AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning to sell my projector for much needed cash but I see the prices have plummeted. A year and a half ago 12xx projectors were going out on Ebay for $2800 and up. $2200 was low and I thought I was getting a steal when I got mine for $1700 with brand new tubes. Now $1700 seems to be the ceiling for 7" Sony's. Even good ones seem to be going out for under $1300. I am not sure what happened and I am not sure if I should be happy or sad about it. I was just wondering if LCDs have made strides or what has lead to this. Maybe its just the economy.:confused:

I felt like a bonehead when I suggested I wanted something over $2000 to one of the members eager for a projector. They didn't comment but I visited the classifieds here and was surprised to see even better projectors than mine going for that and less.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
Hey,

I think it's the economy. Also, the 1031's are selling for under $500 now and many have good tubes. They are not as nice as the 127x series, but the price is quite nice and sometimes I wonder why I didn't go that route.

I doubt it's due to digital projector popularity but then again who knows. These days whenever I get a Dell catalog in the mail I check out the prices of the digital projectors and I bet they are getting more and more popular.

I still think I got a good deal on my 1271 that I paid $1250 for. It was kind of steep but I didn't have to pay tax or shipping and it works.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
The market correction; startups running out of money because they had no viable business idea and/or grew too fast; more etablished companies that grew to accomodate the shared hallucination having lay-offs; people not affected deciding they'd rather have a few thousand extra in the bank than new toys; more market saturation (if Curt rebuilt al the used projectors there'd probably be more than you could find homes for).

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
What surprised me was a 9500LC from a good seller and rephosphured tubes going for $8,500 in the AVS classified. I thought they were supposed to be twice that.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've been trying to sell my Electrohome ECP Graphics now for 16 MONTHS now with narely a nibble. It has 7" Sony CRTs and is in working order. Heck I'd take $400 for it right about now, comes with full service manual.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yeah :) I sold a 1271Q about a month ago. The seller was very happy. Great projector for a bargin price! I look at it this way I paid $2100 for my 1272Q about two years ago, and with all the fun and movies I have had with it, I don't really mind it losing value. It could be everyone that wants a CRT projector, like really wants one, already has at least one. The digital prices are real low too, so who knows. Although I watched a horror movie the other night, Session 9, and the black levels a CRT projector recreate are truly scary...I was going for the little orange pic mute button on the remote more than once. :)

-Audiophil

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Hi Guys,

The only reason the prices are so low is because we sell so low. If you want the prices to go up stop selling them all together for a few years OR just before digital has something acceptable in the price range.

Most electronic devices will sell for 10-20% on the dollar after a few years except the real good products (tube audio) if history repeats its self we will be sitting here wishing we didnt sell these, (tube video) just a thought. Doug

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These projectors are a bargain at any price really. I spent a couple thousand and if I paid three thousand I feel I got my money's worth. Honestly I thought I was going to have to be a rich man to own one and if I had the resources I planned to pay 10 grand like other people do.

Owning one was a fantasy of mine for eight years and unlike other things I have owned, the reality lives up to the fantasy. I have a theater in my home and its really really great! ... Well I have one for now 'til it sells. But looks like I will be able to afford one again when I get back to work.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I think the picture of Curts livingroom sent the market into shock. But then, that's only a theory. Now if someone could figure out how to repair the GP3000 powersupply, the price on those would instantly go back up.

There just HAS to be some way....

Marc

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
To fix the GP power supply you need to find something common that had that proprietory IC in it. I know this sounds blatantly obvious, but there must be some electronic device out there to use the same IC, I would find it really unusual that an IC would be manufactured from scratch for only one application. You need to find the individual with the information about the IC. Probably a wild goose chase.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I have been watching PJ prices now for only 6 months and I notice a definite drop off even since christmass time. Could it be a seasonal fluctuation? I have not been involved long enough to know.

I think the earlyier post of these PJs being easily worth far more than we are paying is right on. It was always a dream for me to own one as well. Now the dream is reality.

The fact that a 100" or bigger diag screen can be had via used CRT for less than the cost of a new 65" HDRPTV just blows me away. Don't even mention the fact that the I/P flexibility and pic quality is better than the TVs.

Folks these are great times for home theater and one has to wonder how long it can last before the bottom falls out and HD CRT prices skyrocket in the same manner as tube audio.

My 2 Cents

Steve

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Doug is spot on here, folks. One of the reasons these PJ's have been getting so cheap is that there's been a lot of "fire-saleing" going on. People tend to want to sell quick, so they go to where they know buyers are, but unfortunately these same buyers are also fairly educated as well. If you take the time to advertise and sell it locally, along with a little help to the newbie buyer, you'll get far more money for it. These "ignorant" buyers are used to seeing PJ's in the stores going for several thousand dollars, and when they come and see yours and be blown away by how much better it looks than the ones in the stores, and that it can be had for half or less than half the price of a new PJ, it becomes much easier to get the big bucks. Basically, if you want more money, you're gonna have to work for it...

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I've been thinking about the point that Doug and Steve are making.

I think it is very possible that the analogy to tube vs solid state audio may prove to be a valid one. I don't think we'll see an affordable (emphasis on affordable) solid state imaging video projector that will compete in PQ with our CRT's for quite a while off into the future. And, before that, CRT projector production will probably have ceased all together. At that point our beloved projectors could begin to experience the "McIntosh Syndrome".

On the other hand that may be where the analogy stops. Because the demand for home theater projectors probably will never become anything like the demand for high quality listening devices. We HT enthusiasts are a dedicated but relatively small group. Today anyway. ;)

Bob Wood

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Mike

Agreed. That very thing happened to me when I sold my first PJ. The buyer (I would not call him ignorant) had seen a Plus piano DLP and my BG800. Guess what? The Plus was almost twice the cash and he noticed the quality of the Barco immediately. The buyer must see the PJ in action if you want to sell unless you have a solid rep like say Curt.

For a buyer to take the plunge on e-bay with limited knowlege is what I will term as "ignorant." A smarter individual will pay a little more to see the PJ and get some support or as I stated earlier buy from a guy like Curt or Tim etc. I feel the very best deals are high risk but then so are the biggest rip offs. Most people are better off spending a little more, getting a good deal instead of a steal and resting easy that there investment is not going down the tubes.

You will notice that the good sellers keep the prices fairly stable and the give aways are usually 1 time or low feedback e-bayers. If you are brave and have the cash then take a chance. OR NOT.

Steve

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I agree with everything you said, Steve, but I wanted to clarify that when I used the term "ignorant" I meant that literally - not as most people use the word, which they correlate with a degree of stupidity. Ignorance has nothing to do with stupidity or inability to learn or be aware, etc; it only applies to sitations in which an individual is not knowledgeable of something, or "unaware". In this case, the ignorance is of the fact that steals are to be had in the CRT world if you know where to go. Most folks think that to get a new TV or home theater, you must go to circuit city, best buy, et al, because they've been conditioned that that's all that's out there through TV ads and such. Therefore their exposure to the world of FPTV is limited to what they see there, hence "ignorance".

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Mike and Doug are absolutely right. It's the low end CRT's that are being dumped driving the prices down. Heck I'm buying.

Good 8" and 9" are holding their value pretty good. And I predict they will especially go up in price in the next few years as they get scarcer and harder to find.

Terry

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Terry,

If that is true how do you explain a reputable seller, selling three 9500 lc, retubed for $8,500 each in the AVS classifieds and e-bay. Since that is one of the 2 best projectors on the market, it seems that everything else needs to be substantially under that price point.

Of course their will be people that do not visit the forum or shop around. They will compare prices to new projectors and therefore will pay a premium.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Scott,

Of course I cannot explain why that "dealer" is selling a 9501 for the price he is with VDC rebuilds. If I were going to guess, I would say that the units are very high hr jobs. Perhaps they were the mystery bidders who won the 9501's that were auctioned about a month ago up in Ohio by the government. They are the exception and not the rule.

There is someone else selling a 9501 out of FL. 35K hrs on the chassis, came from a corporate install and when I spoke with him it was $8500 w/ VDC's and $12000 with new ECP CRT's.

I just don't think you are getting the same projector with the VDC. Although VDC does a very good job on the 180dvb22 CRT's that are in your projector, they are 90-95% there on the MEC CRT's that are in the 9501. That explains the difference in price.

I still stand by the philosophy that high end 8" and high end 9"ers will go up in value. It's simple supply side economics. As demand increases (and it is as more and more folks see the advantage to buying used as well as folks who started off with a 7"er and want to upgrade) and the units become more scarce, price will increase. Basically they ain't making them anymore.

But if you don't agree with me and are dumping any 135's, G-70, 8501's, G-90's, 1209's or 9501's.....I'm buying.

Terry

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
From what I saw at the local auctions and on line auctions. The Sonys are being dumped on the market by the local universities and businesses and HT lovers moving up. I thinks the Sony's outsold all the other PJ's when they were new and this would explain all the Sony's out there on the used market now.

I would love to know when this source (universities and businesses) of PJ's is going to dry up. As I thinks this will be the end of $500.00 PJ's. And I would be rich selling them for four times what they cost me.

Deron

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.