AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Wii a few months ago, bought all kinds of things for it, games, controllers etc etc. But i've only played the thing like 3 or 4 times. Everytime i want to play a game i end up just going to my Xbox 360 or PS3. Its just weird because i was so excited to have a Wii after playing it at a friends house. But now that i have it, its pretty much just a paper weight. Maybe its just due to how busy i am at work and with my GF, but regardless what a bummer to feel this way about it......ahhh oh well i guess.


Anyone else bought one of these things only to have it end up being useless?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Then sell it or give it to someone who will use it. We all buy things we think we want or need and end up not using them after the novelty wears off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,253 Posts
I lack a PS3/360 (and no interest in either at this time) but our Wii gets fired up daily. Fit gets near daily use, and right now the "games" that are getting lots of play are Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Lego Star Wars, Godfather:Blackhand Ed. and recently have gone back to complete No More Heroes & am considering a return to Super Mario Galaxy to try & get ALL the power stars.

No Guitar Hero as of late, as I beat all track on all but the most difficult settings. Can't wait got GH:World Tour this fall!!


Only accessory we have ever purchased was the silicone "condom" for the Balance Board (also have Wii Zapper/Link's Crossbow training - received as gift).


If your Wii is taking up space...bet you could find a buyer easily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,679 Posts
Yeah, no reason to force yourself to like something even if you feel you should. The Wii's certainly not for everyone (nor is any other system). Unless there's games coming up for it that you're really excited for, it might be a good idea to craigslist it and sink the funds into your other two systems.


Though frankly, I've never understood how any working adult has time for all three systems!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,649 Posts
I own all three consoles - 360, PS3, Wii - and have a fulltime job, so gaming time can sometimes be at a premium. I find each goes thru phases where I rarely touch it. During the two weeks that I focused on Metroid Prime: Corruption, I never even turned on the other two consoles. Since finishing the game, I haven't powered up the Wii at all and have been going thru Overlord on the 360. I haven't played a PS3 game in months; Uncharted was the last game I worked thru and that held 100% of my attention at the time. Once a new, suitably compelling Wii game comes around it will go back to the front of the queue. That's usually the way it works when you own multiple consoles. The upside is that you have far more options for what games to try out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thats probably a big part of my problem, just not having the time to play. Hell i only fire up my Xbox 360 once a week or every other week. And my PS3 is mainly used for Blurays. I bought Metal Gear Solid 4 when it came out and still havent had the time to pop it in yet (Hmmm i suppose i could be playing that now instead of typing away on here lol). And also probably just the games the Wii has is another reason i dont play it. They all seem just a bit childish (to me anyways, thats just my opinion). Not to mention 480p is the highest resolution it can get, so i'd never buy a game on the Wii if it was also on PS3 or Xbox 360. But on the bright side i guess my Wii's not totally useless. When my GF's sister comes over they hop right and play all the Mario's and Mario Kart and all that stuff.


Anyways this wasnt a thread asking what i should do about my non use of the Wii. I was simply just curious if anyone else felt the same way thats all
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 /forum/post/14173327


I bought my Wii a few months ago, bought all kinds of things for it, games, controllers etc etc. But i've only played the thing like 3 or 4 times. Everytime i want to play a game i end up just going to my Xbox 360 or PS3. Its just weird because i was so excited to have a Wii after playing it at a friends house. But now that i have it, its pretty much just a paper weight. Maybe its just due to how busy i am at work and with my GF, but regardless what a bummer to feel this way about it......ahhh oh well i guess.


Anyone else bought one of these things only to have it end up being useless?

Same thing happened to me. Probably doesn't help that lots of great stuff has been coming out for other systems that I have great interest in (MGS4, new Battlefield, etc). I sold mine to break even; I figured I'd give someone who did want one but couldn't find one a deal, and I wouldn't screw myself (or others) by giving it to Gamestop.


That said, a big part of my disappointment with the Wii is the storage thing. I know it's not a big deal for everybody, and that's cool. I do like the Wii, and appreciate what it's doing for the image of videogames; I'm also really happy that Nintendo has created a huge success story again. But for me personally, it just wasn't suiting my needs, even with the couple of great games that I absolutely loved on it.


I'll probably search one out when there is a price drop (or some surprise huge title). Also, if they let me use a USB HDD, I'll come back to it.


tl;dr - No, you aren't the only one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,230 Posts
Sounds like you bought it just for the cool factor and bragging rights that you have it. I have Wii and 360. Play both just as much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn /forum/post/14177778


Sounds like you bought it just for the cool factor and bragging rights that you have it. I have Wii and 360. Play both just as much.

LOL Bragging rights for having a video game system?

I bought it because i thought it was a cool unique idea for a gaming system, which it most definetly is. But certainly doesnt give someone bragging rights, unless that person is a child. Adults dont need to brag about what they own, and if they do, well thats a shame for them.


Take care everyone
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,143 Posts
My wii doesn't get much use either right now,and while I appreciate the novel control scheme,there are some occasions when I don't feel like making alot of motions while playing a game.Most of my gaming is done at night,after a day's work,which is usually when I have the least energy.In those moments, a standard control scheme is the desirable option for me,with minimum movement for when I feel like being a lazy a$$.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,230 Posts
Considering how hard they are to find and how every one wants one. Just because its the "cool" thing to have right now. That's what I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 /forum/post/14181677


LOL Bragging rights for having a video game system?

