AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the process of telling my 4160 *not* to record the X-Files finale from KTTV tonight, since I watched it live on my local affiliate. It gave me the "please wait"........

And I waited.....

And I waited.....

And I waited.....

And I waited.....

And the "please wait" never went away. I pressed the power button and held it in to do a soft reboot. It didn't reboot. I pulled the power cord to do a HARD reboot.

When it came back up, I found DOZENS of shows I had recorded and preserved in my Replay Guide are now MISSING!!!!!!

EVERY movie or TV episode on which I had exercised the "preserve this episode" function, including the last three episodes of 24, X-Files, AND Angel, the 9/11 special, and several rarely shown Vincent Price movies, is now GONE!!!!!!!

And instead of the 51 hours or so available in medium quality it had been showing before, it now shows 77 hours!

I presume this means my preserved shows somehow got ERASED???????

I thought the whole point of preserving shows was to keep them from getting erased????

All the shows I didn't really care about, and did NOT preserve, are still there.

Can someone tell me what happened here????????????????

Thanks....

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
first let me say - whoa dude - massive bummer.

You may be able to pull the drive and use ExtractRTV to pull the mpeg files. I think you might have lost some index on the RTV, but the mpeg files might still be there.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
When you pull the plug on the Replay, it shuts down and when it comes back up it checks the drive for errors. If any are found it fixes them. If they are in the directory, then it replaces it with blank entries. In effect, you erased them. :)

It is a major bummer, but not something that could have been avoided and there is little you can do to prevent it in the future, execpt unplugging your Replay no more often than you need to.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Serra and Bigjohns....

Next question....

There are now four blank entries in my Replay Guide, and I can't erase them! I highlight them, hit Delete, confirm Yes I want to delete the Replay channel "" (nothing between the quotation marks because the "title" was a blank), and nothing happens. The four blank entires will not go away no matter how many times I try to delete them!

Suggestions?

Thanks....

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
You may be heading for a 777 zones reset. It sounds like the reset was a partial restore. I've had this happen on pre 4000's, where after a lockup, the stored shows are trashed. It may take a factory reset to rid those blank entries.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ed....

But does this factory reset also wipe out the few shows I had left?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way, I sent ReplayTV tech support an e-mail duplicating my first post in this thread and adding the info about not being able to delete the blank entries. Sent it Sunday night and so far have not received a reply. Have to say that's a bit disappointing....

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Yes, you would loose everything, clean slate. You can let it limp around, or extract your shows and reset it. I don't know, maybe you could try changing zipcode and thereby forcing a channel lineup reload, then changing back. Not much left that's non-destructive and non-invasive.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Simandl
Thanks Serra and Bigjohns....

Next question....

There are now four blank entries in my Replay Guide, and I can't erase them! I highlight them, hit Delete, confirm Yes I want to delete the Replay channel "" (nothing between the quotation marks because the "title" was a blank), and nothing happens. The four blank entires will not go away no matter how many times I try to delete them!

Suggestions?

Thanks....
Could you try renaming them first, then deleting? Just a shot in a dark. I assume they're not playable, do they have any length or are they those "less than one minute." Can you preserve them? Try anything you can do with them. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ****

Could you try renaming them first, then deleting? Just a shot in a dark. I assume they're not playable, do they have any length or are they those "less than one minute." Can you preserve them? Try anything you can do with them. Good luck.
Hi ****,

They won't rename, either. No length listed (though when I hack into it with Replayer, Replayer shows them with lengths of 30055 minutes, 21456 minutes, and I forget the other one, something equally huge).

Looks like I'm gonna have to copy off what I can, then do the 777 Zones that Ed mentioned...

Thanks...

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Rempalski
You may be heading for a 777 zones reset. It sounds like the reset was a partial restore. I've had this happen on pre 4000's, where after a lockup, the stored shows are trashed. It may take a factory reset to rid those blank entries.
Hi Ed,

I've got almost everything copied off to my PC that I need to keep, figure I'll be able to do this 777 Zones Reset in about an hour.

Do I just hit 7 three times, then hit Replay Zones? And then is it fairly easy to follow some onscreen directions after that? And then when it's done, I presume it will be just like it was when brand new and I'll need to enter all my network and input settings, delete my unused channels from the Channel Guide, and re-enter all my shows into the Replay Guide again?

Thanks...

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I don't think Ed will mind if I jump in here. 7-7-7 and then within 3 to 5 seconds press the "zones" button. If you take too long zones screen will open up instead of the 777 zones screen. Highlight "restore factory default" and press enter. You will be asked if you are sure you want to do proceed, answer yes. The unit will reboot and you'll be at the setup screen to input your information. Thats it.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
I don't think Ed will mind if I jump in here. 7-7-7 and then within 3 to 5 seconds press the "zones" button. If you take too long zones screen will open up instead of the 777 zones screen. Highlight "restore factory default" and press enter. You will be asked if you are sure you want to do proceed, answer yes. The unit will reboot and you'll be at the setup screen to input your information. Thats it.
Hi Mike,

Cool, the last thing I needed to copy off has about 20 minutes to go, and then it's factory default time!!!!!

Thanks....

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Sorry I didn't get back sooner.... but you should try myReplayTV to delete the shows. I've found that things that will not work properly work fine when you use myreplaytv to delete them.

I've even found orphan recording hiding on my replay would could be deleted from myreplaytv that did not show up on my menu.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Serra,

Oh well, too late now. I've already done the 777 Zones reset thing. Kinda glad to see two of those Vincent Price movies I lost already got shown again by Flix and AMC and I already got 'em back. Maybe the rest of 'em aren't so "rarely shown," after all (I can always hope).....

Thanks...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.