry'. And I believe the blue lcd panel is most prone to failure. That info may help you repair the set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts