AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I joined this board last fall, the LT150 was all the rage. Now the successor 150Z is out and there is no buzz about it. Why Not?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Don't look at me. I'm a new member and I'm surprised there's not more talk about it - LT150 is one of the nicest projectors I've seen (easily better than any of the cheap LCD's I've watched). Only think I didn't like about it was the fan noise. Beatiful picture though - I was watching a stock unit with an ?FL-Day? filter (not sure if that's the right name for it) and I didn't think it gave up very much in PQ to the Sharp 9000 I'd seen the week before. YMMV.

Mark

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Hayenga
Don't look at me. I'm a new member and I'm surprised there's not more talk about it - LT150 is one of the nicest projectors I've seen (easily better than any of the cheap LCD's I've watched). Only think I didn't like about it was the fan noise. Beatiful picture though - I was watching a stock unit with an ?FL-Day? filter (not sure if that's the right name for it) and I didn't think it gave up very much in PQ to the Sharp 9000 I'd seen the week before. YMMV.

Mark
is the AE100 one of the "cheap LCDs" you mention? i beg to differ that the z9000 is only slightly better.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nope, never seen an AE100, or any Panny for that matter. I have seen an SVGA LCD InFocus I borrowed from work, a Sharp 7000, and the Sony VW10/11HT. I thought the LT150 looked better than any of them (though the Sony's were very nice, I didn't care for the black level).

Mark

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've got a LT150z and I love it. I use a Hoya FL-D and the picture is great. Deep blacks and no screendoor!

I run in the econo mode so the noise isn't too bad. I tried a LT154 but the screendoor kept me from the "film" experience.

Before the LT150z I had a LT85 which was the same generation as the LT150. I had to tweek it a bunch to get a picture that I was happy with. On the LT150z I only adjust the brightness and contrast.

The LT150z is Awesome!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I think the typical street price of the "z" is slightly higher. Also, there was the Dell deal where a LOT of forum regulars got the thing for nearly $1700, so that's where a lot of the owner base here comes from from the original '150' model.

Another consideration is that the zoom optics in 'z' added a slight additional abberation to the picture making it a bit less desirable than the previous model in terms of picture quality. I think zoom makes it more usable for the presentation market, as the 150 models were not directly intended for home theater use.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I will let you know in a few days. Since I just PULLED THE TRIGGER on the Z!!!! Was going to go for the xb31, but to many bugs and not enough true evaluation on the unit. S-video and composite just don't cut it for a real HTPC test

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I have a LT150z as well, with HTPC, and use it in torch mode (non econo mode), with a Hoya FL Day filter...

The filter definetly makes the picture more natural. I also saw the LT150 and I don't find there is a great difference between the two (to me). Fan noise is OK for me, but I am in the process of getting a hushbox made (wood finish) from Whisperflow.

I bought from AVS for a veeery good price. Talk to Jason Turk and he will be able to give you some pricing. I simply love this PJ.

One thing I find amusing is that as soon as I bought it I could notice rainbows quite easily in native mode on movies as Gladiator... Now I use Powerstrip, so any time I fire up Zoom Player it changes the settings to 1080p... and voilá, I can hardly see rainbows...

By the way, I had friends around several times now... no one has seen rainbows or complained about headaches... so far so good!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I just think it's funny that the LT150 buzz lasted about a year. Now everyone's talking about the Panny - and I still don't see the charm compared to the LT150, except that it's cheap. In the meantime all us LT150(z) owners are enjoying the picture quality. Off to watch a movie now..later.. ;)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Got my 150z last November (as a result of this forum). Use it everyday, since it's our TV. Built a three-sided enclosure (side, bottom, back) that's more of a "hide-box" than a hush-box (SO factor - although she loves the fact that it doesn't take up any floor space). The SD picture is very watchable and the Hi Def is great. And the cost was reasonable (especially for an 84", in our case, TV). HNick

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I am a very happy owner of the original LT150 (bought for $2160 from Dell's 20% discount coupon code learned from this forum--thanks guys). Missed the $1700 blunder but I got my PJ in 1 week whereas the special LT150 took much longer due to backorder and running out of stock. Also bought a spare bulb for $300 (again thanks to this forum). Have about 250 hours on it now. No problems so far (knocking on wood--my head :D) besides a couple of dead mirrors (adjacent to each other--one stuck open and one stuck closed--in the far right edge of the DMD below the 16:9 viewing area--masked off by my Video Spectra Dalite Model B pull-down's 1" black side border). I reported it at 100 hours when it first developed (was not there intially) and NEC offered to fix it by replacing with refurb--I declined as it's not bothersome to me and refurb. may have worst problems--more hours, fan trouble, more dead mirrors, who knows. Once my PJ reaches 1000 hours I may reconsider it as refurb. gets me a new bulb :D The mirror that's stuck open is white and the closed one is black. The white one is noticeable 13 feet back if not masked off, but the black one is not even seen due to closeness to the black edge of image.

I have the Hoya HMC FL-D (fluorescent day) optical filter, clear color wheel segment mod--still intact 50 hours later as I just checked last night as I was worried that the heat and high RPM of wheel may degrade the paint, removed the fan grill (lessen high pitch air flow noise very, very slightly), cleaned the optics every 3 months with an air pump, and built a hushbox on floor for it with air filtration. Overall, I'm very happy with LT150's reliability, NEC cust. service, picture quality, noise level (with hushbox), brightness, contrast (800:1). I run my LT150 with HTPC or interlaced Daewoo 5700 by component using DIY breakout cabling (has A2Z but not used it due to VB50's female VGA requirement), VB50HRTV as scaler, JVC SVHS VCR for tuner and VHS, and analog cable (no HDTV yet :(). I would definitely buy it again even at the new $3K price to get the zoom convenience.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hiya. I also use the LT150 for my TV. Huey, do you find alot of dust on the optics? I haven't touched my unit since I set it up and I have 1500 hours on the lamp now. Should I be blowing it out every once in a while?

