AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what this is? Is this some type of spot burn? It is definately not on the c-element, because as I shine my flashlight back and forth, it doesn't move with the light, it stays in the same spot.

Also, assuming that little line were not there, how would you rate this tube on a scale of 1-10?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
That is a phosphor burn caused by too many electrons hitting too small of an area in a given amount of time. The horizontal deflection circuits were not moving the tube's electron beam left and right while the video drive was still active.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Horizontal collapse which beam struck the tube.

Terry

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. :(

Would this tube still be good for displaying 2.35:1? Since the mark is only on the lower portion of the tube? Or rather, will this blow up my parts projector if I try to use it? :D

Btw, would this indicate a bad board somewhere in the machine, or is this type of problem usually user (loser) related?

·
Registered
524 Posts
How about using it for 16:9, and moving the raster up to the top? Than you can have your screen lower, and the projection angle from the ceiling to be less, since it will work kind of like a lens shift system (since lenses flip, moving the raster up will cause the image on screen to move down)

Cheers,

Alex

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
It'll be fine. That damage is caused by a deflection failure in the projector, not the tube itself.

That is why I always swap a set of toasted tube into any unknown projector I happen to trip over.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
It could simply have been caused by a user accidentally leaving the pj on while flipping the wiring from floor to ceiling.

I bought one that way from a user who did exactly that. If you have a spare worn tube of any color you might want to test it with the spare and see if it shows any deflection problems, and also check the deflection yoke and if all is well then maybe that is what happened here.

Troy

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. It's not a P19.

Troy, how is the road rash healing? Get well soon!

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Road rash is healing nicely except an ugly gash on my chin left a nasty scar and my shoulder looks horrible too. Most of my face healed with no scarring and my arm which looked horrible at first didn't scar too bad either.

I have to go back in to see the doctor because I have at least one (maybe two) broken fingers I didn't even realize until the swelling went down. Now I can feel it's just not right there's at least small slivers moving around in there.

Troy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.