AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
jjeff had commented earlier that sony is notorious in overkill in the way of CP protection.
While I have many Sony products(BD player, AVR, Streaming player, MANY DVD players, etc.) I don't like how Sony products seem to take CP to another level :( and this is coming from the company that started it all, the Betamax. Back then Sony actually fought for peoples right to record what they wanted, now that Sonys big money comes from it's programming arm they've done a 180 degree turn and tend to insert blocks, even when they wouldn't need to :mad:
Unlike HDMI, analog composite has no way of knowing if your recording or just playing it to a TV, it is possible that if you select the composite output of your Sony BDP that it assumes you are copying and inserts the CP, if this is the case you might want to just watch your BDP using the HDMI output and record from the analog output, assuming the Sony doesn't disable the composite output when using HDMI.....
It will be interesting to hear what the VF seller has to say, I guess if the Sony BD player is the problem then you might want to consider something like a Roku or what I have, a WD Live media player which works great, although truthfully I haven't tried recording from it but it does have a composite output.

·
Registered
262 Posts
While I have many Sony products(BD player, AVR, Streaming player, MANY DVD players, etc.) I don't like how Sony products seem to take CP to another level :( and this is coming from the company that started it all, the Betamax. Back then Sony actually fought for peoples right to record what they wanted, now that Sonys big money comes from it's programming arm they've done a 180 degree turn and tend to insert blocks, even when they wouldn't need to :mad:
Unlike HDMI, analog composite has no way of knowing if your recording or just playing it to a TV, it is possible that if you select the composite output of your Sony BDP that it assumes you are copying and inserts the CP, if this is the case you might want to just watch your BDP using the HDMI output and record from the analog output, assuming the Sony doesn't disable the composite output when using HDMI.....
It will be interesting to hear what the VF seller has to say, I guess if the Sony BD player is the problem then you might want to consider something like a Roku or what I have, a WD Live media player which works great, although truthfully I haven't tried recording from it but it does have a composite output.
Tried that first (i'd forgotten to change the output selection) and it would flash a msg that "content couldn't be viewed - to try the HDMI connection" - then when i changed selection to "video" which is the RCA composite output (from the picturegram below the selection), that's when i'd get the CP msg. And i tried it both with the hdmi connected and with it disconnected - made no difference

·
Registered
112 Posts
Tried that first (i'd forgotten to change the output selection) and it would flash a msg that "content couldn't be viewed - to try the HDMI connection" - then when i changed selection to "video" which is the RCA composite output (from the picturegram below the selection), that's when i'd get the CP msg. And i tried it both with the hdmi connected and with it disconnected - made no difference
I have a Sony BDP-N460 and I am able to record streaming Amazon content to my DMR-EH75V with the video filter, but not without it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
i tried it again last nite to make sure i hadn't forgotten anything or mis-connected it - and got the same result. Oddly enough, i had a N460 and sold it on ebay after i got the S580.

Ordered a refurb'd Roku 2 XS from newegg last night and hoping that'll put this issue to sleep.

PS: For the hey of it i tried again this morning and noticed that i only get the "Copy protected signal detected. Cannot record" msg when i try to manually record it. If i set up a timer schedule recording to record a netflix program (Orange is the New Black), it never starts the recording without showing the CP warning msg - i'm certain sony has added an additional CP signal to the output on the composite output.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Ordered a refurb'd Roku 2 XS from newegg last night and hoping that'll put this issue to sleep.
Good choice. The Roku2 isn't as powerful as the Roku3 but the XS more than makes up for that with the connectivity options. The Roku2 XS is the only model that includes wired and wireless network with both HDMI and composite outputs.
I use the HDMI and composite video outputs on mine. When the HDMI port is active the composite video output gets shut off. You can leave the composite cable connected all the time but be sure to unplug the HDMI cable when using the composite output.

·
Registered
262 Posts
thanks for the tip - i know i'd have spent 30 minutes "re-discovering" about the hdmi killing output on other connections

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
thanks for the tip - i know i'd have spent 30 minutes "re-discovering" about the hdmi killing output on other connections
To further confuse you, it doesn't shut the composite off as soon as the HDMI cable is connected - only when the HDMI cable is active. If you leave the HDMI cable connected you will get a picture over the composite cable as long as the HDMI output is not being used. You need to know this because you might start a recording using the composite output then switch the TV to the HDMI input. As soon as you switch the TV to the HDMI input the composite video gets shut off, but you won't know it was shut off until you review the recording. I made several partially blank recordings before I realized what was going on.

·
Registered
262 Posts
good to know, thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
not sure what newegg and lasership did, but they got the Roku 2 XS here inside of 48 hours from time of order and i'm in VA, and newegg is in california. And i opted for the free shipping svc

Got it hooked up and damn, didn't realize how slow the interface on the sony player was (especially for netflix) compared to this roku. Love it.

Tomorrow AM i'll try to record and see what happens

·
Registered
262 Posts
well this morning went to dub from netflix and got the same CP msg - so either the video filter is letting one CP signal thru or netflix is injecting their own proprietary CP signal that the video filter isn't set up to catch/strip. Haven't heard back from Logic Design so if anyone using the video filter has recently recorded a netflix program, i'd appreciate hearing about it. Key word is "recently" . I got the signal on a number of netflix programs, didn't matter if it was a recent series (Orange is the New Black) or an old BBC program (mid 80s release), it still refused to record.