And has anyone else let their lamp go for this long? I have 2 spares waiting on the shelf, but this one still looks great and hate to ditch it while it still is working like a champ.

Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The reason why the furor over the LT150 died down is because we're all watching movies!

I bought my LT150 for $1700 during the infamous Dell deal. After I got my LT150 and HTPC tweaked, I pretty much stopped participating in the forum -- too many good DVDs out there.

I still think the LT150 tops any LCD projector I've seen. Full disclosure: I'm immune to rainbows and intolerant to screendoor (which, believe it or not, I can detect on a XGA DLP). I did see a Sharp 9000 at an AV store, driven by a high-end DVD player. The picture was noticeably inferior to my own setup, which uses a HTPC, Hipower screen, and black masking for the DLP halo. Probably a scaling issue. But my opinion is that anyone who pays extra $5k for the Sharp has too much $$$ and not enough time for researching the AVS forum!

My biggest gripes about the LT150 were fan noise and bulb life. Both gripes were resolved through NEC's instacare service. After 500 hours, the bearings in the LT150's fan began to screech. I called NEC and got a replacement. After another 500 hours, the fan bearings went bad again. This time NEC sent me a LT150z!!! (Every replacement unit came with a new lamp). The fan noise has been reduced significantly, and in economode, lamp life is now 1500 hours. (I'm always encouraged to hear that some of you have had luck going beyond the lamp's recommended life.) Also, the picture seems to have a bit more zip to it (can't explain why, maybe the added throw distance).

On my second LT150, I did notice dust blobs on the optics. But I got the LT150z replacement before having to tackle that problem.

I do not understand the furor over the AE100. Isn't anyone bothered by screendoor?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lurker #25

I do not understand the furor over the AE100. Isn't anyone bothered by screendoor?
I'm another very happy LT150 owner. I used to have a VT540 XGA LCD, so I can guess that the AE100 furor comes from, sitting in your bonus room, or den, or living room, and watching that amazingly big picture for the first time. You now have an honest to goodness home theater. And man would you look at that big picture! You're just grinning from ear to ear.

And then, after a week, or a month or two, you start to notice the flaws that you've read about here on AVS. Soon to follow is upgrade-fever. We'll start to see some posts shortly from ae100 owners wondering what the next step up would be.

For me screen door was there, but tolerable, at first. Because I was just wowed by the big picture. But it began to wear me down. And after I got the Dell deal on the LT150, and found that rainbows don't bother me (though I can see them), I didn't have to worry about screen door anymore.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Dust can be a problem as with any panel based PJ. LCD has 3 panels which triple the risks for dead pixels and dust blobs. DLP still has 1 panel so dead pixel and dust blob also can happen. To lessen dust you should put a filter over the air intake port of your LT150(z). I used 1/8" thin foam AC filter bought from Walmart ($0.99 a 8.5"X11" sheet), cut it to size to cover the entire air intake grill, and strap it on with rubber bands at the 2 ends. You can always add filters to your hushbox air intake.

If dust is there you can blow the dust away in the DMD chamber with compressed air. Best to use the dry kind as liquid-based air can cause liquid contaminant to gum up your optics, when can is shaken or tilted, which require more hairy cleaning with Qtips and camera lens cleaner (isopropyl alcohol based). I use a hand pump attached to a rubber hose with a concentrator tip to make the air stream more powerful. My wife pumps while I direct the hose. Works great and no worry of liquid contaminants. I still use the canned air on my exterior lens surface due to convenience (don't need the wife) but I would gum up my lens now and then (easy to wipe off with lens paper and cleaner).

You have to take LT150's top panel off by removing 5 screws (1 on rear, 1 on bottom, 2 on L, 1 on R) and disconnect the speaker plastic wire connector (leave the ribbon intact). Just prop the top vertically by sitting a pillow behind it. Then lift up that rectangular black plastic flap sitting on top of the brown box behind the lens. It may be glued down slightly so a tiny jewler's, slotted screwdriver or knife tip can help you lift this up. Once up, tape it back with some tape which expose the insides of the DMD chamber. DMD panel is straight back with mirrors all around. Blast away (some use a vacuum placed at the air intake grill to the right to help dust go that way and away from the optics). Once you're satisfied, replace everything as before and enjoy. While there you may want to paint that clear segment of the color wheel although you may need that white segment active for your old bulb (under 1/2 brightness of a new bulb at 1500 hours).

By the way, I think you're the first brave soul to push LT150's bulb to 1500 which would make sense as it's essentially the same bulb as LT150z with similar bulb life ratings of 1500 hours in economode (3v like LT150's while 150z regular mode is 5v for higher brightness but shorter life bulb at 1000 hours). I would not push it further though as you're chancing an exploded bulb with glass fragments which may damage your PJ (less likely due to screen protection around bulb and hard dichroic glass and focusing lens shielding the optical chamber from bulb--you never know though). Plus your brightness benefit would warrant a bulb change.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Lurker #25
Screendoor may be annoying but at least it doesn't give me eyestrain or headaches.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just replaced my bulb in my LT150 at 1488 hours. While it was open, I gave it a good cleaning, which I will do more often considering the amount of dust that was caked around the mesh on the lamp. I also did the color wheel mod, blacking the clear section out with Testors silver gloss paint. Put it back together with a new lamp, and she looks like a new projector!!

Piece of cake too, only took about 10 minutes...

Thanks Huey!

·
Registered
81 Posts
So, erdc, do you have your "z" yet? Waddaya think? Inquiring minds want to know!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.