AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen this date in different posts where people have called DTV concerning getting 3.7. The CSR said that "the upgrade will be in the stream until December 23".

Did they say anything else about what would happen after that date?

Does anyone have any info?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe after that date they remove the upgrade from the stream and the receiver will have to dialup and download 3.7?

Wait.. no, let's start with the 3.8 rumors, heck, let's just go straight to 4.0! I've heard that we get 4.0 on Dec 24th. Features include the ability to record 4 channels at once, USB HD support, broadband support, and much more! :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
It would be rather cool if a pvr had an internal multiplexer....

USB harddrive support would be an easy addition for ms...

Same for broadband...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Let me say what everyone is thinking: “Is that the date MSN disconnects all UTV receivers and stops support?†That may be about the date that the new Tivo HDTV DirecTV receivers will become available.

I want that new receiver and would pre-order it now. But I plan to keep my UTV too! (that monthly fee is well worth it) Time will tell, but if you look back to the old WebTV boxes sold in 1996 before MS bought them, they are still being supported by MSN and they even sell a new box, too. Not a very hot Hi-Tech item these days.

Most of us are very happy with our present UTV PVR’s and would buy a new one or a HD unit with UTV software if it was ever manufactured. Guess we have the Ford Edsel, or a GM Oldsmobile of the PVR’s. It’s amazing how many have not abandon these boxes, and feel they have the best. Makes me sick that UTV is not even mentioned in most PVR articles nowadays, but I guess it is only fair since they are no longer being manufactured. Think MS pulled the plug too soon on UTV. They would have been #2 behind Tivo by now, but ahead of those 501/508 Dish units, if promoted. But DirecTV wouldn’t have done that, so maybe that is only hopeful thinking on my part. At least they have supported it with the surprise release of the 3.7 upgrade, but the future looks bleak for most of us, that are “Early Adaptersâ€.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by notlocddot
Maybe after that date they remove the upgrade from the stream and the receiver will have to dialup and download 3.7?

Wait.. no, let's start with the 3.8 rumors, heck, let's just go straight to 4.0! I've heard that we get 4.0 on Dec 24th. Features include the ability to record 4 channels at once, USB HD support, broadband support, and much more! :D
It's actually the 3.9 upgrade scheduled to begin Christmas Eve. What it effectively does is lock up your UTV and displays the message, "Call extension 721."

When you call, the CSR sets up arrangements for you to swap your UTV for a DTivo at a charge of $50, or an even swap for a non-PVR refurbished STB of their choice. The CSR then releases the lockout for two weeks until your refurbished unit arrives. However, you must have a credit card to effect the switch and you have to commit to 1 year of additional service at your current level.

At least that's "a rumor."

:D

Don't believe every rumor you hear.

·
Registered
17,592 Posts
Sonic Blue, now that they have sold off ReplayTV, have put in a bid to take over the UTV operation. They will begin releasing new units and software (based on the Linux kernel) December 1st of this year. All current UTVs will be switched over and subscibers will have the option of paying a one time $149 lifetime subsciption ($249 for new subscribers but with a $50 service rebate) or continue at $9.95 a month.

New units will range from 35 - 200 hours of recording time and will include dual-drive models. The new 150 and 200 hour units will be quad-tuner designs (2 DTV, 2 OTA) and the tuners will use a modular, swappable (similar to PC cards) design allowing them to be upgraded to HD.

New features will include ethernet, firewire and DVI output (on 150 and 200 hr units), faster search, program sharing and Internet programming of the units. The firewire port will allow the connection of an add-on super-slim external DVD burner which will fit under the unit and be available by spring 2004.

Network-only units (cannot record, only play) will be available by February of 2004 to expand viewing of the main unit to other rooms without purchasing a full unit. These will be available for $79.99 each.

UTV will also take on the brushed metal look of the original ReplayTVs.

Hows that for a rumor? :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually asked the above question about Dec 23 to find out if the CSRs actually divulged any more "real" information about what's expected then. Sounds like they're consistent & definite about the date.

Did any who called about getting the 3.7 upgrade & were given the date get told anything more?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by watching
I actually asked the above question about Dec 23 to find out if the CSRs actually divulged any more "real" information about what's expected then. Sounds like they're consistent & definite about the date.
Isn't the original contract between DTV and MS up soon? I personally don't expect anything to change on our end when the contract does end, but DTV is probably playing it safe by not making any promises it can't keep. Just speculation, not a rumor:)

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV

Network-only units (cannot record, only play) will be available by February of 2004 to expand viewing of the main unit to other rooms without purchasing a full unit. These will be available for $79.99 each.

UTV will also take on the brushed metal look of the original ReplayTVs.

Hows that for a rumor? :)
Just one flaw I see. Nobody would buy the view only units, because with RPTV you can set a PC up as a 2nd unit to transfer & play shows (not a rumor). Also, apparently it will not or does not work in Canada. Nobody in the RPTV forum seems to have heard of SC (also, not a rumor).

You forgot to include the number for more info on the "deal." 1-888-LUV-BLUE.

(I don't know if that is a real number or not, so don't call it)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Quote:
I have seen this date in different posts where people have called DTV concerning getting 3.7. The CSR said that "the upgrade will be in the stream until December 23".

Hi,

As I read one of the posts about Dec. 23, 2003 it read something like:

"3.7 will be sent out daily till Dec. 23, 2003..."

So I'd assume that would make things more like they had been with 3.5 .

If you have an UTV (that you got off the shelf or disconnected long ago) and connect it to the stream you'll get the latest upgrade via Sat. if needed. You would not likely get it within 24 hrs but probably in a few days...

Since UTVs aren't growing on trees anymore there really shouldn't be a need to have the 3.7 upgrade in the stream every day. Except to get everyone up to the new (P4) standard.

Hope the rumors of a nice MSNTV/UTV christmas present are true.

Later,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sonic Blue was developing a DVD player that interfaced into their PVR's and allowed you to stream the media through the DVD player. This would have been great becuase you could have a few Sonic Blue PVR's in the closet recording shows and watch any of them from a Sonic Blue DVD player. The DVD player would sell because the current PVR's do not have DVD players and they would be half the cost. with no subscription fees. Unfortunately the future looks bleek and I sold off my Sonic Blue because of their uncertain future.

The freevo style units are making huge gains and could eventually replace our current PVR units. THere is one on the web that can record 4 channels at the same time. and cost 600.00 to build. No sub fees either and the interface looks better than a TIVO. Just dont know linux enough to do it. But Microsoft has sort of abandoned us so maybe its time to abandon them with a linux box.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
i am surprised that you guys don't know what happens december 23rd. it's my birthday of course :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
SWEET! Walgreens is open. I knew there had to be something......

·
Registered
204 Posts
and it is the day when my kids reach the 1,000,000 mark with the question

"is it christmas yet?"

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:

They don't want to waste precious satellite bandwith. All upgrades should have happened long before then and those that haven't can dial in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.