AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
iI you bring back the VIdeo Filter again i would be interested, but would probably prefer the old type made up till last year/this year.as i only use Panasonics anyway.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ahh thats good, i got 2 of those but they are not here with me, need to get my USA friend to forward them onto me. The only thing is do the MCM filters handle PAL? can you test that? I actually cant remember but this tape i got from Brazil or Argentina so i am pretty sure its PAL? The subs are really rough/faint and i was thinking using a TBC would totally wipe them out.There are sometimes when a basic filter can be more handy than a TBC.

might try one of thsse for PAL
http://www.nightlight.co.uk/products1.htm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HQ-Copy-Decoder-Scart/dp/B000FDAKY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356267442&sr=8-1

·
Registered
455 Posts
Heres an interesting site
http://www.im-uk.net/dvd/products.html
http://www.im-uk.net/dvd/products/macmaster2.html

and the history
http://www.im-uk.net/dvd/about.html

manuals here
http://macromaster.co.uk/dvd/downloads/MacroMaster%20manuals/

Been trying to sort my way through the waffle and the many different versions. I actually emailed them to see if i can get some straight up answers. I can not stand the 'this is the worlds best copy remover' type statements

I guess another PAL option is the Cypress CCR9 which i reckon is what the Sima CT-2 was
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CYP-REPLICA-2-CCR9-MULTISYSTEM-VIDEO-CONVERTOR-STABILISER-/181008997806?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item2a24fa1dae

http://www.cypconverters.com.au/video-processors/ccr-9.html

Grex?

Copiall?

Then theres this unknown bunch of cheapies
http://www.qualitekindustries.com/noname.html

I dont know how these handle CC though.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Excited about getting a couple of new The Video Filters!

What is the ETA on production?

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic Design  /t/1426501/what-happened-to-the-video-filter/0_100#post_22990916

Video Filters will be available again in about 10 days. If you are interested, send me a PM.

Thanks greatly for this!

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
The Video Filter still available?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yes, it is available.

Please write me a PM and I will provide details.

PM sent -

if anyone has a video filter they're interested in selling, PM me

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
If Logic Design doesn't get back to you, or he no longer sells the VF, I've found the Grex filter(got mine on Amazon) is pretty decent. It doesn't have the options of the VF(like forcing the WS bit) or possibly the ability to use it with component(it many but I've never tried it) and it does ever so slightly elevate the black level, but I consider mine money well spent and it works better than 3 out of 4 of my old Sima CT-2s.

·
Registered
262 Posts
thanks but as others have mentioned, i've seen quite a mixed reviewed on the GREX - think i'd spring for the AVT-8710 TBC first, i know it's considerably more but..

posted this in another thread, after following a link wajo had put up, re HDFury's newslink.

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo
HDfury News 2/1/12

Noticed an interesting note at the bottom of the HDfury page you linked - they're still pissing and moaning about getting stepped on by the hdcp consortium, but the part that interests me is they're pointing out the procedure to kill HDCP on a samsung DVD player

Who wants more?
Now if that is not enough to convince you, let us tell you that ALL manufacturers, the very same that are also part of the HDCP consortium, included escape trick in their sources devices. Some would need firmware upgrade, some would need special service disk, some would just need remote control sequence.
As an example for a Samsung HD850, the HDCP free mode can be reached as follow:
1. Power “ON” – “no disk” showing on display
2. Press “Angle” on the Samsung remote
3. Press “4 3 2 7″
4. Press “Angle” again – OSD will show “HDCP Free” confirming the changes.

wonder if the same feature or capability exists on other DVD players and if so, the procedure must be listed in the unit service manual - anyone have a service manual for any dvd player?

is this old news?

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
I really doubt it would work, AFAIK only a very few DVD players, mostly cheap Chinese knock offs, could be hacked to be MV free. Apex was one I know for sure but like the few DVDRs with component inputs like Polaroid(which again generally didn't have CP) they were so poor of a quality that you'd be better off using a quality DVDR with S-video inputs and a filter. I know the Apex I had more than a decade ago(not a model that could be hacked) had rather poor video quality. I also believe Apex was shut down for allowing this backdoor feature so I doubt very many other mfgs. would do such a thing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apex_Digital (read second paragraph in link)
I think I may just have that Samsung 850 DVD player mentioned in your link, I'm a little leary of trying those keystrokes though, I wouldn't want to tank it if it actually did something different than was described. If it's the DVD player I'm thinking about it's a decent quality player, I just prefer the feature set of my Sonys which is kind of my bread and butter players, and ain't NO! way Sonys going to offer such a setting :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
well i just ordered one off amazon $47 shipped
we'll see - sure would make it easier to archive some dvds without moving filter(s) around

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
thanks but as others have mentioned, i've seen quite a mixed reviewed on the GREX -
The GREX is about as good as it gets short of the Logic Design. The LD is superb and versatile, but you pay more for superb and versatile. If you need utterly clean output, full component/HiDef compatibility, and 16:9 flag setting, the Logic Design is the better option.

If you plan on using a typical DVD recorder with the filtered signal, the Logic Design unit is overkill for most people (unless your budget permits overkill, of course- nothing wrong with buying the best). The Grex may "taint" the picture slightly, and requires a workaround when used with component HDTV recorders, but most standard-def devices will work just fine with it.

think i'd spring for the AVT-8710 TBC first, i know it's considerably more but...
Quality control of the AVT-8710 went into the toilet some time ago, so the price is hard to justify now. Most buyers complain it has much worse image contamination than a Grex, and many new AVT-8710s don't even meet the spec required to call them TBCs anymore. In this price range, the Logic Design is a better unit by far. And the Grex is half the price of an 8710 with triple the reliability.

