AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I read good things about this stand alone sound bar, with internal subs.  Thing is, it just came out in late 2013 and it's already sold out and discontinued.  Anyone know what happened?  Panasonic says they just sold out and a new one is going to come out. Sounds like a PR line to me.  

·
Registered
2 Posts

I had the same question. I ordered one in December when they were on sale for $99 and my order was canceled by "Panasonic". It looks like this bar has been available for a couple years in Japan and my best guess is that Panasonic wanted to move out the last of them here in the U.S. I highly doubt a 'new' one is coming out because they didn't show anything off at CES 2014.

After my order was canceled I spoke to Panasonic's fulfillment company, Meridian Enterprises, that manages the U.S. website and online sales. (side note: Meridian is aweful when it comes to customer service, arrogant and apathetic) I was told that the item will not be back in stock and has been discontinued. It's a shame too because I bought an SC-HTB70 (no HDMI) from BestBuy to see if it compared and it was a huge disappointment. (sounded great but...) The 70 and the 170 are identical except that the 170 uses HDMI and the 70 uses optical. I couldn't stand using the tiny remote that came with the 70 and really wanted the 170 so I could use my Panasonic TV remote to control the volume of the bar. It doesn't make any sense that they would discontinue a superior product.

However, I think that Panasonic is having issues with it's "Viera Link" HDMI CEC programming because I purchased a DMP-BDT230 and the player only turns on and off with the TV remote about 50% of the time and none of the Play, Pause, etc. buttons on the TV remote work with the player. That is a total step back in terms of user experience. I have an old Samsung E5700 Blu-ray player that works with my Panasonic TV's remote.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's too bad. I finally got a Sony 660 and it works great with my Panny ZT. Would have been nice to keep it all Panny, but Oh well. Panny doesn't seem to care, so I won't.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts