AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i run a HTPC at 1024x576 resolution through a lt150 projecting onto a 107"diag 16:9 screen what happens to the extra pixels? Are they still projected as black towards the screen? Or are these pixels just shut off because of the DLP technology?

Aaron

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
If you set a custom resolution like that on your HTPC, then I think the projector may scale it to fit, distorting your display. The whole point of using an HTPC is to bypass the projector's internal scaler, and the general consensus is to drive the projector at it's native resolution and refresh rate, which in your case would be 1024x768 x 60Hz. Your computer will do the necessary scaling of anamorphic DVD's and size up to the projector's native resolution. This is the best way to do it. You will not need to use 16:9 mode on the projector. In fact, you will not be able to. It will be disabled upon sensing the computer type signal. Cinema mode is for video sources and in my case it works better than letting my player convert the anamorphic images. hope this helps.

------------------

Kenwood KR-V990D Receiver

Apex AD-800 DVD Player

Pioneer CLD-D606 Laserdisc Player

Sony SLV-778HF HiFi VCR

Sony 35" Trinitron TV

Acoustic Research TSW-510 Main speakers

Infinity Center speaker

Boston Acoustics Rear in-wall speakers

Denon 8" subwoofer

NEC LT150 Projector

Dalite 100" model B matte white

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Actually, many of the digital projectors can be set as what would amount to a "Retain Aspect Ratio" setting, otherwise listed in my LP350's menu as "Resize". This allows you to watch HDTV in the proper aspect ratio. I've never bothered to try setting the HTPC to 1024x576, but when I'm watching HDTV, the black bars on the top an bottom are very dark grey, but never totally black (light off).

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Aaron,

To the best of my knowledge the unused pixela are off. However, due to the nature of the DLP this just means the signal they recieve is considered black and the mirrors for those pixels are never tilted to the "reflect light out the lens position". With the Lt150 being fed RGBhv and set to the native mode, any signal that does not exceed a panel dimension will not be scaled.

Frode however reports that upon receiving 720 x 480 in RGB mode ( a la SKYWORTH )the projector "thinks" it is receiving 640 x 480. I think I have that right. Don't know if that is a special case or one of many other magic resolution misfits.

------------------

plug in to play

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I have setup my HTPC using 1024 x 576. No problems. Scaling is fine. And I don't have to worry about using YXY to move the DVD Image around. I also have the 1024 x 576 pixels defined at the top of the screen. This way I only have to mask the bottom part of my 4x3 screen for widescreen movies. Then for 4x3 stuff (normal tv) I can just change resolutions to 1024 x 768, and pull the screen down to it's full heigth. Masking this type of setup is super simple. Just put side curtains around the screen, and attach black velvet to the bottom screen bar. This way when you bring the screen up and down, the masking goes with it. Anyway, back to the posters subject, you can do it, it works well, no scaling anomolies ala the skyworth situation.

------------------

Adam

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Ok, I was wrong. Sorry for the bad info. I don't use an HTPC, but I know how they work, aside from resolution tricks.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
lawdawg, do you use a 1024x576 resolution and set the projector to native mode - or 1024x768 with front/back porches set so that you get 1024x576?

------------------

/frode

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.