Video geeks have been arguing over how to identify a "good" 8710 for the past couple years, but I have yet to see a consistent theory aside from "get the oldest one you can find". Not much help since they all look alike. Another popular suggestion is to look for one in a green colored case, as those are supposedly better made, but I have seen terrible buyer reviews from people who bought the green ones at B&H. YMMV. If you opt for an AVT-8710, be sure to get a return guarantee and test it exhaustively.

Re using a DVD player with hidden MV defeat features: this does not always help if you are trying to dub to a DVD recorder or PC capture device. The MV kill switch only kills the analog MV signal, which primarily helps VCRs and older TVs. Commercial DVDs have an extra CGMS-A protection scheme piggybacked with MV, which is not necessarily disabled by the MV kill switch. In any case, it rarely makes sense to copy DVDs in this manner when software can do it perfectly in your PC.

Variations of the CGMS-A idea are used in cable and satellite transmissions: most people today looking for the Grex and Video Filter devices need them for those recording tasks.

Your example of the Samsung with its secret HDMI settings is fairly unique among players: I have not heard of any players that allow HDMI alterations, even unintentionally. The most common method of filtering HDMI involves buying an inexpensive switch or splitter, usually from some generic brand on eBay or Amazon, and connecting it between source and recording device. Lots of discussions cover this on various forums, the brands and models change constantly.

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
thanks but as others have mentioned, i've seen quite a mixed reviewed on the GREX - think i'd spring for the AVT-8710 TBC first, i know it's considerably more but..

posted this in another thread, after following a link wajo had put up, re HDFury's newslink.

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo
HDfury News 2/1/12

Noticed an interesting note at the bottom of the HDfury page you linked - they're still pissing and moaning about getting stepped on by the hdcp consortium, but the part that interests me is they're pointing out the procedure to kill HDCP on a samsung DVD player

Who wants more?
Now if that is not enough to convince you, let us tell you that ALL manufacturers, the very same that are also part of the HDCP consortium, included escape trick in their sources devices. Some would need firmware upgrade, some would need special service disk, some would just need remote control sequence.
As an example for a Samsung HD850, the HDCP free mode can be reached as follow:
1. Power “ON” – “no disk” showing on display
2. Press “Angle” on the Samsung remote
3. Press “4 3 2 7″
4. Press “Angle” again – OSD will show “HDCP Free” confirming the changes.

wonder if the same feature or capability exists on other DVD players and if so, the procedure must be listed in the unit service manual - anyone have a service manual for any dvd player?

is this old news?
I do own that DVD player, what do you think CB, do you think there would be any risk of trying those keystrokes? It's not my favorite DVD player but I'd hate to brick it if you think those codes may harm something.....Oh and did you say it was only for removing HDCP from HDMI output, I wouldn't care about that, I'd want to remove MV from the analog(composite or S-video) outputs, if it doesn't do this I'd have no interest in trying it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The GREX is about as good as it gets short of the Logic Design. The LD is superb and versatile, but you pay more for superb and versatile. If you need utterly clean output, full component/HiDef compatibility, and 16:9 flag setting, the Logic Design is the better option.

If you plan on using a typical DVD recorder with the filtered signal, the Logic Design unit is overkill for most people (unless your budget permits overkill, of course- nothing wrong with buying the best). The Grex may "taint" the picture slightly, and requires a workaround when used with component HDTV recorders, but most standard-def devices will work just fine with it.

Quality control of the AVT-8710 went into the toilet some time ago, so the price is hard to justify now. Most buyers complain it has much worse image contamination than a Grex, and many new AVT-8710s don't even meet the spec required to call them TBCs anymore. In this price range, the Logic Design is a better unit by far. And the Grex is half the price of an 8710 with triple the reliability.

Video geeks have been arguing over how to identify a "good" 8710 for the past couple years, but I have yet to see a consistent theory aside from "get the oldest one you can find". Not much help since they all look alike. Another popular suggestion is to look for one in a green colored case, as those are supposedly better made, but I have seen terrible buyer reviews from people who bought the green ones at B&H. YMMV. If you opt for an AVT-8710, be sure to get a return guarantee and test it exhaustively.

Re using a DVD player with hidden MV defeat features: this does not always help if you are trying to dub to a DVD recorder or PC capture device. The MV kill switch only kills the analog MV signal, which primarily helps VCRs and older TVs. Commercial DVDs have an extra CGMS-A protection scheme piggybacked with MV, which is not necessarily disabled by the MV kill switch. In any case, it rarely makes sense to copy DVDs in this manner when software can do it perfectly in your PC.

Variations of the CGMS-A idea are used in cable and satellite transmissions: most people today looking for the Grex and Video Filter devices need them for those recording tasks.

Your example of the Samsung with its secret HDMI settings is fairly unique among players: I have not heard of any players that allow HDMI alterations, even unintentionally. The most common method of filtering HDMI involves buying an inexpensive switch or splitter, usually from some generic brand on eBay or Amazon, and connecting it between source and recording device. Lots of discussions cover this on various forums, the brands and models change constantly.
If you are still interested in the Video Filter, visit http://www.videofilter.net
They are available.

21 - 40 of 148 Posts