I bought it because i thought it was a cool unique idea for a gaming system, which it most definetly is. But certainly doesnt give someone bragging rights, unless that person is a child. Adults dont need to brag about what they own, and if they do, well thats a shame for them.


Take care everyone
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP /forum/post/14176433


I own all three consoles - 360, PS3, Wii - and have a fulltime job, so gaming time can sometimes be at a premium. I find each goes thru phases where I rarely touch it. During the two weeks that I focused on Metroid Prime: Corruption, I never even turned on the other two consoles. Since finishing the game, I haven't powered up the Wii at all and have been going thru Overlord on the 360. I haven't played a PS3 game in months; Uncharted was the last game I worked thru and that held 100% of my attention at the time. Once a new, suitably compelling Wii game comes around it will go back to the front of the queue. That's usually the way it works when you own multiple consoles. The upside is that you have far more options for what games to try out.

Thats exactly how I am, I havent touched the Wii in a while since I have been playing GTA4 and MGS4 on the PS3 with the little bit of free time I have. My friends play the Wii Lego Star Wars but they havent played in a while and I haven't touched it since Mario Kart came out. 360 got turned on for the first time in weeks and immediately RROD (probably pissed it wasn't being used) so that got sent in and I just it got back last week so I we played a little rockband but that's it. No time to really enjoy all three but it is nice to have choices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,595 Posts
I have all 3 as well...when all 3 are working at least
MY first Wii died on me...darn video card issue.



I float back and forth as well. While my 360 is my fav gaming machine, right now it hasn't been on since the release and completion of gta4. I then went to SMG and finally got all the stars, then MGS4, now I'll float to something else. There are weeks if not months where one system gets neglected, but the joy of having all the systems, and lets not forget the PC, is that when it comes to AAA titles, they don't come out everyday but if you have all 3 systems chances are you'll always have something to play.


I got to say though, out of all my systems, the Wii is the biggest disappointment for games. Everyone hates on the PS3 for lack of games, but the real loser is the Wii. Outside of maybe 10 decent games, there's nothing else for it but warioware crap and poor cheese ball games.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez /forum/post/14177694


Same thing happened to me. Probably doesn't help that lots of great stuff has been coming out for other systems that I have great interest in (MGS4, new Battlefield, etc). I sold mine to break even; I figured I'd give someone who did want one but couldn't find one a deal, and I wouldn't screw myself (or others) by giving it to Gamestop.


That said, a big part of my disappointment with the Wii is the storage thing. I know it's not a big deal for everybody, and that's cool. I do like the Wii, and appreciate what it's doing for the image of videogames; I'm also really happy that Nintendo has created a huge success story again. But for me personally, it just wasn't suiting my needs, even with the couple of great games that I absolutely loved on it.


I'll probably search one out when there is a price drop (or some surprise huge title). Also, if they let me use a USB HDD, I'll come back to it.


tl;dr - No, you aren't the only one.

Just curious, how do you find the storage space limiting?


I bought a 2gb card for mine and the only semi useful idea I have for that card is to backup save game data, and really only I care about Mario Kart cause it takes so damn long to get through all the circuits to unlock stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, well considering i dont use the Wii anymore and none of the games have any interest to me, i ended up selling it this weekend on craigslist. Got over $500 for it with a few accessories and a couple games so i definetly cant complain. I'll stick with the PS3 and XBOX 360. A couple of friends and some family members have the Wii so i can always play it at parties or what not. Great system but it will not be missed, wasnt for me. I hope you all enjoy your Wii's and if anyone feels the same way i did at least you can make all your money back. Take care everyone, have fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,679 Posts
Congrats on the sale -- that's a nice margin for you. Added bonus about the Wii, it's pretty safe in a "try and buy" situation, since the ongoing shortage makes it pretty likely you won't have to take much of a loss if you end up wanting to sell it, and in fact are likely to profit...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
I have a Wii and a 360 and rarely use either one these days. If I'm not at work I'm at home spending time with my girlfriend. If I'm not there or at work I'm out doing something more fun than video games.


I want to play Mario Kart but can't find a copy to save my life. My girlfriend is waiting on Force Unleashed which means I'll get less TV time than I do now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebackhus /forum/post/14235822


I have a Wii and a 360 and rarely use either one these days. If I'm not at work I'm at home spending time with my girlfriend. If I'm not there or at work I'm out doing something more fun than video games.


I want to play Mario Kart but can't find a copy to save my life. My girlfriend is waiting on Force Unleashed which means I'll get less TV time than I do now.

If your gf is awaiting FORCE UNLEASHED (last reviews say that the Wii controls have been overhauled & work wonderfully - this game's gonna rock!), she might also be interested in this one:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35358.html


A Wii-exclusive title from LucasArts that ties in w/ the CLONE WARS animated series/"movie". Instead of your normal movie tie-in game, the whole game is lightsaber duels utilizing the Wiimote (which is what we all wanted to do w/ those controls since they first were announced....admit it!).


Thinking this one is a blind buy for me as well as UNLEASHED.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top