AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,

I remember Panasonic used to make these digital amps that were slim and not that deep, but are seemingly not available anymore. All the big electronics manufacturers (LG, Sony, JVC, Panasonic, etc.) make these HTIB sets with the little digital amps, but they are not receivers. They basically decode digital audio from their built in DVD players and thats it (can't connect a sat box or game console). Also they dont have speaker posts in back they only have these proprietary connections.

I did run across the JVC TH-L1 which is just about perfect (I dont need the included speakers) except it doesn't use regular binding posts (uses the pin connections) and doesn't upconvert, but the upconversion is not useful for me so thats ok.

Also I saw a nice NAD L73 that is a smallish amp with a built in DVD player, but I think once I add my cables to the back it may be too deep.

Really the best thing I found was the Parasound Z amp which is the perfect size.

But now I run into the issue of video switching and sound decoding.

I can't use a regular pre-amp because they are too deep again. If I just buy a plain video switcher, what do I do about routing and decoding the audio. (seems like getting a $30 switcher like the startech converge would just route stereo rca cables to the amp. This does nothing for center channel duty nor sub duty but is a cheepie way to get sound)

What I need is a receiver without the amp, or just a nice small receiver.

I am only running 2 channel and a sub.

Seth

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
wow,

relegated to page 3 in only a couple of hours.

I think I may be out of luck. There simply aren't any more bookcase friendly receivers.

I just may have to go with the component switcher and a standalone stereo amp.

I hope the stereo outs from my dvd and stb have as good a signal/sound as the digital outs that are processed by my receiver.

Seth

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas /forum/post/15478487

wow,

relegated to page 3 in only a couple of hours.

I think I may be out of luck. There simply aren't any more bookcase friendly receivers.

Seth

That's because no one here wants to talk to someone that is selling their towers, subs and amps!

Why can't the kids just learn to stay away form it? Just like the Oven or stove?

Seriously, Radio Shack used to have what you are looking for, don't know if they still do, but maybe used. People forget about them. I've never had a bad Radio Shack product.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by altpensacola /forum/post/15484506

That's because no one here wants to talk to someone that is selling their towers, subs and amps!

Why can't the kids just learn to stay away form it? Just like the Oven or stove?

Seriously, Radio Shack used to have what you are looking for, don't know if they still do, but maybe used. People forget about them. I've never had a bad Radio Shack product.

Ok,

I removed any mention in the first post me selling my equipment. (I'm not eliminating the setup altogether, just replacing the hazard with an equivalent that isn't a hazard). An oven or stove doesn't have the risk of falling on a child learning to crawl/cruise/walk that a tower speaker placed in its correct position (i.e. in the room) does. Same issue with cables that are on the floor.

I checked radio-shack and they sell that startech converge component switch. However that is not a receiver/decoder, it just routs component video and stereo audio. As I mentioned in my first post, I certainly can use that with a parasound amp, however, it is not as simple, nor graceful as a regular receiver that is 10" deep (height is not an issue). Which is what I am really looking for.

Thanks,

Seth

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So,

I saw something wierd.

I was in Best Buy/Magnolia last night looking for a phone (didn't get anything) and while in the Magnolia saw all the amps and they are the typical 7" high by 2 feet deep (same size as what I have now). I strolled through the HTIB section and they are just glorified dvd players but do no audio switching duty, and I was turned off by the concept of just getting one of those and using the Tyler Acoustics speakers I have at home.

But then in the receiver section for the cheaper Yamaha / Sony stuff I noticed that the amps were the regular 7" high but only 10" deep. This is perfect.

However, I do not want to go from a Marantz sr-8400 amp to a $200 retail box. I'm looking to stay in the Marantz/Rotel/Parasound neighborhood but I need the dimensions.

It looks like some manufacturers are wising up and designing components to fit in a regular shelf that holds a STB or DVD or game console. Are any of the higher end brands with their higher end products following suit?

Because then I can wait for the right product without compromising.

Seth

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok,

So I did a little digging, and it seems that there are very few.

The goal here was for a 10-11" depth (standard depth is usually 17-18")

Denon has none.

Marantz has none.