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
I seem to remember Logic Design talking about such a scenario, I thought he had it nailed down, hopefully he'll get back to you soon. I've never ran into a CP signal that either my Sima CT-2 or Grex hasn't been able to remove(PPV, BD, DVD) but I haven't tried nor do I own a Roku. At some point I should try recording Netflix from my WD Live media player, I also have a older Sony SMP-N200 media player, if anything would be hard to record from it would be a Sony product :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
problem resolved - one of the members here PM'd me the solution, posted below - i had assumed the "X"s on the dip switch selection chart were an indication that switch's position was not critical - it could be a little clearer on the video filter's web, but in case for anyone else new to the video filter, below is what made it possible to dub netflix shows:

"Switches 1 and 4 must be used together to set the input/output ports. Switches 2 and 3 are used independently to set the output aspect ratio and copy protection level.

Input/Output - Switches 1 & 4
Composite - 1 UP, 4 DOWN
S-Video - 1 DOWN, 4 UP

Aspect Ratio - Switch 2
16:9 - UP
4:3 - DOWN

Copy Protection - Switch 3
Copy Always - UP
Copy Once - DOWN"

Basically, the first three switches in UP position, the last or 4th switch in Down position sets the video filter to remove all CP code and for composite connection.

but an easier or more logical way to understand the dip switches, 1 & 4 relate to connection type, 2 to aspect ratio and 3 to CP strippingI haven't tried it but this would probably have made the Roku's purchase unnecessary but to be frank, the speed of the Roku's interface and processor (ie the speed that it loads a movie or any selection) makes it a keeper. I might return this one, as it's a refurb and last night it kept "rebooting", maybe 6-7 times in the course of 2 hours of viewing, but only return it for exchange or upgrade to a new one.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I used to run all Roku2XS units but because of all the rebooting problems they have I had to "mothball them and replace with "sticks". I use one 2XS to record from because of the component output and for some reason it never seems to reboot.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I used to run all Roku2XS units but because of all the rebooting problems they have I had to "mothball them and replace with "sticks". I use one 2XS to record from because of the component output and for some reason it never seems to reboot.
if it's a common issue with the 2 XS, that might explain why my unit looked brand new, not even any handling marks - suspect it got returned and whoever inspected was not going to use it 4-6 hours looking for the first reboot. I'm going to keep it another day or so and see if it's a common occurance, if not i'll probably keep this one.

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
Upon advice from a very PC Centric AVS'er I purchased the WD Live media player(over the Roku) and I couldn't be happier. I'd strongly suggest it, oh and it also has a composite output(which I assume works even if using HDMI but I have not verified this yet). This is the one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KOZNBW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2FOFVDA67L13W&coliid=I60SHQTRURBWU
I purchased the aforementioned Sony media player because of it's S-video output but it's stone age compared to the WD and I really don't use the Sony anymore.

·
Registered
262 Posts
appreciate but the roku hit so many things right, i'd rather not risk loosing some of the features. Hell, even the button layout on the remote is frigging so intuitive, plus the buttons are just right in terms of requiring just the right level of effort to give a positive feel, and prevent accidental button execution. Hard to convey but they really did hit it right for me - the wife unit said the same thing.

curious - is the WD interface and operation fast - my sony was so slow i felt i was growing old (er) waiting for whatever i'd selected to activate. The roku, even loading a movie is maybe 3-4 seconds max and usually 2 seconds, but i usually have a 56Mbs download speed

·
Registered
891 Posts
if it's a common issue with the 2 XS, that might explain why my unit looked brand new, not even any handling marks - suspect it got returned and whoever inspected was not going to use it 4-6 hours looking for the first reboot. I'm going to keep it another day or so and see if it's a common occurance, if not i'll probably keep this one.
Not all 2XS's have the reboot problem which started with the 5.3 FW update and continued thru the 5.4 FW update (which was hoped would fix the issue).Test yours for a few days to see if it does.If it does you'll know pretty quickly.My 2XS had the problem and would reboot sometimes as often as 2-3 times per day,but cleared up with the new 5.5 FW update and now runs flawlessly again,while others who've received the 5.5 FW update continue to have the problem.Also check to see which FW your unit is running,it may need updating.If it says FW 5.5/Build 320 then it's current.
If your unit has the current FW but still exhibits the problem you might consider swapping it out for a New Roku-2.It's similar to the 2XS,has the same processor,but unfortunately is wireless only.Give Roku a chance to prove itself,Roku is the best overall player on the market (maybe that's one reason why Vince Mcmahon brought the WWE network exclusively to Roku).No other player out there has the huge number of channels as Roku,nor the support from channel developers.

·
Registered
262 Posts
thanks, will check the firmware - i like the wired option on the 2XS so it'd be a swap out for same unit, even if another refurb

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Not all 2XS's have the reboot problem which started with the 5.3 FW update and continued thru the 5.4 FW update (which was hoped would fix the issue).Test yours for a few days to see if it does.If it does you'll know pretty quickly.My 2XS had the problem and would reboot sometimes as often as 2-3 times per day,but cleared up with the new 5.5 FW update and now runs flawlessly again,while others who've received the 5.5 FW update continue to have the problem.
Maybe that refurb was returned by the original purchaser because of the reboot issue.

I have 5.5 build 320 on both of mine. One of them rebooted once in a while, maybe twice a week with heavy use, but the other one has only rebooted maybe twice total since it was purchased a couple of years ago. I got the 5.5 update on Thursday and no reboots so far but I haven't ran that unit enough to know if it fixed anything or not.

81 - 100 of 148 Posts