Rotel has none. (although they have a 13" processor that I can mix with a small amp)

NAD has the N73 with and without the built in DVD player that is 13"

Parasound has none.

Integra has one that is 13"

Onkyo has none.

Cambridge Audio has one that is 13" deep.

Yamaha's HTR and RX come in at 12"

Harmon Kardon has none.

Sony has one that is 12"

Pioneer's non elite come in at 13"

Sherwood Newcastle, and regular Sherwood have 13" models

Kenwood?

Technics?

Teac has 13" models had 10" models

Outlaw Audio has none.

Arcam has products in the 13" range. The 'solo' line seems to be a prime contender.

Anthem has none.

Emotiva has none.

The problem is cables. No matter what you need breathing room behind the box for cables. Typically 4" unless you have 90-deg adapters on the end.

This leaves out the JVC, Sharp, Samsung, LG, etc. HTIB mini-receivers which are not receivers at all, just amped up DVD players.

This also leaves out the standalone amps which need video and sound processing (the cost makes this a poor choice because the processor can cost as much or more than an AVR and you'd still need the space for the amps and second set of cables).

Am I (and anyone who has standard furniture, not 24" deep audio furniture) out of luck?

Seth

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
B&K has none.

Aragon?

Mondial?

Acurus?

Krell has none.

Lexicon has none.

Meridian has none (nice mini-systems though)

Thule?

Sunfire has none.

Looks like I may have to try a 12-13" model and see what I can do about the wiring. I only have 16" of depth from the back wall to the edge of the shelf.

Seth

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas /forum/post/15526842

The goal here was for a 10-11" depth (standard depth is usually 17-18")

Ok, assuming DEPTH is your ONLY CRITERIA:

Bose Lifestyle V10 Home Theater System

7.5" deep.

(seems to be the same form factor for the V20 and V30, excluding subwoofer).

Tah Dah!

Let the flamewars begin.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

Depth is my only criteria for size.

I do need it to be sound comparable to my Marantz (and able to drive my speakers).

I also need it to be able to handle 2 component inputs, 2 digital audio inputs, and have a sub out.

But otherwise thats it.

Thanks,

Seth

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know this is an older thread, but there is an update.

So I got 'real' measurements of the NAD, and while the manfacturer states 13", it is really 15.5 if you include the knobs in front and binding posts in rear.

So, I have to assume that every manufacturer has some sort of error in their specs, and that means I'm down to a 12" depth.

Here's the dilemma, as stated earlier I'm coming from a Marantz Sr8400 which is a flagship machine that still hasn't been bested by its replacements (electronic wizardry doesn't count, its the sound if just running plain stereo). How can I go to a small amp that sits at the bottom of the pile in terms of audio? Is there no choice?

I do not have any issue with used or discontinued equipment.

As an aside, since this isn't a money issue because the products dont seem to exist, should I just go for the parasound z amp since its arguably going to have the best sound given my space constraints, and just get a cheepie AVR for processing duties that will fit (because the amp in the cheepie avr isn't worth plugging into)? A standalone processor doesn't fit.

Seth

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So,

To wrap up the story - it's over. I ended up contacting people on audiogon and ebay and craigslist to measure their amps since the manufacturer specs are inaccurate, and the smallest one that fit 'won'.

The Cambridge Audio Azur 540R came in at just under 14" end to end (the arcam solo was a very close second, sherwood has a digi amp, the 903 but that used pin connectors for the speakers and was out of the running). This depth will fit my speaker wires and audio cables (coax and optical) correctly but not my component video cables as the canare connector itself is loger than 3" not counting the cable itself.

Some 90 degree connectors fix this allowing it to fit in the space.

Seth

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am in the same boat. Looking for a shallow depth (shelf is 10" deep) receiver that has two HDMI inputs. It only needs to be stereo. Any thoughts?

Chris G

·
Registered
29,193 Posts
Why would there be a two channel stereo receiver with HDMI inputs? Kinda defeats the purpose of being an A/V receiver if its only two channels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would aggree but we have a 42" flat panel on the wall of a kitchen with an HDMI in the wall pre-drywall going to a shelf with a cable box and a DVD player. We also have a pair of in ceiling speakers that we want the TV sound to come out of.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts